Do You Still Ride When Sick?

I do but not very vigorous. It's a good idea to exercise while being sick in order to give you that extra strength.
It really depends on what you are sick from, there are certain illnesses the best thing you can do is rest but there are others that this holds true.

It really depends on what you are sick from, there are certain illnesses the best thing you can do is rest but there are others that this holds true.

Yes it really does depend on the illness. For the normal cold though, a little exercise is a good approach.

Well, sir. Your wife is very smart and it would be smart for you to listen to her from time to time. If you do not believe her you should go to a doctor who will explain why you should stay at home when you feel like this. Even though it is nothing serious yet you do not know that. In any case you will tire yourself by cycling and already damaged immune system will rest for some time and the thing you are about to have is going to spread faster. On the other hand, every flu or a fever that is not treated well or neglected is leaving a scar on your

It depends how sick I would feel. If I'm feverish hot and very weak , you can be sure as hell I'll not going to ride. But a minor flu will not stop me to hit the road :p.

It depends on why I'm sick. Some conditions can actually benefit from getting out as long as you don't over do it. Others could be worsened. Also the weather and timing of year matters as well.

Usually not, but I haven't been really sick (=longer than a day or two) for years now, so I'm not sure about my reaction. If I feel bad but have to cycle to get to my office, I certainly going to it.

It depends on how sick I am. If I'm sick enough where I feel weak, then I'm definitely not going out for a ride. If it's just a little cold, then I'll go out for a ride just to get some fresh air.

I think it helps to speed recovery from colds as long as you don't overdo it - the movement, fresh air, and exertion seem to help.
You can never go wrong with some fresh air. The exertion always clears any congestion you have in your airways. That's a huge benefit to riding when sick.

Exercising when I'm ill usually makes me feel a bit better.

Like I feel totally flushed out, you know when your whole head feels all bunged up and that? Yeah it gets rid of that for me.

I do understand that sometimes getting out in the fresh air can make a person feel better, but that depends on how sick you are in the first place.

Stomach upsets or headaches are ok to ride with I'd suggest, but any sort of back or muscle injuries then it's a definite no no for me, as that would just make it worse.

I have noticed that when I'm under the weather, if I can be persuaded to go outside and breathe some fresh air, it does often help me to feel better. I don't always have the energy to actually ride while sick, but just getting outside can definitely improve my mood, and attitude is half the battle when combating illness. If I'm not in the mood to ride, I'll just go for a walk with my hubby for a while and if that improves how I feel, I will then re-think the biking situation.

No, never. It's better to fully recover than going against your will. It's very probable that when you finish the ride, you'll be way worse. So in my case, i just prefer to wait, even if it's boring.

I have noticed that when I'm under the weather, if I can be persuaded to go outside and breathe some fresh air, it does often help me to feel better. I don't always have the energy to actually ride while sick, but just getting outside can definitely improve my mood, and attitude is half the battle when combating illness. If I'm not in the mood to ride, I'll just go for a walk with my hubby for a while and if that improves how I feel, I will then re-think the biking situation.

I've also found that in the past when I've not been well, sitting around indoors or in bed just as a tendency to make me feel worse aswell, and that's why I said that I think a lot depends on what's actually wrong with you.

If you can get on a bike and go for a ride without it hurting too much, then go for it, but otherwise just being up and out can make a difference. Saves you from being stuck indoors feeling sorry for yourself at least.

Reactions: Novelangel
No, never. It's better to fully recover than going against your will. It's very probable that when you finish the ride, you'll be way worse. So in my case, i just prefer to wait, even if it's boring.

Depending what's wrong with you, I do think that cycling with an injury and not just if your feeling under the weather isn't a good idea.

After any injury then it's best to seek the advice of a doctor, as like you say, sometimes going back riding too soon, could eventually mean that you are out even longer because you've gone back to riding too soon and done even more damage.

Reactions: Jcycle
I've also found that in the past when I've not been well, sitting around indoors or in bed just as a tendency to make me feel worse aswell, and that's why I said that I think a lot depends on what's actually wrong with you.

If you can get on a bike and go for a ride without it hurting too much, then go for it, but otherwise just being up and out can make a difference. Saves you from being stuck indoors feeling sorry for yourself at least.
Exactly! I'm usually not so sick that a little fresh air won't help at least a little bit. Of course, this past winter I had a touch of stomach flu and it felt like the world could end soon. :rolleyes: I didn't do ANYTHING my first day but lie in bed and read a book. By the second day, however, I was up more and ready to do a little bit. I didn't ride but at least I was more-or-less moving.

Reactions: pwarbi and Jcycle
I have issues that cycling helps alleviate, so it's a matter of which I would rather deal with on a sick day sometimes. Sometimes the short term cold or flu will win out over the chronic conditions and I wont go out, but usually if I don't go out I'll at least use the stationary for a bit.

Keeping active and trying to get on with your day the best you can is often a bigger cure than you think, and that doesn't mean just mean going to work and doing the everyday things, but exercise and cycling aswell.

If you've got two broken legs then obviously that's not going to happen but other ailments such as a cough or a cold, then exercise can help more than you think, even if exercise is the last thing on your mind you should make it the first.

I always want to go cycling even if I'm sick, but I have to be honest, I never accomplish my goals when I'm sick cycling. I get tired quicker than usual, I have issues to breath, so I try to take a rest, because my body literally ask for it. Also, I feel a lot of muscular pain whenever I ride while being sick.

Yes. It's a good way to flush out some toxins in your body. Besides, I feel more sicker doing nothing and just nursing my illness. Just make sure to do your ride in a place where has a fresh air and not polluted. It will help your body to relax and gain it's immune system.

I have had a cold for a couple of days and feel achey and weak but I want to go for a ride but my wife says no. :(

I strongly support your wife because she understands exactly that you aren't in the best health condition to ride at the moment. Remember it's cold flu that you are suffering from and mind you the amount and speed of breeze that comes with riding. So therefore, it's in your best interest to stay put and recover 100% before taking to your bike again.

I wouldn't even think of going for a ride when I'm ill or to even try consider it when my crazy mind cooks it up. I would rather be in doors and play bike race games if it's that much hard for me to resist not going to ride outside. I will do it inside on my Playstation 4 console.