Do You Still Ride When Sick?

Yes. I've always felt that it does me good helping to get over it. Maybe a 30 miler at a 60% effort. Nothing too strenuous. B)

I think it helps to speed recovery from colds as long as you don't overdo it - the movement, fresh air, and exertion seem to help.

That can be true, if we have a mild cold some exercise can send it away faster, but if we over do it we might get even sicker.

No, at least I try to to be rude when I'm ill :p

Seriously though, I try not to go outside a lot when I'm ill so no I don't ride when ill. What helps for me is huddling up on the couch with the heating on and a good book.

If it's something minor like a cold or a headache I'll still ride but anything worse and it's just not fun anymore. I'll still commute if I have to but I definitely avoid the trails when I'm sick, it's too hard to concentrate and stay aware.

The worst for me is cycling with a sore throat, especially when it's cold. I always end up breathing hard enough that my throat dries out and starts hurting even more. Having a stuffy nose sucks for the same reason.

Usually when I'm sick I push myself too hard and make the illness worse so I've been trying to be more mindful of that.

Colds for me are the early signs that my body is telling me to slow it down or have some rest. I usually catch a cold when I overtrain or when I am simply tired and need a good complete bed rest. Do not force yourself to train or go out when you feel sick

Reactions: cyclintom
I used to all the time when it was my preferred method of transportation. I don't so much anymore. My health issues are of the type where I can't do much when I'm sick these days. If you are reasonably healthy overall, a moderate or light amount of exercise can be a good thing even when you have a cold or minor illness.

I try to avoid going out when I've got a cold. Fortunately, I'll only seem to catch a cold every 3-4 years or so. Therefore it's not something I experience often. But I have cycled with the flu and I've got to admit that it's not a pleasant experience.

When I was younger I used to ride no matter what, but these days if I'm not too well I usually rest instead and give it a break.

Sometimes it can do you good, blow the cobwebs away so to speak, and you can come back feeling a bit better but I've also had times when I've been on the verge of collapsing when I've got back, because instead of pacing myself and making allowances for the fact I'm not well, I've tried to power through and ride as normal.

I have done this before but I really don't recommend it until you feel better. I know that the urge to go for a ride can be big but believe me it's not worth it. When I did it I regretted it shortly after I started sweating.

It really depends on the severity of the illness and the riding conditions at the time. Weather can be a big factor when sick.

Colds and seasonal illness: yes. I generally ride easy, but sometimes find a couple hard efforts feels better than the illness ****.
I do get pretty miserable migraines and those will keep my off the bike.

Recently I injured my Achilles' tendon and that has kept me from riding more than any illness ever has.

Yes.
Well I don't really get sick, but I do get hungover. A simple hangover can't keep me out of the saddle.

I am quite sick right now and the last thing I want is a cold bicycle ride.

But there were times when I was sick or hangover and it really helped me to get better, exercise is the best!

I'm now pretty much sick. I can't picture me riding a bike at the moment. It's not warm outside, so If I do this I'll get sicker and sicker.

I think it depends on how ill you are. Obviously if I'm unable to get out of bed then it would be unwise to ride, however if I am just feeling a little bit unwell I will sometimes still go out, because exercise can boost your immune system a little bit. But on the whole you do have to look after yourself. If you're not well, and you know you're not well, don't push yourself before you're ready.