Do You Take The Bike Pump With Yourself?

Froze said:
either that or exhale into a catalytic converter. I think it should be required by law, so that to limit CO2 going into the air, that we have to wear a miniature catalytic converter that looks like a gas mask at all time.
"Are you my mummy?" :D

Seriously though, it's always been a pretty big fear of mine that sooner or later some government somewhere is going to institute a tax on the air we breath. I know it's stupid but almost everything else has a tax on it...this could be the next one on the list.

doctorold said:
No pump. Co2. I have never used one though. 7 years...thousands of miles....and no flats....yet.
7 years no flats? Either you don't ride many miles or you live in an area with very pristine streets which I've never seen anywhere.

Froze said:
7 years no flats? Either you don't ride many miles or you live in an area with very pristine streets which I've never seen anywhere.

Depends on what he means by "thousands of miles". One year I did over 7300 miles (2005). I did a lot of riding in the mountains too preparing for Ride Around the Bear century. Since I was doing lots of training miles I used a good old fashioned Specialized Armadillo (not that race version ****). The Armadillo was so stiff and heavy that I could it could stand in the middle of the room by itself. :lol:

I wore it down so much that it looked like it had a solid red strip down the center of the tread. I did about 4,000 miles on it with no flat.

SO if this guy claims years and thousands of miles, it could be true. Some people do 1,000 miles per year and over a period of 3 years, that would make his claim true. :p

I had 3 flats this year---all in a one month stretch, two on the same general section of road. Two rear, one front. I didn't notice that the front was going flat until I cornered at a relatively fast pace. :eek:

Mr. Beanz said:
Depends on what he means by "thousands of miles". One year I did over 7300 miles (2005). I did a lot of riding in the mountains too preparing for Ride Around the Bear century. Since I was doing lots of training miles I used a good old fashioned Specialized Armadillo (not that race version ****). The Armadillo was so stiff and heavy that I could it could stand in the middle of the room by itself. :lol:

I wore it down so much that it looked like it had a solid red strip down the center of the tread. I did about 4,000 miles on it with no flat.

SO if this guy claims years and thousands of miles, it could be true. Some people do 1,000 miles per year and over a period of 3 years, that would make his claim true. :p
I use to use those Armadillo's too and I had one flat in about 15,000 miles but that was due to a very worn out tire, but I still carried the essentials to fix a flat. I like to know what kind of tires he's using.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Froze said:
Actually, the roads around here suck. I try to watch my path. I keep my tires pumped. It's a crazy streak that I know has to end soon. I am riding between 2500 and 4500 miles per year. The last several years I have taken some months off due to international travel otherwise my yearly average would be 500-1000 miles more per year. But it's stupid to think I pack stuff to fix a flat and have never had to use it. I could be saving some weight by leaving it home! Btw, I am running Continental Four Seasons 28s.

doctorold said:
Actually, the roads around here suck. I try to watch my path. I keep my tires pumped. It's a crazy streak that I know has to end soon. I am riding between 2500 and 4500 miles per year. The last several years I have taken some months off due to international travel otherwise my yearly average would be 500-1000 miles more per year. But it's stupid to think I pack stuff to fix a flat and have never had to use it. I could be saving some weight by leaving it home! Btw, I am running Continental Four Seasons 28s.
You watch your path? LOL. Come on, there is a lot of debris on the road that cause flats that the human eye never sees, or you're going too fast to make a correction to avoid it, or you avoid it with the front wheel but hit it with the rear wheel which is how it usually happens which explains why most flats are on the rear. Having ridden on Conti 4 seasons they're nothing special when it comes to flat resistance. I've been riding for over 40 years as well as others I know, and we all, including most on this forum, watch our paths and watch for debris, yet we all get flats, so either you've been extremely lucky or you're yanking our chains, and if it's luck then it's going to run out and you'll be without the tools to fix it...of course you could whip out the old cell phone and call your mommy..

I didn't use to take my pump with me until the day I thought I had a flat, but for some reason the tyre lost the air. It was a lot of work to get it filled again, so from that day on I always carry my pump.

Froze said:
You watch your path? LOL. Come on, there is a lot of debris on the road that cause flats that the human eye never sees, or you're going too fast to make a correction to avoid it, or you avoid it with the front wheel but hit it with the rear wheel which is how it usually happens which explains why most flats are on the rear. Having ridden on Conti 4 seasons they're nothing special when it comes to flat resistance. I've been riding for over 40 years as well as others I know, and we all, including most on this forum, watch our paths and watch for debris, yet we all get flats, so either you've been extremely lucky or you're yanking our chains, and if it's luck then it's going to run out and you'll be without the tools to fix it...of course you could whip out the old cell phone and call your mommy..
Yes, watch your path. Some folks ride in bike lanes that are full of debris. I don't. I will ignore the bike lanes and ride the car lanes when it's bad and return to the bike lanes when they are relatively clean. Lucky? Probably a bit. But I've never ridden without a spare tube and cartridge. But I also rode for two years on Bontragers and two years on Vittorio Rubino Slicks and had no flats on those (with almost 6000 miles on the Vittorios). I will disagree with your opinion on the 4 Seasons. Met a guy at NAHBS at the Conti booth who also had gone over two years without flats on those tires. So what's the secret? Dunno. No chain pulling but believe what you will.

It's funny the reasons some riders refuse to carry the essentials. I ride with a cheap MOFO who doesn't want to spend a dime or the time to go to a shop for extra tubes or a pump. I noticed he didn't have a pump or a seat bag so I asked where he carried his spare tubes. He said he didn't knowing I carried extra tubes. UUUUHHHH YEEEEEAH, NO! :angry:

I told him if he wants to continue riding with us he had to get his own stuff and not rely on us as I am not her to fund his hobby.

So the cheap MOFO goes to a bike shop and buys a n MTB front suspension fork pump to save money getting it on sale for $10. :mellow:

Once we stopped at a park to refill the water bottles. Some nice looking lady walks up with a jogging stroller and asks if we have a pump, she has a flat. Before I can answer the cheap MOFO shouts out, "YEAH WE GOT ONE!". Oh OK ! He looked at me and I told him, "you said you have a pump, help her out."

First of all I knew the tire wouldn't hold air and doubtful she had a spare tire or tube for the thing. But I let him pump his ass off for a few minutes with that little pump. That'll teach him to be a hero with zero....money. :lol:

I debated for a while on whether to carry C02 or regular mini pump. My conclusion, I would rather have something that never runs out but is slow than something that is convenient but requires more space in my bag and has a finite output. Mini-pump for me.

Saddle bag:
Pump, patch kit, 2 spoons, bike multi tool , tube,
Chain tool, 2 "Q"links,

In the frame bag:
Copy of ID & medical Ins card, $10 cash & TP in a plastic zip lock.
Add , house key, cell ph & camera, when I head out.

Some places here, no cell service.

I debated for a while on whether to carry C02 or regular mini pump. My conclusion, I would rather have something that never runs out but is slow than something that is convenient but requires more space in my bag and has a finite output. Mini-pump for me.

Yep, it's important to have a pump even if it's mini, especially on long rides. If it's a short ride I don't think it's necessary because the odds are on our favor and when parking I really don't feel like carrying stuff.

"Are you my mummy?" :D

Seriously though, it's always been a pretty big fear of mine that sooner or later some government somewhere is going to institute a tax on the air we breath. I know it's stupid but almost everything else has a tax on it...this could be the next one on the list.
What do you think the carbon tax is all about?

It's not a bad idea to carry one with you. I have a little one that I keep in my cycling backpack and myself and the other people in my group have definitely made use of it on a few occasions. We've usually got a spare tube or three between us as well, just in case.

For me this is one of those things where I'd much rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it and then have to walk my bike home.

That's the fact, it's way more convenient to carry a small pump that can really save the day than to have nothing and have to carry the bike by hand.