Do You Take The Bike Pump With Yourself?

Multiple riders...usually plenty of spare tubes and CO2.

A single rider out a long way from home...I take a micro-pump, CO2 and one of those small self-adhesive patch kits in addition to a tube. tire levers and a tire boot.

Even then, the cell phone is charged and full of help numbers.

Former Boy Scout...Be Prepared.

USABIKE800 said:
I want to buy a bike pump and my friend told me that is unnecessary.
how about you?

You need new friends! :lol:

I've seen riders on the side of the road with mountain bike/hybrid types. For some reason, they think the wider tires don't puncture. Everything flats sooner or later.

I didn't, but after getting a flat on my way to work this past week I now carry a spare tube, a patch kit, a pump and tire levers. Better be prepared than late :)

Unless you're not going to ride more than a 20 minute walking distance from your home, I will always recommend that you bring a pump along. Flats can occur at any given time, it's best to be prepared. But as I mentioned earlier, it's not the end of the world if you don't have a pump with you if you're in close proximity to your home. Chances are that if you're riding around a town or city, there will be at least several gas stations nearby. You can always fill up your tires here in case of an emergency.

Outside easy walking distance, I ALWAYS carry flat fixing stuff, incl a pump.
Only time I'd go on a group ride w/o bringing a pump or flat fixing stuff is when I've checked with another rider that (s)he has stuff to spare beforehand.
Maybe I'm out of stock, maybe I've forgot the kit at work maybe - whatever...
But generally I do try to bring my own kit. It's not a friendly thing to do to rely on others to spend their stuff to keep you riding.

I usually take it with me when I go for a ride since my rear tire is leaking a little bit so in longer ride it may be so empty that I am losing speed. However it would be easier to fix it but I am obviously too lazy to do it.

Damien Lee said:
Unless you're not going to ride more than a 20 minute walking distance from your home, I will always recommend that you bring a pump along. Flats can occur at any given time, it's best to be prepared. But as I mentioned earlier, it's not the end of the world if you don't have a pump with you if you're in close proximity to your home. Chances are that if you're riding around a town or city, there will be at least several gas stations nearby. You can always fill up your tires here in case of an emergency.

If you ride in sneakers that is fine but even a 1/2 mile in cycling shoes and cleats will thrash your equipment. I'd rather carry a $5 pump than go though the hassle and cost of replacing cleats. :huh:

Plus rolling a bike on the rim for 20 minutes could thrash a rim, that's a lot of money.

I've always got a pump and repair kit with me when I go mountain biking and even tho the trails I go aren't all that far from home, they proved invaluable a couple of times in the past so tthey're worth taking in my opinion.

I also have a road bike that I commute to work on but with that I'm not too bothered about a pump to be honest. I've got a flat once in probably over 5 years of doing it off and on and on that occasion all I did was lock the bike up securely and get a cab the rest of the way. Afterwards when I returned from work I just got the car out and went to pick it up again, no big deal.

USABIKE800 said:
I want to buy a bike pump and my friend told me that is unnecessary.
how about you?
Why would you even go riding without a pump, patches, glue (if not using glueless patches), spare tube, tire levers, and the knowledge to fix a flat? Obviously your friend isn't much of a cyclist! OUCH!!! I don't think I would be taking much more of his advice! OUCH again!!! I guess if you're only riding a mile or two from home then you could walk home so a pump maybe not as needed on the bike.

There are two really good mini pumps on the market that will get their advertised max PSI rating, most won't even get close! The Lezyne Road Drive, this pump comes in 3 sizes, don't be a weight weenie and get the largest size, the largest size requires less effort and less strokes the two other smaller sizes won't get to the claimed 160psi...not that you need to go that high but if the large one can get there then that means it can get to whatever PSI you use easier. The other pump is the Topeak Race Rocket HP, comes in one size but the Race Rocket series has smaller sizes and those like the Lezyne smaller ones will be a pain to use. There is another pump on the market called the Topeak Road Morph G, this thing is twice as long as the others and about twice as thick, plus the hose stores on the outside not the inside, it's heavier as well of course, but this pump is very easy to pump to high pressures due to it's size, remember what I said about smaller size pumps? And Road Morph G has a fold out foot peg and a fold out handle that turns it into a mini floor pump; its ungainly looking but it does work like a charm if you problems with strength to pump a HP tire with a mini pump; plus it comes with a PSI gauge but you have to check the accuracy of it against a known accurate gauge so you know if the Road Morph is off and by how much.

I don't ride with a pump but am considering getting on and strapping it onto the bike.

Then again I've seen some puncture proof tyres made by Michelin and am seriously considering giving them a try but on the other side of the coin if I did get them I would feel like a lazy ass for avoiding the chance of repairing in the field so to speak.

pwarbi said:
I also have a road bike that I commute to work on but with that I'm not too bothered about a pump to be honest. I've got a flat once in probably over 5 years of doing it off and on and on that occasion all I did was lock the bike up securely and get a cab the rest of the way. Afterwards when I returned from work I just got the car out and went to pick it up again, no big deal.
What kind of road bike do you ride? No way in the world would leave my roadie somewhere locked up. It would be stripped of parts when I got out of work. Duar Ace shifters would be gone, wheels would be gone, seat maybe, the crank, the Dura Ace derailleurs. May be even the carbon frame if I don't lock it up with a heavy duty towing chain. Which I would never carry on a bike since it would be heavier than the bike alone. :eek:

Susimi said:
I don't ride with a pump but am considering getting on and strapping it onto the bike.

Then again I've seen some puncture proof tyres made by Michelin and am seriously considering giving them a try but on the other side of the coin if I did get them I would feel like a lazy ass for avoiding the chance of repairing in the field so to speak.
There is no such thing as a puncture proof tire only puncture resistant.

Froze said:
There is no such thing as a puncture proof tire only puncture resistant.
That's probably what I meant haha. I get a bit muddled with words sometimes :D

The tyres look pretty good though, but I'm a little bit reluctant on learning the price of them...

I carry two tubes, and 4 CO2 canisters---enough to bail me out if I screw one up. Because there's nothing that makes you feel like a bigger moron than trying to inflate a closed Presta valve and seeing all that CO2 dissipate into thin air.

CO2 into thin air ehh? maybe not, maybe it's causing global warming, or maybe it's causing global cooling, nobody know yet but whatever it is doing you and all your CO2 minions are helping to cause a worsening of it for hotter or cooler, for better or worse.

In case of global cooling, a real boost for the Frozen series with many many sequels.

In case of global warming, trips to warmer climates becomes a thing of the past as it's hot enough to have a holiday at home.

Recently, I got a flat and was practically stranded for two hours.Therefore, I think it is always good to be prepared, so now I always try to keep two pumps with me. Accidents happen unexpectedly and it is always good to have a backup plan. Also, you should always have your cell-phone fully charged with you at all times when you are biking. Basic precautionary measures can save you time, energy, and even your life.

Froze said:
CO2 into thin air ehh? maybe not, maybe it's causing global warming, or maybe it's causing global cooling, nobody know yet but whatever it is doing you and all your CO2 minions are helping to cause a worsening of it for hotter or cooler, for better or worse.
I should probably stop exhaling, then, too. :)

mpre53 said:
I should probably stop exhaling, then, too. :)
either that or exhale into a catalytic converter. I think it should be required by law, so that to limit CO2 going into the air, that we have to wear a miniature catalytic converter that looks like a gas mask at all time.