Do you think lance is doping? yes or no

MGM

Jul 23, 2004
No flame wars please, just want to get an idea of people view on this. Thanks, Michael

If this was lance's 1st or 2nd year to bag the yellow you might throw this question around, but after so many consistant performances since his comeback, nothing seems to show him using something.

Most dopers seem to go hot & cold & suffer with adverce effects in the medium to long term, which can manifest itself with great performances followed by strange retirements & odd injuries etc.

MGM said:
No flame wars please, just want to get an idea of people view on this. Thanks, Michael

If doping is French for kicking the **** out of eveyrone else. Then yes but otherwise no I think he is just a cut above the field.

jhuskey said:
If doping is French for kicking the **** out of eveyrone else. Then yes but otherwise no I think he is just a cut above the field.
No chance is he using anything to enhace his performance. IMO.

He is the best around and no-one cana get near him.

Look at the general classification of this years tour.
Basso is umpteen minutes better than Sastre. Does this mean Basso is using more drugs than Sastre but not as much as Lance?
Did Karpetts use just a little more than Voeckler?

Absolute rubbish.

Lance is better than any of the competition that has tried to beat him - fair and square. His rivals know it and so should everyone else.

Well done Lance.

Without any proof that he is doping, all we can say is that he is a phenomenon. All other opinions are just suspiscions.

Maybe everybody is doping in TDF but surely US Postal has got he best bottle. This way of riding makes other riders stop their career. Two belgian cyclists (Van Hooydonck and Morreels) who were very promissing had to end their carreer because the peloton drove 5 km/h too fast for them. Edwig Van Hooydonck told it were the Italians who began (Furlan). I am 100 % convinced that Lance does it. Especially by the way he reacts on acusations. It' s a shame.

MGM said:
Has he ever been tested for doping? For one thing, if you mean is he "juicing it" (as in using steroids), I would have to say hell f***ing no way! After barely surviving cancer, there is no way he would put his health and life at risk like that. If you ask me, it is sheer skill and determination to survive and win that are responsible.

no way can he be doping. Induirin Merx etc have been as good as him, did they dope, who knows but he wouldn't be
we all know he is so good because of the team mates he has around him, they basically throw their own careers away just to protect him as a rider.

And anyway the best expanation for him not doping is that he has just the best set of cirulatory, respiratory, and all other body systems than anyone else.

As a youngster he won triatholons against kids years older than him and was he doping as a 12 year old??? i dont think he would have dared take the risk at that age and if he knows he could do it without drugs so many yrs ago why the hell would he take them now !1
Also how many tests does he have a week, i bet he hasnt used a toilet to go for a **** for a long time cos he'l b pissin in bottles for drugs testing!!! And every result has been clean !!!

jrewil said:
no way can he be doping. Induirin Merx etc have been as good as him, did they dope, who knows but he wouldn't be
we all know he is so good because of the team mates he has around him, they basically throw their own careers away just to protect him as a rider.

And anyway the best expanation for him not doping is that he has just the best set of cirulatory, respiratory, and all other body systems than anyone else.

As a youngster he won triatholons against kids years older than him and was he doping as a 12 year old??? i dont think he would have dared take the risk at that age and if he knows he could do it without drugs so many yrs ago why the hell would he take them now !1
Also how many tests does he have a week, i bet he hasnt used a toilet to go for a **** for a long time cos he'l b pissin in bottles for drugs testing!!! And every result has been clean !!!
the french word for getting owned by americans is "doping"
its just been added to webster's dictionary

jrewil said:

Come to think of it, Merckx probably would have won his sixth Tour a number of years ago (as Lance himself admitted), if it were not for that drunken French fan hitting him or whatever. I doubt that anyone accused Merckx of doping at that time.

Walrus said:
Without any proof that he is doping, all we can say is that he is a phenomenon. All other opinions are just suspiscions.
Bingo. Unfortunately, people seem to be tried in the media surrounding such stories. Look at Marion Jones and other athletes trying to qualify for the Olympics. Until there is evidence in the form of a couple of failed blood tests, I give the benefit of the doubt. I honestly think Lance is just that much tougher mentally, and when you combine that with a phyically huge heart and tremendous VO2 max, the result is a six time tour champion.

winnezele said:
Maybe everybody is doping in TDF but surely US Postal has got he best bottle. This way of riding makes other riders stop their career. Two belgian cyclists (Van Hooydonck and Morreels) who were very promissing had to end their carreer because the peloton drove 5 km/h too fast for them. Edwig Van Hooydonck told it were the Italians who began (Furlan). I am 100 % convinced that Lance does it. Especially by the way he reacts on acusations. It' s a shame.
Let me just say that I have to laugh when I hear people say that because Armstrong reacts strongly toward allegations of doping, that it must be true. Just exactly how do you expect someone to react when they have dedicated their life to becoming the best, only to have people who have no knowledge of them whatsoever, sit casually in their lounge chairs, point fingers and suggest that they know something they obviously have no real knowledge of? Perhaps I'm a bit primative emotionally, but I have to tell you, I'd be more than a little ticked-off. I might even tell you to shut the hole under your nose until you have some solid evidence.

:)

Cowboyathlete said:
Has he ever been tested for doping? For one thing, if you mean is he "juicing it" (as in using steroids), I would have to say hell f***ing no way! After barely surviving cancer, there is no way he would put his health and life at risk like that. If you ask me, it is sheer skill and determination to survive and win that are responsible.
I believe that he has been tested. He failed a test and his doctor later submitted a report that showed the drug was administered as a topical ointment.

I really want him to be drug free and I hope he is. He has been one of the most inspirational athletes to me. But I can't simply ignore the accusers because I like Lance. Some of them are quite credible. Especially the team doctor that resigned who said that the whole team (Postal) is using. Also, I think there were several former Postal riders who admit that he's using. Maybe someone else here can give more detailed info on who the riders are.

grampy bone said:
I believe that he has been tested. He failed a test and his doctor later submitted a report that showed the drug was administered as a topical ointment.

I really want him to be drug free and I hope he is. He has been one of the most inspirational athletes to me. But I can't simply ignore the accusers because I like Lance. Some of them are quite credible. Especially the team doctor that resigned who said that the whole team (Postal) is using. Also, I think there were several former Postal riders who admit that he's using. Maybe someone else here can give more detailed info on who the riders are.
exactly, I am in the same boat as you. As a fan of cycling, I find it extremely hard to believe that lance is doping. But when credible people (people who are in the know of cycling) start talking about lance doping (i.e. team doctor, lemond, etc), then things get questionable.

I have no opinion on whether he or the entire pro tour take drugs but read in that the UCI doesn't even have an approved test for Humam Growth Hormones (HGH) yet. My point being that as long as athletes don't use drugs the drugs the testers are looking for they can escape the wrath, no?

Perhaps that over simplifies it a little though as surely a blood test would show certain blood components to be abnormal and therefore suspicious - ALTHOUGH NOT CONCLUSIVE.

Well, I don't believe that he's done them. He said himself it's a shame that whoever wears the yellow jersey always gets bashed about drug use. But if he has done them, then, well... there goes a lot of peoples inspiration down the drain... I obviously don't personally know the guy but he seems like an honest good guy.

Cowboyathlete said:
Come to think of it, Merckx probably would have won his sixth Tour a number of years ago (as Lance himself admitted), if it were not for that drunken French fan hitting him or whatever. I doubt that anyone accused Merckx of doping at that time.

Maybe more than that. He crashed not long after that, and that injury stayed with him long after the Tour.

grampy bone said:

He didn't fail that test. The dosage was too small to be of performance benefit. The chamois cream was allowed.