Do you use a heart rate monitor while riding?

szbert said:
HRMs are pretty popular. Do you use one?
Absolutely. What is almost as fun as a good ride. Analyzing your performance data on your computer when you get home. That is my primary reason at this point. Maybe at some point in the future it will be to improve my performance. But I am not that advanced yet.

I do all the time. For some reason seeing the numbers as I'm dying gives me an ok to slow down & shift down a gear. Otherwise I just push myself too far verytime.

I use one all the time althought I dont really look at it much during a race. I moniter it a real lot during training rides. Its good to see my fitness level improve over the season. I also use it while on the rollers in the winter.

Hey wyllisx2, small world I used to live in Manchester CT

Always. I call it "my personal trainer". The best use is on long rides - I use it to keep a steady power as much as possible, unlike most riders who try and keep a steady pace, which I believe is more exhausting.

Wally said:
I use one all the time althought I dont really look at it much during a race. I moniter it a real lot during training rides. Its good to see my fitness level improve over the season. I also use it while on the rollers in the winter.

Hey wyllisx2, small world I used to live in Manchester CT

Wally,

I can make it smaller, at least by my Mapquest maps that is. My step-mom grew up in Appleton.

I use it on the indoor trainer all the time and outside when I remember. I was actually looking at a better model than the one I currently have. Does anyone have any expierence with the hac 4?

After using my HRM for several rides, I now feel like I can gauge my level of exertion pretty well. For serious training rides I still use it. But a lot of my rides arent' that serious and more for fun, so the little bugger pumps away un-monitored.

I like to wear an HRM while in the longer organized rides to avoid bonking. If I am around 165 I'm ok, any higher, just let those faster folks past...otherwise I don't wear one, it takes some of the fun out of what could be one of those natural endorphin high rides...

I used to monitor my performance by HR alone. This led to some protracted muscle soreness as I would pound away in a too steep gear, trying to get my HR up.

Now that I have gone to HR + power (Polar Power), I find I am more focused on power output and maintaining this at constant levels than HR. I recover quicker and also find out my gearing isn't sufficient for some of the steeper hills (or I need more muscle mass, cannot stand to lose any weight).

I am going about 280 Watts average for 100 mile events.

Among the many things on my Christmas wish list is a PowerTap. I've found that as I've gotten more fit, my legs give out before I've exhausted cardio fitness. Still, when you're an old man like me, it's good to know I haven't ACTUALLY died climbing that hill.:)

Weisse Luft said:
I used to monitor my performance by HR alone. This led to some protracted muscle soreness as I would pound away in a too steep gear, trying to get my HR up.

Now that I have gone to HR + power (Polar Power), I find I am more focused on power output and maintaining this at constant levels than HR. I recover quicker and also find out my gearing isn't sufficient for some of the steeper hills (or I need more muscle mass, cannot stand to lose any weight).

I am going about 280 Watts average for 100 mile events.

I use a Polar 720 most of the time when I ride. It's not only a HRM, but it is also a cycling computer. I've only had it a few months and I'm still figuring it out. The thing is pretty amazing.

szbert said:
HRMs are pretty popular. Do you use one?
I finally figured out that going out and riding as hard as I could every time isn't the best way to train. It helps me keep my heart rate down on easy days and I have found that percieved effort isn't the best indication of heart rate. Edwin Moses the great 400 intermediate hurdler in the 80's was the first person I heard of using the heart rate zone training and it worked well for him. He won about 80 races in a row.

I try to wear one every ride. I have a polar m63 I think. Keeps me motivated when I ride by my self. My adverage speed has increased since I started targeting my HR instead of all out all the time. I also bonk less.

I just got a Polar hrm at Sears it is accurate below 100bpm but it says 140bpm when I am 160bpm should I take it back for excahnge?

Marco Pantani, after a mountain stage win in "Le Tour" said about heart rate monitors, if I looked at it during the climb I probable woudn't win, I could frighten myself too much?

I'm not sure which climb but Phil Lygget said, "he's (Marco Pantani) climbing at 33 kph, that's incredible, just look at him go, how does he do it?

Keep the wheels in motion, and don't look back, unlesss it's to see who you dropped on that last climb? TBC