Do you use Aerobars?

Gilders said:
Bought Profile Airstryke (sp) clip-on aerobar earlier in year. Fitted it onto normal roadbike and then spent the whole of the following ride twitching all over the road. Took it off after just that one ride and it's now enjoying its new home under my bed...

Lol...i like it.

They probably make maybe 15-45 seconds difference, however, your time trial performance with or without aerobars isn't always a solid indicator of your ability on the bike compared to others. Take for instance that a professional participated in a local TT here in Arizona, Phil Zajicek, without disc wheels or any other but with a TT bike, his average speed was 28.14 over 16 miles, 1 full minute and 40 seconds from the 2nd overall, a 45+ guy. The point I'm making here is that it's not a matter of aerodynamic equipment that determines your ability relevant to others, It's your raw aerobic power.

As for training with aerobars, I usually avoid using them for the most part unless I need to get used to them for an upcoming TT or to modify my TT position for maximum advantage.

Thomas Davis

wardie2000 said:
They are illegal in road races. The small extensions which you could put on the bar were legal for a short time in RR's but too many crashes were caused as a result, so those are also now banned.

But for TT's they make a huge difference.

The consensus on aero bars seems to be a 1.5-2 km faster advantage in the aero position. A big HOWEVER is that to keep the most power output you have to keep the 90 degree angle from ankle-hip-torso and 90 degree forearm-torso or your strength is diminished. In other words you move your saddle forward so a plumb line is about 5 am ahead of the bottom bracket. These angles are the same as if you are in the brake hoods. Since your upper torso rests on the aero bars you feel more rested in the aero position than the hoods. As I race Ironman triathlons and have to run 26 miles after a 112 mile ride this comfort aspect plus the speed advantage really makes them worthwile. When riding in town I never use them as my hands are too far away from the brakes. Yes, they are wobbly as your body is over the front wheel more. If I am riding with someone I stay off the bars so I have more control. I do lots of cold/wet weather training on the gravel logging roads so I have aero bars mounted on my X-country race bike- a Blur and the ride is now smoooooth!!!

Dave

i use aero bars on my training bike so i can practice both road racing and time trialing without switching bikes

I use aerobars. I like them for comfort rather then speed. On longer rides it gives me another positions.

Not sure what the point of using Aerobars would be unless you were doing a Time trial or triathlon (the onlt places where they are legal).
Riding on them on an open road is dangerous (and cumbersome). You need your hands to be where they can help direct and stabilise the bike.
Besides if you reduce drag then you're not putting as much effort into your training.
I do not agree that a bike would become front heavy with aerobars on. the only change is to stretch the back to flatten it (which it should be anyway) and stretch the forearms out in front. I agree that the CG may move forward very slightly but how much does a cylcists arms weigh compared to their body and legs.
Aerobars make a bike more twitchy becasue the arms are closer to the stem hence magnifying any movement of the hands. Having a steeper seat tube will not change this aspect.

I am now completely against using aero bars after my crash on Sunday during a sprint triathlon. Any unexpected bump or quick hill can make you unbalanced and in my case, I turned to look behind me before passing another biker and due to using aero bars on my road bike, my bike swerved (it was very unbalanced) and I could not control it at all and crashed and really injured myself. I know that they say practice helps and perhaps it does, but I still say it is not safe. I would much rather finish the race the best I can without aero bars than finish in the emergency room! 6 weeks earlier I saw a woman in a pack of 3 bikers who was just behind one of the bikers and he swerved to miss a little girl who stepped into the street. The woman could not stop because of her aero bars and she crashed just as I did and had a concussion as well. There is no way they are safe. If you dare to use them then I would suggest elbow and wrist guards and whatever else you can protect yourself because eventually you may crash as well. Is it worth the extra speed? Only if you are on a nice course that is wide open and very long distance and have little chance of being suprised - and you are willing to take the chance.

I only bother using them when I'm competing in a time trial. They're bloody dangerous in a bunch.

Yes, I trained with them regularly for this past month and a half, but have extensive experience riding bicycles. Probably have done 3500 km in training riding with aerobars.