Do you use an exercise bike at the gym?

Veater

May 28, 2016
When I go the gym, I try and use equipment that doesn't just emulate things I already do. So I don't use the treadmill as I do plenty of walking daily, and I don't use an exercise bike for the same reason. Generally I just use the cross trainer to warm up and then do a strength work out with the free weights or weight machines.

What about you? Do you still use the exercise bike at the gym, even though you cycle?

Before I got into biking, there was this fancy stationary bike being sold with a great discount. I was attracted by the speed gauge which would indicate how fast I am biking if I were using a real bike on the road. That was the first time I've seen that kind of bike. And since I had a credit card then, I think I could afford - even if it was on a 50% discount, the cost is still expensive for us (we were bellow middle class). When I asked my husband about it, he said why waste my effort with that kind of bike, why not buy a real bike and go places. That's what I did.

Yes, I ride the exercise bike at the gym. It's really fun riding that exercise bike. In fact, I love riding the gym bike instead of the real one because you are allowed to move your legs at any speed you want and it burns more calories than the real bike. I ride it daily for about 20 mins in gym and I burn a lot of calories and it helps me to maintain my weight. That's why I love the exercise gym.

When I regularly went to a local gym. I did use the treadmill for at least 15 minutes before starting my day's workout. My workout was mostly with free weights or weight machines. After quitting the gym, since then I've been riding in an almost daily basis.

When I go to the gym, I actually avoid the bikes. I think because I can go biking at home, I feel that I need to get other types of cardio work in or muscle toning. I tend to spend time on the free weights and also in the abdominal machines so get a tighter core. I do enjoy the elliptical machine very much, as I feel it hits all of the right spots.

I don't. I feel like its a waste of time. The only thing that relates something to do with bikes at my gym sessions is that I usually ride to and from there.

Yes, as others mentioned before me when using the gym I try to use machines and do exercises that I can not do otherwise. So treadmills and bikes are not for me, I can run and bike outside in the nature, too. But of course it just my preference.

I use stationary cycles at the gym. As a warm-up and a cardio exercise cycling is the most efficient and burns the most calories. It also helps to train for rides outside. If your gym has good cycling equipment and you know how to use it you can get a lot out of it.

Yes, I ride the exercise bike at the gym. It's really fun riding that exercise bike. In fact, I love riding the gym bike instead of the real one because you are allowed to move your legs at any speed you want and it burns more calories than the real bike. I ride it daily for about 20 mins in gym and I burn a lot of calories and it helps me to maintain my weight. That's why I love the exercise gym.
Yeah, it helps to shed off the fat by burning calories. In the gym, it's one of the most effective equipments to lose weight and to keep you knees fit and healthy.

I'm afraid, it's not about emulating things that you do already. It's all about cross-training, building both strength and stamina. Riding a static bike increases your heart pumping rate and gets you nicely warmed up. It helps you with weight loss if you need to lose weight or enhances your endurance even otherwise.

Combining cardio and strength training is most beneficial.

Nope, no gym membership. I'll hit up the park if I want a good workout (sometimes a nap too lol), but I haven't been to a brick-and-mortar gym in years. In great shape, could probably use more mass but I'm pleased with where I'm at right now ;)

I think that riding a real bike is better than the exercise bike at the gym if your main goal is to lose weight. I use the exercise bike at the gym but I don't think it is as effective as the real bike. I go to the gym for general fitness and weight loss is not my concern so I use the exercise bike at the gym to keep myself fit.

I think that riding a real bike is better than the exercise bike at the gym if your main goal is to lose weight. I use the exercise bike at the gym but I don't think it is as effective as the real bike. I go to the gym for general fitness and weight loss is not my concern so I use the exercise bike at the gym to keep myself fit.

Interesting opinion, but I don't think you can support it with fact. How you use the equipment and what options are available can have an enormous impact on it's efficacy. I think if you do some actual research and learn more about the options you will find that it can be equal or even greater in helping with weight loss.

Interesting opinion, but I don't think you can support it with fact. How you use the equipment and what options are available can have an enormous impact on it's efficacy. I think if you do some actual research and learn more about the options you will find that it can be equal or even greater in helping with weight loss.
I think you need to do the research to know the science behind it. Do you know why riding a real bike burn more calories than a gym bike? It's because of the movement. When you ride a bike on the road, you need to push the cycle with more force according to the type of road (upward and download) whereas with the gym cycle, you just sit at one place just moving your legs repeatedly. So, it burns more calories. Please know more about a particular fact before giving a suggestion.

I usually use an air dyne (devil bike) as a warm up. Occasionally they are programmed into my workout after a big complex movement lifting day.

Even though I cycle most evenings of the week, I still use the exercise bikes at the gym as part of a fitness routine but that's just habit more than anything and I'm only on there for ten minutes at the most. Cycling is one of the best exercises you can do, and for me, going to the gym but not using the exercise bike doesn't seem right and I don't feel like I've done a full workout if I skip it.

Reactions: Jcycle
I have used indoor cycling in physical therapy and recovery from injury. I also have used it as the main cardiac component of my workout. Anybody that arbitrarily claims and outdoor bike is better for you doesn't really know what they are talking about. Just assuming automatically that one is better than the other without any supporting evidence is not the same as knowing what is best for somebody in a given situation.

Reactions: pwarbi
I use to use the stationary bikes at the gym, but I got tired of it after some time. It was a combination of me not liking to do cardio at the gym and me preferring real bike riding. Stationary bikes are just sort of boring in my opinion. If I am going to get some cardio at the gym it will be through something more active like basketball.

When it comes to cardio exercise though, the stationary bikes are about the best form of exercise that you can do. I agree that depending how long you spend on there then they can be boring, but at the same time, you don't go to the gym to have fun, well, I don't anyway so if cardio exercise is what you want to concentrate on, boring or not, exercise bikes will have to be used at some point in your workout.

Reactions: steve