Do You Use Clipless Pedals?

GatorTrek

Oct 26, 2004
I just started riding about 2 months ago. For Christmas, I got a set of Shimano clipless pedals and shoes. Today I got to take them out for the first time. I could not believe the difference! The guys in the bike shop told me they would make a big difference. They weren't kidding.

If you don't have clipless pedals, buy them tomorrow! You will not regret it.

er.....

well....good. I'm glad you like 'em. :D

I nominate this poll to be the biggest landslide poll of the year.

lucien2 said:
er.....

well....good. I'm glad you like 'em. :D

I nominate this poll to be the biggest landslide poll of the year.
It may well be. I am just saying that as a newbie, I was told it would make a difference, I had no idea it would be such a great difference. Sounds like that is something everyone else already knew. Forgive my ignorance. I will try not to bother you experts anymore. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, gator. That came off wrong. I'm no expert, just an enthusiast. I didn't mean to insult you. I'm thrilled that you've experienced the epiphany of clipless; it's a shame so many people are scared of them. The only good reason NOT to go clipless is for freeriding and maybe courier/commuters who are constantly stopping.

lucien2 said:
I'm sorry, gator. That came off wrong. I'm no expert, just an enthusiast. I didn't mean to insult you. I'm thrilled that you've experienced the epiphany of clipless; it's a shame so many people are scared of them. The only good reason NOT to go clipless is for freeriding and maybe courier/commuters who are constantly stopping.
Thanks, Lucien. I think that, outside of padded shorts, clipless pedals are the best thing you can buy after market. I guess third would be a flat pack!

GatorTrek said:
Thanks, Lucien. I think that, outside of padded shorts, clipless pedals are the best thing you can buy after market. I guess third would be a flat pack!
Clipless pedals are definately one of the best investments you can make. I learned to ride with them on my mountain bike and I still have scars to prove it. Congratulations on making a great decision by making the switch.

Oh, one other thing. Please post when you go thru your initiation by falling over at a stoplight or stop sign. When it happens don't be too embarassed, it happens to everyone eventually. ;)

I find that "clipless pedals" with compatible "cycling sandals" are the best way to have dry feet, while on long bicycle tours. By "long bicycle tours", I mean if you measure your ride in weeks rather than in hours.

I went straight from platform pedals to clipless, never did the toe strap thing. It was fantastic. I didn't realize until I rode my bike without my special shoes (I have pedals with the clip on just one side) just how much I had to concentrate on keeping my feet in place.

And the best part is, I've never fallen. :)

For me, six years ago, clipless pedals where the first step from weekend MTB warrior to MTB racer up to the road racer that I'm today,

Hope this will works as well to you.

I always used toe straps in my DF days. Eventually I got brave and went to clips/straps - the real clips that is. I finally converted to clipless, shortly before getting my first bent. They are definitely nicer than all of the previous choices, but unfortunately the poll assumes that anybody who's tried them will never go back. It doesn't include a choice for me: "Love them for MOST riding, but sometimes they are just not practical." For instance, in very cold weather, I wear insulated boots, and only flat pedals with work for them. Also, for relatively short commutes, it's just not worth the effort to wear special shoes in to work, so again it's flat pedals that work best.

I just picked up a pair of Shimano PD-540's for my Trek 1500.

They should be better than the MTB SPD's I had on my old Road bike.

Clipless pedals were one of my Xmas gifts. I used them on the trail for the first time yesterday. I'm still getting used to them, but I think I'm going to like them very much.

Clipless since the first Look pedals came out (remember the honking ugly white ones that Lemond and Hinault used?). :cool:

Never looked back since. And never fell at a red light. Came close, but never did. :D

Would never even consider going back.

Cyclist14 said:
I just picked up a pair of Shimano PD-540's for my Trek 1500.

They should be better than the MTB SPD's I had on my old Road bike.
I am considering buying a 1500 now. How do you like yours?

Powerful Pete said:
Clipless since the first Look pedals came out (remember the honking ugly white ones that Lemond and Hinault used?). :cool:

Never looked back since. And never fell at a red light. Came close, but never did. :D

Would never even consider going back.

Clipless pedals best invention since, well, beer!! Fell over once on a real steep climb first time I used clipless never fallen since. Wife was riding behind me on her mountain bike lower gear laughed at me for several days.

I've been using mine for almost 6 months and I'll never use anything else on the road. I'm a bit leery of using them on a MTB (even though it'd be nice) but I love my Ultegra SL pedals and would not go without them. Had two close calls with them but never fell (one where I forgot to unclip and one where I unclipped one foot and the bike started going the other direction).

It's funny you should mention it, I started road biking a while back, got used to the Bike, then went clipless....what a difference...however, after a few rides I took it for granted...

Then, I started to road-test a few Bikes recently with Flat road-test pedals supplied by the bike shop and I really really missed my clipless pedals..in fact, I had problems positioning my feet on the pedals over the center line of the spindle and my feet kept slipping off as I got out of the saddle...

So even though I take them so much for granted I know I could never go back..they make a HUGE difference...

Incidentaly, although I've come close a couple of times, I've never fallen at the lights etc....I shouldn't have said that!!

GatorTrek said:
I just started riding about 2 months ago. For Christmas, I got a set of Shimano clipless pedals and shoes. Today I got to take them out for the first time. I could not believe the difference! The guys in the bike shop told me they would make a big difference. They weren't kidding.

If you don't have clipless pedals, buy them tomorrow! You will not regret it.

I was thinking of going clipless. I commute to work but its 8 miles with only a couple of stops - usually, however sometimes I have to stop suddenly.

I had read somewhere that ( I think it was an ad for a cycle-fitting company) that clipless pedals can put more strain on knees if your bike is adjusted even slightly wrong for you. This has been putting me off getting them.

Anyone have any views on this?

Yes, that's true Joe, but different brands have varying degrees of float, plus one needs to adjust the Cleats correctly...so with the combination of the two you should have no problems...you'll know immediately whether the Cleats are correctly adjusted, it's almost a case of trial and error to fine tune the adjustment...

My Pedals/Cleats (Crank Brothers Quattro's) have a choice of 15 or 20 degrees of float...

PutneyJoe said:
I was thinking of going clipless. I commute to work but its 8 miles with only a couple of stops - usually, however sometimes I have to stop suddenly.

I had read somewhere that ( I think it was an ad for a cycle-fitting company) that clipless pedals can put more strain on knees if your bike is adjusted even slightly wrong for you. This has been putting me off getting them.

Get the right pedals and you will not have a problem. I have speedplay frogs they have a lot of flote. As far as taking your foot off the pedle you will fall once maby twice and probley never again. Go into a feild and get it out of your system.

PutneyJoe said: