Do you want a cycle lane?

"Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > The 'how to get yourself a cycle lane' according to ican..
> > http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/ican/A3158327

> Is there an equivalent article on how to get a cycle lane removed?

Well, it does tell you how to stop getting a lane installed.

It's my conclusion, from thirty years experience, that the only way
to get a bad facility removed is by having two deaths on that
facility, and I'm not going to volunteer.

Only local deaths count. If you cite deaths in other places, you
will be told that the situation is just not the same.

London's Blackfriars Bridge has now reached the two deaths mark, and
the **** has rather hit the fan. Watch for bulletins

Jeremy Parker

"David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BD9EF468.2429F%[email protected]...
> The 'how to get yourself a cycle lane' according to ican..
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/ican/A3158327
>
> ..d

It's interesting wording in the first paragraph of the first section.

It doesn't say that lanes ARE a safety measure, it says that lanes
are SEEN as a safety measure.

Even then it goes on to say this is apparently only (?) when

- they WILL benefit cyclists

- AND minimise the threat of accidents

From which one may gather that bike lanes do not benefit cyclists all
the time, and do not minimise the threat of accidents all the time.

Jeremy Parker

Talking to a road enegineer here this morning it would seem the whole
lot that have been installed here, cycle lanes, pelican crossings with
PIR pick-ups (walk past and the lights go red, just incase you want to
cross) and a horribly complex set of road markings that no-one
understands/follows shouldn't have been allowed. BUT THE COUNCIL WON'T
BACK THE "LEAVE IT AMBIGUOUS, MAKE THEM THINK" that his company put
forward system thats proving its worth elseware....The one set of
crossing lights not on PIRs is a main set of traffic lights with
advanced stop boxes etc, the ped's however glance at the traffic and
dash, never wait for the "greenman", the number of cyclists avoiding
them at times is shocking, mind the pavement riding students don't stop
for anything less than a bus!