Do you want to see Bettini win the olympics...again?

Ullefan

Jul 14, 2004
Isn't he a bit overconfident in himself, even by his standards?

World Champion Paolo Bettini returned to his winning ways this week, scoring a stage victory in the Tour de Wallonie on Sunday, which he preceded with a victory in the Trofeo Matteotti. The defending Olympic champion proved that his form has returned after a winless season.
Bettini is at the end of his contract with the Belgian Quick Step squad, and team manager Patrick Lefevere was expecting the Italian to retire at the end of the season. But Bettini, who will head to Beijing to seek his second Olympic gold medal, may continue to race after all. Speaking after his win in Wallonie, Bettini said that he will give Lefevere the first right of refusal to renew his contract. "I have multiple offers, but I will talk with Patrick Lefevere first. We have been working together since 1999, and it would not be fair not to let him have the first try."

"I have had it in my wildest dreams to stop after winning two consecutive Olympic titles and three consecutive world titles on my palmarès. But one thing is for certain," said the Italian, "even if I do not race anymore I will remain in cycling."

Bettini will travel to China along with the Italian men's road team of Davide Rebellin, Damiano Cunego, Franco Pellizotti and Marzio Bruseghin for the road race on August 9.

Ullefan said:
Isn't he a bit overconfident in himself, even by his standards?

World Champion Paolo Bettini returned to his winning ways this week, scoring a stage victory in the Tour de Wallonie on Sunday, which he preceded with a victory in the Trofeo Matteotti. The defending Olympic champion proved that his form has returned after a winless season.
Bettini is at the end of his contract with the Belgian Quick Step squad, and team manager Patrick Lefevere was expecting the Italian to retire at the end of the season. But Bettini, who will head to Beijing to seek his second Olympic gold medal, may continue to race after all. Speaking after his win in Wallonie, Bettini said that he will give Lefevere the first right of refusal to renew his contract. "I have multiple offers, but I will talk with Patrick Lefevere first. We have been working together since 1999, and it would not be fair not to let him have the first try."

"I have had it in my wildest dreams to stop after winning two consecutive Olympic titles and three consecutive world titles on my palmarès. But one thing is for certain," said the Italian, "even if I do not race anymore I will remain in cycling."

Bettini will travel to China along with the Italian men's road team of Davide Rebellin, Damiano Cunego, Franco Pellizotti and Marzio Bruseghin for the road race on August 9.
He's a good chance, but no I dont think so. There are so many good riders out there, to win two in a row would be extremely hard.

I'd like someone else to win, just so that there will be one less colour on his helmet and it will be less of an eyesore ;).

confusedfan said:
I'd like someone else to win, just so that there will be one less colour on his helmet and it will be less of an eyesore ;).
What gets me is his use of the word ''after'' not if he wins. Again, is this overconfidence? I hope some other deserving rider wins, but its hard to look past Bettini i'm sure he's well prepared for this. I just think its time he stops being so damn greedy. Yes paolo, we know you're a champion, you don't need to spray-paint your shoes gold, why not work for cunego this time? No, paolo wants to win...

adamastor said:
If he wins, he will have deserved it.
thats one arguement. I've got so used to watching him win, I was pleased to see him win in Athens, but now its time for someone else.

Does not seem to me that he is being over-confident. In every interview I have heard with him in Italian he always says he is racing to win (don't they all?) but also that it will be very hard to go for a double.

Also, after his poor showing in San Sebastian today Cunego spoke to the Italian coach (Ballerini) and is not going to Beijing. Will be replaced by Nibali, who will do double-duty with the time trial.

Powerful Pete said:
Does not seem to me that he is being over-confident. In every interview I have heard with him in Italian he always says he is racing to win (don't they all?) but also that it will be very hard to go for a double.

Also, after his poor showing in San Sebastian today Cunego spoke to the Italian coach (Ballerini) and is not going to Beijing. Will be replaced by Nibali, who will do double-duty with the time trial.
Do you love watching him win?

How is he viewed by the Italian media, love or hate?

What about his other team-mates, are they willing to work for him? Because that's always been the bane of the italian team, too many self-aspirations.

Read my signature. I am a Bettini fan. Ergo, as a Bettini fan and an Italian, I love to watch him win. :D

He is very well liked here in Italy by fans and the media. He is a Tuscan rider, is funny and actually quite media-savvy (always interviewed for every Giro stage, for example). And a two time world champion. Nothing like success to make you popular.

He is a winner and team captain. Others are chosen to ride for him. That is why they are paid and their lot in the cycling profession. I am not aware of any particular jealousies vs. Bettini, and from what little I have heard he is fair in sharing his winnings and the rest with the teammates, mechanics et al who help him get the win.

Too many leaders is always a problem for the Italian team before the race. I would argue that on recent results Ballerini has been able to reign in the boys and ensure that they race for the rider who is in the best shape. Of course, this does not mean that mistakes are not made and that we win every year, but recent performance has not been too shabby.

So let them argue all they want before the race...

Bettini does seem to be confident, judging by the statements posted by ullefan.

I have no difficulty with seeing Bettini win the ORR again.........for me Bettini,
along with Freire, have been the most consistent cyclists for the past 5 years.

On the one hand Paolo has had a quiet season by his standards....but it is very hard to constantly replicate the superb form that he has had over the past decade or so.

And I like Bettini - he seems to be a champion who has not forgotten to be humble.