Do you want to see what equipment the top cyclists are using?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by austinb, Oct 15, 2014.

1. austinb

austinb New Member

We are a group of students from the University of New Hampshire conducting marketing research on cycling. Below is a link to our short survey. Your participation is voluntary and confidential, and greatly appreciated by our team.

https://unh.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_7aJ2D5X5F8OSm33 Thank you!

Tags:

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Odd choice of questions.
    Sure, I'm a bit curious as to what the Pros use.
    But for a Pro, different rules do apply. To a large extent, they ride what their sponsors want them to ride.
    If they think it's beneficial or not is a secondary matter. Races which are extremely hard on the equipment - like the cobblestone race Paris-Roubaix - do tend to give rise to a fair amount of disguised and rebranded equipment, when a team/rider simply won't ride the supplied kit because it's seen as not fit for the task.
    Likewise, for a Pro, anything that can offer a competitive edge, and is durable enough to last the stage/race, then it's a "good" thing. If it has to be scrapped 50 meters past the finish, that's fine.
    Me, who pay my own way, and service my own kit, I'm a lot more interested in durability and maintenance intervals than what can shave a fraction of a second of my sprint.

Sometimes Pro kit do transition well into everyday use. I'd be happy to see electronic shifting make its way into my financial realm. But 11-speed - not really. Adjustment is more fickle and durability is way down. Not the thing you want for something that'll see endless amount of road grime every winter.

3. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Very odd.

I never answer a survey that asks about income. I bought Campagnolo as an impoverished college student and throughout a rewarding career. Cost does not equal value nor does income equal priority.

4. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I thought you bought your Campy stuff from impoverished college students.

5. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

No. I buy mine well below wholesale from lawyers that switched to Zumba.

6. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

I really don't care what top pros are using. I can't afford it, and what I'm riding now serves my purposes very well.

Maybe I'd raise an eyebrow if disc brakes ever catch on.