Do you wash your bottles?

Havent washed mine in 4 months.
But I do rinse it with hot water daily

g8000 said:
Havent washed mine in 4 months.
But I do rinse it with hot water daily

If it wasnt for my kind mum, it wouldnt ever ger washed!! She cleans it on occasions, say once every couple of months.

I give mine the once-over if they are particularily dirty with dust or grime.

However, I do sterilise them with a drop of kitchen bleach and filled with water, leaving them overnight. I think this is especially important if you are filling them with electrolyte drinks - nasty bacteria can grow in them and give you all sorts of stomach upsets!

Having a baby in the house we went through the routine of sterilising her drinking bottles several times a day, you can get tablets for this but the best way to clean anything and to make it sterile, just as they do in hospitals also is to give it a clean in hot water and some washing up liquid to get rid of any mud and residue drink from inside and store it. Just before you ride, fill the bottle fully with boiling water from the kettle and also pour it over the drinking spout and leave this for 5 mins then rinse you bottle with clean cold water and thats it. This will kill any bacteria or germs in the bottle.

Its quick and its easy and its cheap but it works.

1. That was 21 characters.
2. Yep, wash it every time I use it. Never thought about it before, just throw 'em in the dishwasher like everything else. Then they mysteriously end up in a cabinet a while after the cycle finishes, same place every time. :)

Rinse with hot water after every ride- still can't get the beer smell out of the one on my "townie".:)

I have the Zefal Magnum bottles and the plastic is very soft, therefore I have to wash them (I usually rinse them out with bleach). If I don't, the one that I keep my sports drink in starts getting moldy on the inside, and I can't have that.

Someone washed my bottles with washing-up liquid, refilled them and put them in the fridge. I found out 10km into a ride. Swallowed a couple of huge mouthfuls before I got the taste of detergent. Was burping bubbles for the rest iof the ride. Still can't get the taste out of the bottle.

Dominic Sansom said:
Someone washed my bottles with washing-up liquid, refilled them and put them in the fridge. I found out 10km into a ride. Swallowed a couple of huge mouthfuls before I got the taste of detergent. Was burping bubbles for the rest iof the ride. Still can't get the taste out of the bottle.

Have u got the taste out of your mouth? :p

theedge said:
Have u got the taste out of your mouth? :p

you can get the taste of detergent out with lemon juice and the flavor of sports drinks.

just fill the bottle up with warm water and squezze in the juice of two lemons and let sit overnight.

also kills the mould buildup as well

I wash my bottles after every use, plus I run them through the dishwasher once a week. Between the soap and the heat I figure that will kill any remaining germs!

I rinse them after every use and set them on radiator that all water flows off! It`s good to do that because if you don`t they become mouldy!

hwttdz said:
This is 10 characters.
I have a few that I use and I generally will just refill them with sports drink and keep them in the fridge for the next ride, washing dust and grime off them first. I try to soak them in hot water weekly, and occasionally will remove the nozzles and give them a good scrubbing. They get funky over time, especially if you use Gatorade or Powerade.
:cool:

Not at all. The team car give us them whenever we want them. Then we throw them away and the spectators scramble for them. Take them home and wash them. Now that's what I call hygienic recycling. Everyone's happy.

pokerpete said:
Not at all. The team car give us them whenever we want them. Then we throw them away and the spectators scramble for them. Take them home and wash them. Now that's what I call hygienic recycling. Everyone's happy.
So you must be very good and famous if you have training car and spectacors while training hehe!:D

hey we were just talkin about your type in the "how much to pro riders earn" post. so how much do you earn? Just kidding :p, you dont have to answer that.

i use a camel back and i wash it every week.