Do you wave?

Originally Posted by davereo .

If getting a response when waving is important to you one way to insure you always get a response is to. Drift out to the center of the road and look the approaching cyclist right in the eye and lift your hand upward showing the back of your hand and raise your center finger. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif
Why do you hate America?

I was once concerned about someone waving at me. It was the old lady who had run me down and dragged me because she felt it was important for her van to be in the bike lane. As I laid on the ground, she was waving about with her hands, and I was concerned she'd have a stroke and die before she would pay for my new bike and for the surgery that followed the accident.

Another time I was concerned by a cyclist who didn't return my salutation. Of course, he was the cyclist who rear ended my bike as I sat stopped at a light. I turned and said, "How's it going?" thinking he might offer a bit of contrition. Alas, he didn't respond and instead pretended I wasn't there.

Starting tomorrow though, I'm going to make the responses of cyclists to my salutations, be they shouts of glee and greeting or waves, be what defines whether I had a good ride or not. In fact, if they don't respond to my efforts, I'm going to immediately return home and whine on an internet forum about cyclists who don't wave.

I'll always wave and say hello.
In most cases I get a hello and wave from the recipient!

A person is more likely to wave back if they only see one or two other cyclists, and less likely to wave back if they see one or two hundred. It might not have anything to do with how friendly/unfriendly they are. There are limits to all things.

Everybody waves at me. Kids, dogs, bus drivers! I have to head to the country to get away from all the waving. Check out the latest video - recumbent riding off road.
http://youtu.be/3E4vvjks57A