Do you wave?

jpr95

Oct 11, 2010
So I was out for a spin this morning and encountered two other riders on my usual route. I waved at both and NEITHER of them waved back. Hoosiers are even known for waving! (I'm not a native Hoosier, born in Michigan, but I've lived here almost 3/4 of my life, including the last 22 years). Do you wave at other riders?

Jason

In my experience, most oncoming people I see on road bikes wave. Although it isn't really a wave, mostly it's just flick of the fingers.

our local roadies almost never wave, they are too grim about their purpose.

I like to say "hi!" to pedestrians and cruiser-bikers on the paths,
or at least give a nod.

Shucked the bell I used to have on the Lime.
It never helped gain attention.
I say "coming by!" or some such thing to Ipod pedestrians on the bike path.

And if there is a real emergency, I have a stentorian voice, 'Whoa!'

((much prefer to wave or nod, however))

Hi

Sometimes ... really depends on my mood; how hard I am working; what the conditions are and so on. If it is pouring down with rain and blowing a gale I would acknowledge others but if I am battling into the Fremantle Doctor and they are riding with it, forget it :)

Andrew

I usually wave and get a response most of the time. Sometimes I try to strike up a conversation if they are going my direction - anything to break up the monotony of a long ride.

I always at least give it the old head nod. It's like it's been said, either busy, usually with both hands on the handlebars and (pleasantly) surprised that another person waved, but not too much so that at least a nod in reply usually is the response.

Oh by the way, what did Bob Roll do that nobody will ride with him?

I'd ride with Bob...but he'd probably drop me. I think he's a great commentator.

Originally Posted by jpr95 .

Do you wave at other riders?

Jason
If I see another rider coming, I'll generally give some form of acknowledgement - head bob, flick of the fingers, wave, whatever. I'd say I get a head bob/wave back over 99% of the time.

Usually a head bob and a "Good morning" or "Hello" if they are close enough to hear. I will wave to little kids if I am going slow enough to feel comfortable removing a hand from the bar.

Who knew waving was customary in the cycling community,I've yet to see it. I have ridden motorcycles for 20 years and it is forbidden to ride past another motorcycle without waving lest you shall be scorned on Craigslist in the Missed Connection section.

I'll do a little experiment over the next few days and wave to all that pass. Sadly,I don't expect much from my road biking brethren :(

I usually manage a "Hi", or "Hello" for people coming the opposite direction. However when passing people going the same direction I don't usually say anything, It all depends on my mood, how hard I'm riding, but if they acknowledge me first I always respond.

It's not limited to cyclists for me, I do the same for walkers, runners, etc. that I meet when I'm out riding.

OK, you guys have given me a good idea. I will print on the back of my plain yellow safety "T",

Call Reid For
Good A Time

305 999 7522

It's too dangerous; sometime the road is smooth and wide and the speeds are reasonable but as most of us know and the rest will find out, it takes only an instant of inattention to crash. This was demonstrated to me and the group I was with Friday when a very experienced rider took his eyes off the road to chat with another rider, hit an obstacle, and apparently (based on what I know) shattered his collarbone.

The bike was down in the blink of an eye.

Coming off motorcycles I thought the non-waving was just arrogance on the part of bicyclists (there is enough of that, too) but a nod will suffice.

It is better than a crash./img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

LOL! Too dangerous to wave??? Well I guess some people pull over to take a drink too... Roadies all wave in Albuquerque, not a giant swinging arm up in the air, but a shake or two of the hand or a flick of the fingers is good ediquite… And with the team kit on its helps make your sponsers look good too

Originally Posted by Cruzzer08 .

LOL! Too dangerous to wave??? Well I guess some people pull over to take a drink too... Roadies all wave in Albuquerque, not a giant swinging arm up in the air, but a shake or two of the hand or a flick of the fingers is good ediquite… And with the team kit on its helps make your sponsers look good too

Rio Rancho, NM population 7/09- 82,574 rural setting
Houston, TX population 7/09 2,257,926 urban setting
Yes I pull over for a drink, and keep both hands on the bar.