Do you wave?

I try to acknowledge everyone with a wave or a nod. I figure that person may be riding by one day when I'm stuck on the side with two flats and only one CO2 shot. I get a little peeved when I don't get at least a nod back.

I usually just turn my right hand inward and salute with two fingers. Some wave back some dont. I am fine either way.

I got a wave this morning from a Miami roadie, and was so honored!

Later, while making a little photo shoot, I had another fainting spell, my heart is not good.

I parked the bike on Bayshore, and laid in the swale, in my bright lime safety T, pretty obviously a man down.

I only needed to rest and recover.

Hundreds of people passed me by and not a one asked if I was OK.

Welcome to Miami, where people don't mind the odd body in the grass.

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif

Originally Posted by Moto700 .

Rio Rancho, NM population 7/09- 82,574 rural setting
Houston, TX population 7/09 2,257,926 urban setting
Yes I pull over for a drink, and keep both hands on the bar.

Albuquerque, NM population 535,239 in 187 sq mi = 2850 people per square mile
Houston, TX population 2,257,962 in 601 sq mi =3755 people per square mile
So riding conditons are fairly close and Albuquerque is far from rural, but I've been riding and racing for a long time, no pulling over to drink or eat then... But for less skilled riders, I'd say get a camelbak and stick to the head nod :)

Usually a "hi" or "hello" on the MUT in close proximity. On the road I'll occasionally get a wave. I'll wave back if I'm soft pedaling, otherwise it's a nod or a flick of the fingers.

Wave for goodness sake! The bike ride is supposed to be fun. If you can't take a hand off the bars long enough to wave you are going to fast to be enjoying the ride. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Reactions: jpr95
Around here everyone is friendly.

On the road a raised hand and pause in your cadence seems to be standard for approaching bicyclists. If I overtake someone, I sit in back and either draft or take pace for a bit and then I pass with a friendly word or two and a thank you.

The Multi-use path is about the same except where there are kids. Always slow down, make sure to give them a wave or word of their own, and indicate to the parents that the kids are riding ok.

Wave, chin-up, peace, hello, good morning, nice legs, you're hot... you name it. It's always fun to socialize on the bike!

I chase every cyclist, runner, pedestrian down and force them to stop and hug until it gets uncomfortably awkward. Seriously though, I head nod everyone whether I'm riding, running, walking around...

Four fingers of the left hand, without letting go of the bar. Something more animated and friendly if I know them.

I have noticed something interesting. Around here as a general rule (yes, there are exceptions) if you're a commuter the roadies tend to look down their nose at you and give a grudging, at that, head nod. Other commuters and the younger folks on fixers/SS's, and I know I'm dating myself, will either greet you first or give a more open response.

I got a hello from a guy riding a horse today. THAT definitely is something I don't see around here. I see horses around from time to time, but usually just grazing, not being ridden.

I also got a couple waves from old-timers out mowing their lawns on their riders. One that was somewhat close to the road stopped his mower as I passed by, so I yelled, "Thanks!" to him. I see people mowing next to the road, blowing the grass onto the road, with the deflector removed all the time around here, plus I've been hit in the face through my open truck window by debris from a mower before, so it's a major pet peeve of mine.

Originally Posted by jpr95 .

I got a hello from a guy riding a horse today. THAT definitely is something I don't see around here. I see horses around from time to time, but usually just grazing, not being ridden.

I also got a couple waves from old-timers out mowing their lawns on their riders. One that was somewhat close to the road stopped his mower as I passed by, so I yelled, "Thanks!" to him. I see people mowing next to the road, blowing the grass onto the road, with the deflector removed all the time around here, plus I've been hit in the face through my open truck window by debris from a mower before, so it's a major pet peeve of mine.
That's funny about the horse. Riding in neighborhoods around here if someone, especially lawn care crews, see me they will stop what they are doing until I pass.

Originally Posted by Moto700 .

That's funny about the horse. Riding in neighborhoods around here if someone, especially lawn care crews, see me they will stop what they are doing until I pass.

Most of the professional/commercial lawn care type workers here will stop until I pass by them too, and I really appreciate that. I always give them a wave and say thank you. They can't hear me but "thank you" is a pretty easy lip read...

The wave has gone!! Well, it has around here. :)
There are A LOT of cyclists in Melbourne, so I gather it just became ridiculous to wave to someone every 10 seconds on a Sat or Sun morning on the regular routes. It's kinda like when Mick Dundee visited New York, and tried to say "g'day" to everyone. It's gets to a point in some areas that there are so many 'wavees' that it makes it silly. :)

'Back in my day', when triathletes starting riding around here, they were shunned coz they didn't wave, but I suppose they didn't know the 'rules'. Ha!
Then MTBers started crossing over, and they didn't know the rules either. So, the combination of these blow-ins getting on the road, and the numbers of all types of riders increasing so rapidly has, I reckon, put the nail in the coffin of the wave

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

Originally Posted by 64Paramount .

Most of the professional/commercial lawn care type workers here will stop until I pass by them too, and I really appreciate that. I always give them a wave and say thank you. They can't hear me but "thank you" is a pretty easy lip read...

Could also be read as something a little offensive./img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif