Do you wear a helmet?

In case feel like riding without my helmet I just take a look at my old one sitting on a shelf-the one with the deep scrapes on the top and the broken off side piece. Then I put my helmet on and ride.

It's the law where I live. Besides, it beats getting big dents in your head in a crash.

I keep my hair very short..perhaps not to suitable for the girls out there..but then I can still feel the wind in my hair through the vents. Very nice. In winter I wear a cycling cap for the cold.

Anyway, it doesn't mess up my hair, and I still get that wind on the cranium feel. Get a haircut..

Well an ER doc that I used to know called people on a bike or motorcycle without a helmet "organ donors." And, well, I guess the world needs organ donors so go ahead and ride without one if you want to... I like my brains just how they are so I always wear one. I've never hit my helmet in a bike accident but one saved my life on a motorcycle and definitely saved me from concussions while skiing.

Remember, there's two kinds of riders, those who've already crahsed and those who haven't crashed YET...

I think the thing that irritates me most is when young kids (maybe adults as well) have helmets on their heads, but if you look closely, they are not even clipped together. I have seen lots of kids in my neighbourhood doing this, almost appearing to be the "cool" thing to do.

Anyone else notice this in their regions? I think it is so silly, but it is their brain that will be hurt, not mine, all at the price of being "cool".

Sandra :eek:

R1Racer said:
...Makes me wonder how some people can be so stupid and not use it. But again 70 and 20 are a different story.

Intelligence, or stupidity in your words, has nothing to do with it. It is called freedom of choice -- at least here in America that is one of our options, and to be quite frank, it is none of your damn business whether I wear a helmet or not.

I wear a helmet now because of something that scared the hell out of me so much that i can barley think about it without wondering why i was so lucky..

about 5 year ago i was one of those folks that rarely wore a helmet, i owned one but never really felt the need to use it because i had been riding for years and knew how to handle a short trip of about 3 miles on a quiet road.

i decided that day to wear my hemlet for some strange reason and about 1 mile into the 3 mile trip i was cruising along a tarmac road about 17 mph just thinking about life (as i always do while riding) and the next thing i knew i was sprawlled out in the middle of the two lane road with cars coming at me from behind and from the front...they screeched to a halt and the drivers jumped out to see it i was okay...they helped me to the side of the road where i sat by the kerb.

one driver said i just seem to collapse and bang onto the road for no apparent reason. looking at my bike i vaguely recalled hitting the kerb and slamming my head hard on the road. i felt sick and utterly shocked. i cracked a couple of ribs as my right elbow was twisted and driven into my rib cage as i crashed to the ground. my head literally smashed on the tarmac. i was concussed and i didnt know it, i felt violently sick and i couldnt stand because my body was shaking with shock. it took me half an hour before i got foolishly back on my bike with its buckled wheels and finished my journey. my helmet was scraped and dented when it hit the ground, it want until the next day that my ribs began to hurt, man did they hurt, i couldnt walk without heavy pain killers.

all i did was ride my bike freely as i do most days..nothing out of the ordinary, i just must have lost a little concentration and bounced the wheels off the kerb catapulting me into the middle of the two lanes..

thats why i always wear a helmet now, if i didnt wear one on that day i may have been just another statistic...

you could always say that you always concentrate while riding your bike...thats what i thought too.

gruppo said:
Intelligence, or stupidity in your words, has nothing to do with it. It is called freedom of choice -- at least here in America that is one of our options, and to be quite frank, it is none of your damn business whether I wear a helmet or not.

gruppo said:
Approaching an activity that contains an indentifiable risk for injury and not taking modest measures to minimize that risk is still considered stupid by most people. It just so happens that you are exercising your freedom of choice at the same time. Choosing to take an un-needed risk. Just like driving without a seatbelt (although in that instance, your freedom to choose unwisely has been curtailed by law).

You're right that it isn't anyone's business of course, but here we have this thread, so people are responding. No need to be rude.

gruppo said:
It's unfortunate that so many Americans embrace "freedom of choice" to the point where they choose to make stupid decisions just because they've got the "right" to do so.

Shreklookalike said:
It's unfortunate that so many Americans embrace "freedom of choice" to the point where they choose to make stupid decisions just because they've got the "right" to do so.

maybe I was too harsh. Let me put it another way. No one here is debating whether it is a matter of freedom of choice. We all agree that it's great to exercise our freedom of choice. At issue here is whether not wearing a helmet is a smart choice, or a stupid choice. Kinda like a Fish Called Wanda. "Now was that smart, Otto? Or was that stupid?" "Don't call me stupid!"

ALWAYS!!!!.

as we say here in OZ "You've only got one head, then wear a helmet". Look at the Legendary A. Kivilev . calm bunch, 30kph, sideways fall, Gone.

theres also another saying here, "If you've got a $10 head then wear a $10 helmet". I love that one but its dead true and my MET Ippogriffo knows it.

In my 15 years in the fire and rescue business, I have seen more than a few bicycling accidents, and I have seen some cases where helmet use definately saved the rider from death or severe head injury.

One the the best examples was a young rider (9 years old) descending a paved hill at a pretty fair clip. Somehow, he managed to stop his front wheel (IIRC, something he was carrying got stuck in the wheel. Yes, this was a bad idea on his part). As expected, he was thrown over the bars, and landed more or less head first on the pavement. Major damage to the helmet. After an initial period of unconsciousness, he regained consciousness. As a precaution, I flew him to our local pediatric trauma referral center, where his CT scan showed some slight bruising of the brain. At the scene, his mother thanked me for working on her child, and I told her that making sure he was wearing a helmet was thanks enough. The trauma surgeon and neurologist both agreed with my assessment that the helmet prevented a fatal injury or lifelong disability.

Very similar situation with a young lady riding her mountain bike (~20 year old), washed out the front wheel and hit a tree head first. Helmet took the hit, split nearly in half under the shell. Very little doubt in my mind she would have been very seriously injured but not for the helmet.

One of the others on my crew had run a similar incident on that same part of the trail. That patient was not wearing a helmet, and ended up with a serious closed head injury. He lives in a long term care facility now.

Just my thoughts.

Matt

I don't wear one, don't even have one!

Allmost all of my rides are in the city streets and at a cruising speed of 20/25 Kmh.
Besides, I really can't stand nothing on my head. The most I wear is a cap in some rainy days because of the glasses, or a good cap for the heat when riding in the summer sun - even this two ocasions I delay (the cap) as much as I can handle!

I would, definetly, wear a helmet if I did races or MTB, but I don't!

Daremo said:
I never used to except in group rides when my teammates would make me (and at all races as required).

But I now do most of the time because I stress to my 4 yr old how important it is so he wears his.

When we are driving or watching a road race on TV, he will always immediately ask me where the rider's helmet is if they don't have one on, and he has caught me twice without it, and I got reprimanded by him (and the wife).

So I wear it most of the time now ........ :p

When I'll have a kid of my own, I'll wear one :( to be an example, but after he reaches the age in wich he can ride alone safely, I won't need it anymore! :D

fbruno69 said:

I don't wear one, don't even have one!

Allmost all of my rides are in the city streets and at a cruising speed of 20/25 Kmh.

Im sure thats what Kivilev was thinking too, and he was an unbelievably experienced pro. Most of us however, are not. That why accidents are called "accidents" cos no one saw it coming. Can you be prepared for something you'll never see coming without a helmet????? Wear a helmet man and I'll buy you a beer.

I hate when I see a parent on a bike with no helmet with a young child with a helmet in a child carrier, trailer or just riding behind. If the parent falls and injurs themselves who will be there to help the child.whle the parent lay there unconscious.

origanic said:
I think the thing that irritates me most is when young kids (maybe adults as well) have helmets on their heads, but if you look closely, they are not even clipped together. I have seen lots of kids in my neighbourhood doing this, almost appearing to be the "cool" thing to do.

Anyone else notice this in their regions? I think it is so silly, but it is their brain that will be hurt, not mine, all at the price of being "cool".

Sandra :eek:

rek said:
Re the poll option "I keep it with me in case i see a cop." it makes me laugh and angry at the same time. I see SO many people do this (usually they hang the helmet by the straps, on the handlebar), and I just don't get it.

I agree totally. This is usually silly, teenage boys, of course. And usually ones that do not look too bright. But then I have caught my treenage daughter doing the same thing.

I'll remember this ;)
superclimber said:
Wear a helmet man and I'll buy you a beer.
And if you are willing to come to the other side of the world (where more or less in the Antipodas of each other) to buy me a beer, then I'll buy one!

Now for real!
I agree that a helmet can save one live, but just as I don't wear a helmet when walking, I don't need one on a bike - riding sportive is a different issue - the best time I did for my commute was 32 min, a <9km flat route in streets with low speed (50kmh) and low traffic!
I know there is the risk, as I know there is one every time I enter a car and I don't see no one advocating the use of helmets in cars!
(I had a friend who died in a car accident - low speed, seatbelt on - but is head it the door! Exactly the kind of accident a helmet would prevent!)

When I find a helmet that is confortable I might buy it, but until then and while my riding style don't change I won't.
I know there is the risk, just as there is one everytime I take a shower! And I keep not wearing a helmet in the shower!

is that why most new cars are now fitted with STANDARD front and side airbags for drivers and passengers, so they dont need helmets as that would be the natural progression and the designers are obviously doing their bit to take responsibility. All race car drivers HAVE to wear helmets in their cars.So do Pro cyclists now. Why isn't everybody taking notice of these two examples. I vowed to always wear a helmet no matter what (and comfort will NEVER be an excuse for anyone) and in any condition , rain hail shine or sweltering heat the day i saw pictures of Casartelli"s body lying still in rivers of blood on the Portet d"Aspet. I could not bear putting my family throught such devastation if it could be potentially avoided.