Do you wear a helmet?

davidputty said:
I amost always wear mine I was just wondering about you guys

Always. When you go down on a bike, it's usually sudden and you hit with too much force to prevent your head frome hitting the pave. Two of my weekly riding partners were involved in crashes this year (two seperate occasions). In both cases two things were broken, their collarbones and their helmets. I'd say that was $90 well spent, wouldn't you?

:cool:

Hmm, I have a different crash story to most people. Came a few days ago, landed on my right side, grazed my knee, thigh, and elbow. The force of the impact brought my head onto the pavement hard enough to crack my helmet into two, but other than a bit of a sore neck and a headache for 5 or 10 minutes, I was fine. The helmet was only a week old too!

*Alice said:
yes i do wear a helmet.

why does everyone look sexy in a helmet except for me.
i look stupid.

I find that very hard to believe after seeing your photo in the "What do you guys all look like?" thread.

Usually I do not if I am riding by myself, on a short ride or a lightly traveled roadway.
If riding with any kind of group I will allways wear it.
I have been riding for many years and had several crashes and never hit my head. I just can not get use to wearing it.

Always, probability sez I gotta. 11 years as a messenger, 2 years USCF 2 years NORBA, endless training & recreational rides and I've yet to ride in a meatwagon or need a hospital, cept in an offroad race once, thing to do is crush your leg wayyy out in the bush make those paramedics work for a living, carrying you out on a backboard.

But I've had 2 helmets cracked clean off from initial impact, just as their designed to do. One time was during some intense riding, the other time I was rear ended out of nowhere (guy dropped his cig in his lap as he was about to pass me) at 39mph by a Jeep Cherokee type SUV thing. That time I was going to the StopNGo about 2 blocks from home about 2 years after beginning my no helmet no bike personal rule. I heard him coming, could feel his road position, everything was hunkydorey, then wham, nothing i could do, no way for my reflexes to account for anything more than my legs getting me in the air and above the grill with all that instant forward momentum.
I got outta that with lacerations, crushed quad, bruises, a new bike and a new friend (a cop cyclist) But I forgot to make the guy pay for my helmet, which broke in 3 places on a light pole 8 feet off the ground by the scrape mark.

Wind in my hair, free feeling yadda yadda yadda, that was 7 1/2 years ago that I wouldn't have had. I'd give up cycling altogether for 7 1/2 years of life if the choice were put to me. there's always friends, family, etc etc, Hell you gonna give up 7 1/2 years of sex, fun & rock n roll for that windswept look? More power to you, more for me when it don't work out.

Mark Russell said:
Usually I do not if I am riding by myself, on a short ride or a lightly traveled roadway.
If riding with any kind of group I will allways wear it.
I have been riding for many years and had several crashes and never hit my head. I just can not get use to wearing it.

I got hit by a car without a helmet and got three stitches and a free ride in an ambulance. I would have walked away unscathed if I had a helmet.
WHen I broke my collar bone and wrist mountian biking I put a very large dent in my helmet from a rock.
Just a cautionary tale.

I didn't used to wear a helmet, but once I started riding at higher speeds I thought better of it and always wear one now. As a side note, my good friend and I were riding in a Century several weeks ago when he got into a bad accident. We were coming down an unmarked (no signs whatsoever) hill that made an almost 90 degree turn on to a bridge. A couple of other people had fallen just before I made it there, so it was a trecherous turn. I ended up making the turn alright, but my buddy didn't. He ran straight into the railing of the bridge and went flying over. The bridge was about 10 feet up and he flew about 20 feet landing in a creek. If he hadn't had his helmet on, he would have been dead as he hit the back of his helmet on a big rock and was knocked out. He came to a couple of minutes later and was taken to the hospital for a CAT scan and xrays. Amazingly, he was ok, no broken bones or anything, just a lot of scrapes and bruises. However, his helmet had a 5 inch crack/split up the back where he hit the rock. Being one of the scariest moments I've had to endure, I will always wear a helmet!!

I always wear my helm, I love it soo much. Just wondering what do you guys wear? I have a XC one like everyone else that I never wear and I just got a flat black "**** pot."

I always do too. It also helps that my kids see me wearing one all the time. Then when I make them wear theirs the don't complain.

Yes, always. I live in a country, where traffic discipline is not the best.

I feel safe using it. Does not matter, if safety is not 100 % even with a helmet. But I feel well this way.

Best regards to everybody. Ride safe.

I tend to take mine off for going to work and sleeping... other than that its on most of the day

Always when I´m on the bike. If I had´nt, I would not be typing this today.

Waiting for a new one now, a Giro Atmos. If you buy a Giro helmet and smash it, you can buy a replacement for 30% of the SRP. (If the helmet is not older than three years that is.)

I ALWAYS wear a helmet regardless of the distance I'm riding. I have a KB Jumper which is a bit heavier and hotter that a lot of helmets but I just feel safer wearing it. I've had a couple of falls and I'm CONVINCED my helmet has protected me from some kind of injury.

I had a MET Roadrunner a few years ago and came off while riding in some woods, hit my head pretty hard and the helmet cracked but I was fine apart from some grazes. After that I invested in a full facer and some body armour for when I'm doing silly stuff. If you always wear a helmet you might ride for 5 years and not need it but at least it's there if and when you do.

I have been hit by a car twice in the last two years (courtesy of New Jersey drivers). On both occasions I wore a helmet and on both occasions the helmets got destroyed. My head was fine. I will not ride without one.

Colin

I'll take it off on long climbs if the weather is very hot, otherwise the lid stays on.