Do you wear a helmet?

When I was a teenager I did'nt wear a helmet, now I'm 23 always wear one I don't have good enough luck not to plus don't want to crack open my head on a tree, rock, bad drivers car plus if I'm not hurt I can focus on the important thing in the crash my bike! P.S dont crash to much but remember the aforementioned luck:)

It's a great match, bike and helmet. It's always on when I'm on. While teaching my 5 year old son to ride it is especially important.

I have been wearing one for years. I will admit that sometimes on short jaunts around the neighborhood I ride w/o it.

i hate accesories too much. no gloves, no sunglasses, no watch, and definatly no helmet. they look stupid and they feel horrible. i wouldnt even wear shoes and socks if i didnt have to. and yeah it is illegal but the cops around here dont seem to know or care. i am gonna make an exception on the part of accesories soon though because the windburn on my forehead is friggin horrible. im thinking one of those cool retro headbands. i do think its stupid of me to mountain bike without one but hey im not exactly confessing to being a genious here.

Almost always, the almost being riding round the block to check everything is ok. My cousin was saved by his helmet, and i have avoided a fair few serious bumps too, its not worth the risk.

Always. I have too much to live for and I have too many people who want me to live.

Always.

A cycling buddy of mine is on life support following serious head injuries sustained in 2003.
He wasn't wearing a helmet.

I know there are those who say a helmet is no real protection.
I prefer to take my chances and wear one.

tyler_derden said:
Wearing my helmet saved my life once. I am hoping it will do so again and again. Always, always, ALWAYS wear one!

TD
Well, hopefully you will not need it to save your life again :)

Once in a great while I'll take a short ride (maybe around 5 miles) in the neighborhood w/o a helmet. So far, there's a 50% chance I'll take a spill on those days.

Fortunately, no whacks on the head w/o a helmet. Only one mild whack on the head so far this season, and I was glad my helmet took the bounce.

As a rule, I'm all about helmets and gloves (although I don't currently have a decent pair of gloves), because I hate puncturing my palm in the event of a stumble, and I definitely don't care for a head injury.

I saw an old guy -no helmet- fall off and clonk his head going about 2 mph on a bike trail and get up streaming blood. You don't have to be going fast or far to get hurt and I like my current IQ so I always wear my helmet no matter how far I am going, just like I always wear a seatbelt in a car even if I am just going around the block.
My first one was one of those big heavy white Bell helmets with the orange tape on it, with that as past experience I hardly notice the nice new light ones.

This is quite a topic.I did not always wear a helmet but nowdays I do (allways) It is quite a discussion now here weather a helmet should be worn or not,legislation now makes it compulsory. From reading the posts it is clear that helmets saves lives but there are a group out there that is of the opinion that there is no proof that helmets work.I am just wondering!!!!!!!!!:(

I started wearing a helmet when I started cycling again as an adult and was making enough money to afford a good one.

I didn't go looking for proof that helmets work or don't. For me it was just a matter of wanting a nice buffer between my head and the pavement. Since I started wearing my helmet, I've only had one or two whacks, but both times I was glad it was the helmet contacting that asphalt.

Even at low speeds, bare head + pavement (or worse) = ouch. Besides, I don't want my customers seeing a bloody head. It's bad for business. ;)

FatherBob said:
I started wearing a helmet when I started cycling again as an adult and was making enough money to afford a good one.

I didn't go looking for proof that helmets work or don't. For me it was just a matter of wanting a nice buffer between my head and the pavement. Since I started wearing my helmet, I've only had one or two whacks, but both times I was glad it was the helmet contacting that asphalt.

Even at low speeds, bare head + pavement (or worse) = ouch. Besides, I don't want my customers seeing a bloody head. It's bad for business. ;)

I can't agree with you more.:D