Do you wear socks in your cycling shoes?

RC2

May 21, 2004
I always have, but know some don't... so I'm wondering. What do you put on your feet? Shoes and socks? Just shoes? Socks just for training (just shoes for competitive riding)? What?

Also, do you have a favorite cycling sock?

gotta wear socks, or your shoes are gonna pong!!

I have a fetish for cycling socks and love my old trek, VW socks and also my eddy mercx socks. Of course, this is when my wife isnt wearing them...

I always wear socks. I used to not wear them but i had to throw that pair of shoes out eventually. i think they were close to rotting!!! atleast thats what it smelt like. I personally like the Ride socks that u buy through the Aussie magazine "Ride Cycling Review". I see that they have a new model out. Does anybody know how these socks compare to the old model? Cheers.

Agreed... socks keep moisture under control, which keeps foulness (and foot disease) at bay. On top of that, most shoes (maybe some Tri models excepted) aren't designed with particularly soft, consistent linings -- the designers clearly thought you'd be wearing socks.

Only skip socks when I have to.

I can't figure out what advantage may be afforded by wearing no socks. Please enlighten me.

Bonds seamless running shoe sox from K-Mart, $3.95 excellent in my Shimanos and Diadoras ...

g

I have a couple of pairs of Defeet Air-E-Ators. Great sock, but it seems the only place i can get them in on the net. Ebay being the cheapest

Originally posted by angotja
I can't figure out what advantage may be afforded by wearing no socks. Please enlighten me.

Quicker transitions in tri's or duathlons (saving even ~5-10 sec can win a race). During training, I can't see any. I suspect some folks are picky enough about weight-shaving that they may chose to skip the socks, so I was curious as to what kind of shoes they'd be wearing. My sidi's aren't very comforable sans-socks, would probably cause blisters on a longish ride.

Definitively I wear socks every time I ride, in training or racing, I always do.

I have about 8 pairs because I tray to ride every morning and every night, and I NEVER will use a no previously washed one.

I think the no sock thing is to do with image as much as anything(same idea as shaving i suppose), as it makes your ankles look ever so slightly thinner and thus your calves look ever so slightly bigger! Just my opinion. I think it is more of a track thing than road and/or MTB though. Triathletes have their own reasons as above.

I always wear socks during training and racing. I usually see to it that it matches with my jersey.

Originally posted by gclariosa
I always wear socks during training and racing. I usually see to it that it matches with my jersey.
I, on the contrary, strive for the opposite -- my jersey, shorts, glove, helmet, and bike should match, but I go to great lengths to make sure I'm wearing a 'Sycip' sock on one foot, and a 'Clif Bar' sock on the other... or a 'Klein' sock on one foot, and a 'Wonder Bread' or 'Impeach Bush' sock on the other foot. Sock pairings must look casually derranged for my taste.

:cool:

I never wear socks. I use Sandals with SPD compatible cleats. They work great on a tour, as your feet are almost always dry, even immediately after a sudden shower.
I never wore socks before the "sandal days" either, and I never wore socks with my Hockeys Skates. They seem to be more an extended part of your body that way..........amd it helps keep the dogs from biting your ankles.

..........byfred

Originally posted by byfred
I never wear socks. I use Sandals with SPD compatible cleats. They work great on a tour, as your feet are almost always dry, even immediately after a sudden shower.
I never wore socks before the "sandal days" either, and I never wore socks with my Hockeys Skates. They seem to be more an extended part of your body that way..........amd it helps keep the dogs from biting your ankles.

..........byfred

i only wear em if its like below fifty degrees f

i think the real question is:
do you wear underwear underneath your cycling shorts? :eek: