Doc Wants Me on Atkins

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Damsel in dis Dress, Mar 24, 2006.

  1. I had my annual physical today, and my doctor really, really didn't
    like the blood sugar readings I had collected. She knows that I did
    well on Atkins before, and she wants me to make it a permanent
    lifestyle. This is all about blood sugar control, so

    I have Binge Eating Disorder, and can't find a therapist less than 50
    miles away who has the faintest clue how to work with eating
    disorders. The cool thing about going back on Atkins is that I may
    occasionally eat something I shouldn't, but I don't eat drastic
    amounts of anything (besides vegetables).

    A half serving of steel cut oats at bedtime does a nice job of keeping
    things level overnight, and my fasting BG is lower on the mornings
    when I'd eating the oats than on the ones when I hadn't. My other
    low-carb sin is that I plan on eating an apple for my mid-morning and
    mid-afternoon snacks. With those "treats" as a planned part of my
    eating plan, I shouldn't feel deprived at all.

    And thank you, JC, for telling me about standing push-ups. I feel so
    good when I've done a bunch of those and some other exercises.

    Okay, gotta go set up an account on FitDay.

    Peace,
    Carol
     
    Tags:


  2. Saffire

    Saffire Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > I had my annual physical today, and my doctor really, really didn't
    > like the blood sugar readings I had collected. She knows that I did
    > well on Atkins before, and she wants me to make it a permanent
    > lifestyle. This is all about blood sugar control, so


    Hi Carol, welcome back! It's great to see you here again!

    --
    Saffire
    205/136/125
    Atkins since 6/14/03
    Progress photo: http://photos.yahoo.com/saffire333

    *** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- its appearance
    in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***
     
  3. A.D.C.

    A.D.C. Guest

    welcome back
    "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I had my annual physical today, and my doctor really, really didn't
    > like the blood sugar readings I had collected. She knows that I did
    > well on Atkins before, and she wants me to make it a permanent
    > lifestyle. This is all about blood sugar control, so
    >
    > I have Binge Eating Disorder, and can't find a therapist less than 50
    > miles away who has the faintest clue how to work with eating
    > disorders. The cool thing about going back on Atkins is that I may
    > occasionally eat something I shouldn't, but I don't eat drastic
    > amounts of anything (besides vegetables).
    >
    > A half serving of steel cut oats at bedtime does a nice job of keeping
    > things level overnight, and my fasting BG is lower on the mornings
    > when I'd eating the oats than on the ones when I hadn't. My other
    > low-carb sin is that I plan on eating an apple for my mid-morning and
    > mid-afternoon snacks. With those "treats" as a planned part of my
    > eating plan, I shouldn't feel deprived at all.
    >
    > And thank you, JC, for telling me about standing push-ups. I feel so
    > good when I've done a bunch of those and some other exercises.
    >
    > Okay, gotta go set up an account on FitDay.
    >
    > Peace,
    > Carol
     
  4. Tara

    Tara Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    > I had my annual physical today, and my doctor really, really didn't
    > like the blood sugar readings I had collected. She knows that I did
    > well on Atkins before, and she wants me to make it a permanent
    > lifestyle. This is all about blood sugar control, so
    >
    > I have Binge Eating Disorder, and can't find a therapist less than 50
    > miles away who has the faintest clue how to work with eating
    > disorders. The cool thing about going back on Atkins is that I may
    > occasionally eat something I shouldn't, but I don't eat drastic
    > amounts of anything (besides vegetables).
    >
    > A half serving of steel cut oats at bedtime does a nice job of keeping
    > things level overnight, and my fasting BG is lower on the mornings
    > when I'd eating the oats than on the ones when I hadn't. My other
    > low-carb sin is that I plan on eating an apple for my mid-morning and
    > mid-afternoon snacks. With those "treats" as a planned part of my
    > eating plan, I shouldn't feel deprived at all.
    >
    > And thank you, JC, for telling me about standing push-ups. I feel so
    > good when I've done a bunch of those and some other exercises.
    >
    > Okay, gotta go set up an account on FitDay.
    >
    > Peace,
    > Carol



    Welcome back Carol.

    Tara
     
  5. Marengo

    Marengo Guest

    On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 13:56:34 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    |I had my annual physical today, and my doctor really, really didn't
    |like the blood sugar readings I had collected. She knows that I did
    |well on Atkins before, and she wants me to make it a permanent
    |lifestyle. This is all about blood sugar control, so
    |
    |I have Binge Eating Disorder, and can't find a therapist less than 50
    |miles away who has the faintest clue how to work with eating
    |disorders. The cool thing about going back on Atkins is that I may
    |occasionally eat something I shouldn't, but I don't eat drastic
    |amounts of anything (besides vegetables).
    |
    |A half serving of steel cut oats at bedtime does a nice job of keeping
    |things level overnight, and my fasting BG is lower on the mornings
    |when I'd eating the oats than on the ones when I hadn't. My other
    |low-carb sin is that I plan on eating an apple for my mid-morning and
    |mid-afternoon snacks. With those "treats" as a planned part of my
    |eating plan, I shouldn't feel deprived at all.
    |
    |And thank you, JC, for telling me about standing push-ups. I feel so
    |good when I've done a bunch of those and some other exercises.
    |
    |Okay, gotta go set up an account on FitDay.
    |
    |Peace,
    |Carol


    Hi Carol. Good luck this go-around!
    --

    Peter
     
  6. carol,
    a very helpful book is THE DIABETES SOLUTION by dr. bernstein.
    it goes well with the ATKINS program and gives you great tips!
    welcome back to the group!
     
  7. On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 15:21:59 GMT, "readandpostrosie"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >carol,
    >a very helpful book is THE DIABETES SOLUTION by dr. bernstein.
    >it goes well with the ATKINS program and gives you great tips!
    >welcome back to the group!


    Hi Rosie!

    I did buy a copy of Dr. Bernstein's book and read it. I tried
    following his diet, but I just plain can't give up all fruit for the
    rest of my life, as he dictates. There were a few other things, too,
    but I want my apples, dammit! LOL! Seriously, it was so restrictive,
    I know I could never live that way for more than a month, tops.

    And I tried South Beach. Past phase one, it's not restrictive enough
    for a diabetic. So, Atkins it is!

    Thanks for the welcome and the recommendation. *smile* And thank you
    to everyone else who welcomed me back the the fold.

    Peace,
    Carol
     
  8. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    :: On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 15:21:59 GMT, "readandpostrosie"
    :: <[email protected]> wrote:
    ::
    ::: carol,
    ::: a very helpful book is THE DIABETES SOLUTION by dr. bernstein.
    ::: it goes well with the ATKINS program and gives you great tips!
    ::: welcome back to the group!
    ::
    :: Hi Rosie!
    ::
    :: I did buy a copy of Dr. Bernstein's book and read it. I tried
    :: following his diet, but I just plain can't give up all fruit for the
    :: rest of my life, as he dictates. There were a few other things, too,
    :: but I want my apples, dammit! LOL! Seriously, it was so
    :: restrictive, I know I could never live that way for more than a
    :: month, tops.
    ::
    :: And I tried South Beach. Past phase one, it's not restrictive enough
    :: for a diabetic. So, Atkins it is!
    ::
    :: Thanks for the welcome and the recommendation. *smile* And thank
    :: you to everyone else who welcomed me back the the fold.
    ::
    :: Peace,
    :: Carol

    Hi Carol.

    Have you looked at "Atkins Diabetes Revolution"?
     
  9. On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 14:54:48 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi Carol.
    >
    >Have you looked at "Atkins Diabetes Revolution"?


    Nopers, I haven't. Is it extremely restrictive, like the Bernstein
    plan? I need to feel like a human, if that makes any sense.

    Man can not live by yogurt alone.

    Peace,
    Carol
     
  10. Susan

    Susan Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

    > Nopers, I haven't. Is it extremely restrictive, like the Bernstein
    > plan? I need to feel like a human, if that makes any sense.
    >
    > Man can not live by yogurt alone.



    Bernstein is a great font of information, but you don't have to follow
    everything to the T. Use a glucose meter, make sure whatever you eat
    doesn't spike you higher than 140 at any point, and keep your limbs,
    eyesight, kidneys with you til you depart.

    Berries can usually be worked in after you have good control, so can
    some other fruits, in small portions; there are tradeoffs. Sometimes you
    splurge, then you hit the treadmill or sidewalk for a good 20 minutes to
    prevent the spike. This is what I do if I have sushi or dessert, and my
    bg doesn't go high.

    HTH.

    Susan
     
  11. On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 18:02:00 -0500, Susan <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Bernstein is a great font of information, but you don't have to follow
    >everything to the T. Use a glucose meter, make sure whatever you eat
    >doesn't spike you higher than 140 at any point, and keep your limbs,
    >eyesight, kidneys with you til you depart.


    140 now! Last I heard, it was 180. I have some hard work ahead of
    me.

    >Berries can usually be worked in after you have good control, so can
    >some other fruits, in small portions; there are tradeoffs. Sometimes you
    >splurge, then you hit the treadmill or sidewalk for a good 20 minutes to
    >prevent the spike. This is what I do if I have sushi or dessert, and my
    >bg doesn't go high.


    When I was just taking Metformin, I couldn't eat any berries at all,
    because they spiked me. My doctor added 8mg of Avandia at my latest
    visit, so maybe I'll be able to move on to Phase 2 this time around.

    Before when I was doing Atkins, the only way I could maintain
    acceptable BG readings was to stay around 15 grams of carbs a day. I'm
    hopeful that the additional medication will allow me a bit more
    freedom of choice with foods.

    My kingdom for an apple!

    Peace,
    Carol
     
  12. Susan

    Susan Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 18:02:00 -0500, Susan <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Bernstein is a great font of information, but you don't have to follow
    >>everything to the T. Use a glucose meter, make sure whatever you eat
    >>doesn't spike you higher than 140 at any point, and keep your limbs,
    >>eyesight, kidneys with you til you depart.

    >
    >
    > 140 now! Last I heard, it was 180. I have some hard work ahead of
    > me.


    The ADA still says 180. The problem is that a lot of cellular damage
    happens over 100, and organ damage is significant over 140. Joslin
    says 160 at one hour, and 140 at two hours. I stay under 120 at all
    times. I used to do it with diet alone, but now I take metformin for
    insulin resistance, too.

    > When I was just taking Metformin, I couldn't eat any berries at all,
    > because they spiked me. My doctor added 8mg of Avandia at my latest
    > visit, so maybe I'll be able to move on to Phase 2 this time around.


    Or maybe Bernstein was right about fruit in your case. You may have to
    limit them a lot more than you want to. Or take them right before exercise.

    > Before when I was doing Atkins, the only way I could maintain
    > acceptable BG readings was to stay around 15 grams of carbs a day. I'm
    > hopeful that the additional medication will allow me a bit more
    > freedom of choice with foods.
    >
    > My kingdom for an apple!


    Carol, 15 grams a day must be very hard.

    Susan
     
  13. On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 18:46:52 -0500, Susan <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Carol, 15 grams a day must be very hard.


    I had lost lots of weight (gained some, but not all, of it back), but
    I just couldn't live like that for the long-term. I'm hopeful that
    the Avandia will allow me to have my apple and eat it too. <G>

    Thanks for the encouragement and information!

    Peace,
    Carol
     
  14. Susan

    Susan Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

    > I had lost lots of weight (gained some, but not all, of it back), but
    > I just couldn't live like that for the long-term. I'm hopeful that
    > the Avandia will allow me to have my apple and eat it too. <G>


    Carol, as long as you are very careful about your total carbs, those
    meds should allow you to have an apple, or half an apple.

    Susan
     
  15. Susan wrote:
    > Bernstein is a great font of information, but you don't have to follow
    > everything to the T. Use a glucose meter, make sure whatever you eat
    > doesn't spike you higher than 140 at any point, and keep your limbs,
    > eyesight, kidneys with you til you depart.
    >
    > Berries can usually be worked in after you have good control, so can
    > some other fruits, in small portions; there are tradeoffs. Sometimes you
    > splurge, then you hit the treadmill or sidewalk for a good 20 minutes to
    > prevent the spike. This is what I do if I have sushi or dessert, and my
    > bg doesn't go high.


    This is my basic philosophy. I like Bernstein very, very much. I
    recommend his book often. But I've never followed his diet and have no
    intention of doing so.

    Bernstein is there for *understanding* how diabetes works. Like...
    for... when you get sick and your bg spikes and stays spiked for a week
    even though you're too ill to eat at *all* - ando you know that illness
    causes high bg. Or for knowing which supplements and drugs have truly
    been shown to lower bg or reduce IR or such. He's *great* for
    information and learning about diabetes and understanding it.

    But... how I eat and exercise and which supplements I take - this stuff
    are decisions I've made for myself. I've learned from a lot of
    different resources, including Bernstein, Atkins, the Eades... but the
    ultimate is what my bg meter reads.

    I do a homegrown diet. And it's primarily based on bg readings...
    what I have found works for *me*. I don't eat apples or bananas, but I
    do eat fruit almost every single day - generally melons and berries, in
    amounts I know don't spike me much.

    My bg is always high in the mornings, lotsa experiments and theories
    have eben tested and nothing lowers my fbg to what I consider
    acceptable fasting levels. But... I find it I have my fruit with
    yogurt or cottage cheese for breakfats, there's almost no spike... it
    doesn't rise above 120-140 or so (which is how I wake up anyways). So
    that's what I do.

    I tried everything to lower my morning blood glucose... have read tons
    on Dawn Phenomenon, and even tried not eating at all and exercising
    first thing to burn it off. Nothing fixes it... I have pretty high bg
    in the morning and it seems to take hours to come down. I eat fruit
    then and it doesn't go up any, so that's good enough for me.

    The long and short of it is... regardless of what I do, what I eat at
    night or in the morning(I've even experimented with setting the alarm
    and getting up to eat in the middle of the night!), or when I
    exercise... my bg is a bit higher than I like for several hours each
    morning. And fruit doesn't particularly make that worse... so that's
    when I eat my fruit.

    But... it took freaking months and months of trying things and
    monitoring before I figured this out about myself.

    It's *always* personal... about what works on *your* blood glucose.
    And ya can't find out except to test, test, test...
     
  16. Well, I was here, and I did well, and my bg numbers were good. And then I
    left, and well, I'm up a lot of weight and the bg numbers are not good.

    My doctor wants me back on this program, and I want to be here, too; I'm
    sick and tired of being sick and tired.

    Groceries in? check
    FitDay account reactiviated? check
    Confessional post to this newsgroup? check

    I'm back and it's for life.

    *Thank you* for being here.

    mmm
    270/270/169
     
  17. Cheri

    Cheri Guest

    Welcome back Marilyn. I wish you much success.

    --
    Cheri


    Marilyn Matte wrote in message ...
    >Well, I was here, and I did well, and my bg numbers were good. And

    then I
    >left, and well, I'm up a lot of weight and the bg numbers are not good.
    >
    >My doctor wants me back on this program, and I want to be here, too;

    I'm
    >sick and tired of being sick and tired.
    >
    >Groceries in? check
    >FitDay account reactiviated? check
    >Confessional post to this newsgroup? check
    >
    >I'm back and it's for life.
    >
    >*Thank you* for being here.
    >
    >mmm
    >270/270/169
    >
     
  18. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Glad you see you're back, Marilyn. Please stay!

    Marilyn Matte wrote:
    :: Well, I was here, and I did well, and my bg numbers were good. And
    :: then I left, and well, I'm up a lot of weight and the bg numbers are
    :: not good.
    ::
    :: My doctor wants me back on this program, and I want to be here, too;
    :: I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired.
    ::
    :: Groceries in? check
    :: FitDay account reactiviated? check
    :: Confessional post to this newsgroup? check
    ::
    :: I'm back and it's for life.
    ::
    :: *Thank you* for being here.
    ::
    :: mmm
    :: 270/270/169
     
  19. On 26 Mar 2006 15:44:02 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >I tried everything to lower my morning blood glucose... have read tons
    >on Dawn Phenomenon, and even tried not eating at all and exercising
    >first thing to burn it off. Nothing fixes it... I have pretty high bg
    >in the morning and it seems to take hours to come down. I eat fruit
    >then and it doesn't go up any, so that's good enough for me.
    >
    >The long and short of it is... regardless of what I do, what I eat at
    >night or in the morning(I've even experimented with setting the alarm
    >and getting up to eat in the middle of the night!), or when I
    >exercise... my bg is a bit higher than I like for several hours each
    >morning.


    Have you given steel cut oats at bedtime a try? I've had good success
    with that approach. Dawn Phenomenon sucks, doesn't it?

    Peace,
    Carol
     
Loading...