Doctoring Up TJ's V8 Clone?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by J. Eric Durbin, Feb 16, 2006.

  1. I tried Trader Joe's V8 clone but found it too vinegary for my taste.

    Is there any way to doctor it up to cut the vinegar without adding a
    ton of salt and making it unhealthy?

    Tags:

  2. salgud

    salgud Guest

    J. Eric Durbin wrote:
    > I tried Trader Joe's V8 clone but found it too vinegary for my taste.
    >
    > Is there any way to doctor it up to cut the vinegar without adding a
    > ton of salt and making it unhealthy?

    Depends on how "unhealthy" you consider sugar. It'll cut the vinegary
    taste.

  3. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:30:12 -0800, J. Eric Durbin
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I tried Trader Joe's V8 clone but found it too vinegary for my taste.
    >
    >Is there any way to doctor it up to cut the vinegar without adding a
    >ton of salt and making it unhealthy?

    Salt won't counteract the vinegar taste anyway. You might want to
    look and see how much salt is in there already if you're worried
    about salt.

    My suggestion is to add vodka and celery stick.

    -sw

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    J. Eric Durbin <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I tried Trader Joe's V8 clone but found it too vinegary for my taste.
    >
    > Is there any way to doctor it up to cut the vinegar without adding a
    > ton of salt and making it unhealthy?

    stir in a little baking soda to neutralize the acid. only the tiniest
    bit. Too much and it'll be kind of ashy tasting,
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups

  5. On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:10:56 -0600, Steve Wertz
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:30:12 -0800, J. Eric Durbin
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I tried Trader Joe's V8 clone but found it too vinegary for my taste.
    >>
    >>Is there any way to doctor it up to cut the vinegar without adding a
    >>ton of salt and making it unhealthy?

    >Salt won't counteract the vinegar taste anyway. You might want to
    >look and see how much salt is in there already if you're worried
    >about salt.
    >
    >My suggestion is to add vodka and celery stick.

    That thought had occurred to me.

  6. On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:03:04 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > J. Eric Durbin <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I tried Trader Joe's V8 clone but found it too vinegary for my taste.
    >>
    >> Is there any way to doctor it up to cut the vinegar without adding a
    >> ton of salt and making it unhealthy?

    >stir in a little baking soda to neutralize the acid. only the tiniest
    >bit. Too much and it'll be kind of ashy tasting,

    That's a new one on me. I would never have though of baking soda, I'll
    give a try as well as Salgud's suggestion of a bit of sugar.

    Hmm, I wonder if bicarbonate of soda would work? I could drop an Alka
    Seltzer in there and kill two birds, less vinegar taste and no
    headache if it's a bloody Mary.

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    J. Eric Durbin <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:03:04 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <[email protected]>,
    > > J. Eric Durbin <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I tried Trader Joe's V8 clone but found it too vinegary for my taste.
    > >>
    > >> Is there any way to doctor it up to cut the vinegar without adding a
    > >> ton of salt and making it unhealthy?

    > >stir in a little baking soda to neutralize the acid. only the tiniest
    > >bit. Too much and it'll be kind of ashy tasting,

    > That's a new one on me. I would never have though of baking soda, I'll
    > give a try as well as Salgud's suggestion of a bit of sugar.
    >
    > Hmm, I wonder if bicarbonate of soda would work? I could drop an Alka
    > Seltzer in there and kill two birds, less vinegar taste and no
    > headache if it's a bloody Mary.

    The sugar will cover the taste of the vinegar; the soda will neutralize
    the acid without changing the taste other than it will be less acidic.
    I do it all the time with spaghetti sauce. It's one way (others often
    recommend sauteeing carrots) to reduce the acidity without making the
    sauce sweet tasting. Learned it here.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups

  8. sf

    sf Guest

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:54:43 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > It's one way (others often
    > recommend sauteeing carrots) to reduce the acidity without making the
    > sauce sweet tasting. Learned it here.

    I absolutely HATE spaghetti sauce that has any amout of carrot in it,
    because it's way too sweet.

  9. Steve Pope

    Steve Pope Guest

    sf <sfpipeline_at_gmail.com> wrote:

    >On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:54:43 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    >> It's one way (others often
    >> recommend sauteeing carrots) to reduce the acidity without making the
    >> sauce sweet tasting. Learned it here.

    >I absolutely HATE spaghetti sauce that has any amout of carrot in it,
    >because it's way too sweet.

    Yes, a better plan is to slice up the carrots and add them
    to the boiling pasta water a couple minutes before the pasta
    is done.

    I also can't imagine a spaghetti sauce being too acidic
    unless you accidentally added to much vinegar to it.

    Steve

  10. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Steve Pope wrote:

    > I also can't imagine a spaghetti sauce being too acidic
    > unless you accidentally added to much vinegar to it.
    >
    > Steve

    Tomatoes are often too acidic - depending on the variety, season, where
    they are grown, soil content, etc.

    -L.

  11. Steve Pope

    Steve Pope Guest

    -L. <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Steve Pope wrote:

    >> I also can't imagine a spaghetti sauce being too acidic
    >> unless you accidentally added to much vinegar to it.

    >Tomatoes are often too acidic - depending on the variety, season, where
    >they are grown, soil content, etc.

    Good point. I would not encounter this because the only
    tomatoes I buy are either from a farmers market in season (in
    which case, I would have tasted one and not purchased if too
    acidic), or canned domestic or boxed/jarred Italian tomatos
    neither of which are ever acidic.

    I normally add vinegar to a spaghetti sauce, usually some red wine
    vinegar for acidity and some basalmic for flavor.

    Steve

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Steve Pope) wrote:

    > sf <sfpipeline_at_gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:54:43 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > >> It's one way (others often
    > >> recommend sauteeing carrots) to reduce the acidity without making the
    > >> sauce sweet tasting. Learned it here.

    > >I absolutely HATE spaghetti sauce that has any amout of carrot in it,
    > >because it's way too sweet.

    > Yes, a better plan is to slice up the carrots and add them
    > to the boiling pasta water a couple minutes before the pasta
    > is done.
    >
    > I also can't imagine a spaghetti sauce being too acidic
    > unless you accidentally added to much vinegar to it.
    >
    > Steve

    Personal preference. I don't add vinegar my spaghetti sauce; sometimes
    the tomatoes are more acidic tasting than I prefer.

    Why would you add the carrots to the pasta water? Or was that a joke?
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups

  13. Steve Pope

    Steve Pope Guest

    Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Why would you add the carrots to the pasta water? Or was that a joke?

    Same reason you'd add any other vegetable to the pasta water
    to cook them. Zuchinni (sp?) or bell pepper is more typical in my
    household.

    My mother was Italian, we do these things. Definitely not
    a joke! ;)

    Steve

  14. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Steve Pope) wrote:

    > Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Why would you add the carrots to the pasta water? Or was that a joke?

    > Same reason you'd add any other vegetable to the pasta water
    > to cook them. Zuchinni (sp?) or bell pepper is more typical in my
    > household.
    >
    > My mother was Italian, we do these things. Definitely not
    > a joke! ;)
    >
    > Steve

    I'll light a candle.
    Boiled bell pepper, huh? There oughtta be a law.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups

  15. Steve Pope

    Steve Pope Guest

    Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

    > [email protected] (Steve Pope) wrote:

    >> Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Why would you add the carrots to the pasta water? Or was that a joke?

    >> Same reason you'd add any other vegetable to the pasta water
    >> to cook them. Zuchinni (sp?) or bell pepper is more typical in my
    >> household.
    >>
    >> My mother was Italian, we do these things. Definitely not
    >> a joke! ;)
    >>
    >> Steve

    >I'll light a candle.
    >Boiled bell pepper, huh? There oughtta be a law.

    It's perfectly good, you should try it sometime and it
    results in a lower-fat dish than if you sauteed it.

    Steve
    >--
    >http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups

  16. : On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:03:04 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    : <[email protected]> wrote:

    : >In article <[email protected]>,
    : > J. Eric Durbin <[email protected]> wrote:
    : >
    : >> I tried Trader Joe's V8 clone but found it too vinegary for my taste.
    : >>
    : >> Is there any way to doctor it up to cut the vinegar without adding a
    : >> ton of salt and making it unhealthy?
    : >
    : >stir in a little baking soda to neutralize the acid. only the tiniest
    : >bit. Too much and it'll be kind of ashy tasting,

    : That's a new one on me. I would never have though of baking soda, I'll
    : give a try as well as Salgud's suggestion of a bit of sugar.

    : Hmm, I wonder if bicarbonate of soda would work? I could drop an Alka
    : Seltzer in there and kill two birds, less vinegar taste and no
    : headache if it's a bloody Mary.

    "baking soda" and "bicarbonate of soda" are the exact same thing. You're
    probably thinking of "baking powder" which is _not_ the same as "baking
    soda".