Dodd Summit

In message <[email protected]>, Stuart Baldwin <[email protected]> writes
>On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:42:17 +0000, Martin Richardson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>There are loads of memorials that are not right at the summit. One that puzzled me was on Darnaw
>>and mentions the Daily Express Dragon Fly airplane crash. I cannot find any information on this
>>anywhere.
>
>http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/beyond/factsheets/makhist/makhist7_prog4a.shtml
>
>Top result from searching for "daily express" dragonfly on Google.

Thanks Stuart - do you know I have searched Google before on this - a couple of years ago. Just
shows should go back and try again.

The previous discussion on memorials prompted me earlier this evening to look for information on the
so-called Sheffield flood from the collapse of the Dale Dyke reservoir embankment in 1864 - after
spotting a memorial there the other day whilst doing a dog walk around the aforesaid reservoir.

Found an entire e-book on the sorry episode including graphic details of how entire houses were
demolished and even a transcript of the inquests of the 240+ dead at
http://www.shef.ac.uk/misc/personal/cs1ma/flood/flood.html

What a harrowing story.

Maybe not as spectacular to look at, on the ground, as the breached wall in the Carneddaus (the name
of the valley eludes me at this moment)

--
Martin Richardson
216/284 Munros (34/34 'Furths')

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 00:39:27 +0000, Martin Richardson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> In message <[email protected]>, Stuart Baldwin <[email protected]> writes
>> On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:42:17 +0000, Martin Richardson <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> There are loads of memorials that are not right at the summit. One that puzzled me was on Darnaw
>>> and mentions the Daily Express Dragon Fly airplane crash. I cannot find any information on this
>>> anywhere.
>>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/beyond/factsheets/makhist/makhist7_prog4a.shtml
>>
>> Top result from searching for "daily express" dragonfly on Google.
>
> Thanks Stuart - do you know I have searched Google before on this - a couple of years ago. Just
> shows should go back and try again.
>
> The previous discussion on memorials prompted me earlier this evening to look for information on
> the so-called Sheffield flood from the collapse of the Dale Dyke reservoir embankment in 1864 -
> after spotting a memorial there the other day whilst doing a dog walk around the aforesaid
> reservoir.
>
> Found an entire e-book on the sorry episode including graphic details of how entire houses were
> demolished and even a transcript of the inquests of the 240+ dead at
> http://www.shef.ac.uk/misc/personal/cs1ma/flood/flood.html
>
> What a harrowing story.
>
> Maybe not as spectacular to look at, on the ground, as the breached wall in the Carneddaus (the
> name of the valley eludes me at this moment)

That'll be Cwm Eigiau.

Pat

--
Pat Bennett www.cheshirewildlife.co.uk