Dodgy Halfords tyre ...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ben, Jun 9, 2003.

  1. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Just bought a new tyre from Halfords ... I got it home, and was about to fit it when I noticed it
    has been slashed! Scoring is clearly visible for ab out 6cm around the rim, with a hole about a
    centimeter long already formed. Who would be unpleasent enough to do this? I'd be tempted to say
    it was a marketing ploy - I could have easily missed it, and the tyre certainly wouldn't have
    lasted long, but the shop hands all seemed really nice. Oh well, refund time. Have to put on my
    indignant face ....

    Tags:

  2. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Just bought a new tyre from Halfords ... I got it home, and was about to
    fit
    > it when I noticed it has been slashed! Scoring is clearly visible for ab out 6cm around the rim,
    > with a hole
    about
    > a centimeter long already formed. Who would be unpleasent enough to do this? I'd be tempted to say
    > it was a marketing ploy - I could have easily missed it, and the tyre certainly wouldn't have
    > lasted long, but the shop hands
    all
    > seemed really nice. Oh well, refund time. Have to put on my indignant face ....

    Ben, Worry not me old mucka, it's normal practice for Halfords. Apparently they come delivered
    tied up in bundles. When the lads n lasses undo them, they just get a stanley knife to cut through
    the binding and occassionally get the tyre too. It's not malicious, just unfortunate. Take it
    back, explain to them. Depending upon how the individual feels they'll either confide in you, with
    a cheeky grin to boot or just deal with it deadpan, safe in the knowledge that you couldn't
    possibly know how it had occured. Either way, any expense incurred / time wasted on your part is
    largely irrelevant and doesn't need to be taken into account when rectifying the problem. Cheers,
    have fun, Dave.

  3. John'S Cat

    John'S Cat Guest

    On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 18:45:49 +0100, "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Just bought a new tyre from Halfords ... I got it home, and was about to fit it when I noticed it
    >has been slashed! Scoring is clearly visible for ab out 6cm around the rim, with a hole about a
    >centimeter long already formed. Who would be unpleasent enough to do this? I'd be tempted to say it
    >was a marketing ploy - I could have easily missed it, and the tyre certainly wouldn't have lasted
    >long, but the shop hands all seemed really nice. Oh well, refund time. Have to put on my indignant
    >face ....

    sounds like some clueless oik getting a bit careless with the Stanley knife when unpacking.

    Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence.

    Cheers, John

  4. Rg

    Rg Guest

    "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Just bought a new tyre from Halfords ... I got it home, and was about to
    fit
    > it when I noticed it has been slashed! Scoring is clearly visible for ab out 6cm around the rim,
    > with a hole
    about
    > a centimeter long already formed. Who would be unpleasent enough to do this? I'd be tempted to say
    > it was a marketing ploy - I could have easily missed it, and the tyre certainly wouldn't have
    > lasted long, but the shop hands
    all
    > seemed really nice. Oh well, refund time. Have to put on my indignant face ....

    Similar thing happened to me with a Halfords own brand tyre (semi-slick to replace knobblies on a
    cheapie MTB) - I rode 300 yards and the tyre split about 3inches long parallel with the wire.

    Went straight back to the shop and after "some discussion" they supplied, for not extra cost (and
    fitted them) a pair of Continental TravelMasters that have performed perfectly over many miles.
    Examination of the offending tyre did seem to show a sort of variation in thickness of the rubber on
    the canvas base.

    RG

  5. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Oh no .... I feel really guilty now! I have to say, I never really thought anyone had damaged the
    tyre on purpose, I was just a bit pissed off at the time. In fact, the folks who run the shop have
    always seemed really helpful - so if any of them are reading - sorry!

  6. Al_mossah

    Al_mossah Guest

    Coincidence. I bought one from a LBS, kept it in my pannier as a spare (in case of catestrophic
    puncture). When I came to use it it had neat slits down the inside. Either it was like that when I
    bought it, or someonne with a knife had removed it from my bike pannier, unwound it, slit it,
    re-folded it and put it back. I suspect the former, so now always check tubes as soon as I've
    bought them.

    Peter.