Dodgy hubs on Ksyrium ES wheels

wallis

May 24, 2004
Hi,

I bought a pair of Mavic special edition wheels, took them for a road test and when i started moving the bike around the rim starting hitting the brakes. The bike shop says they have "loose hubs" which they tightened, but that didnt do much, so i'm working on getting them back to Mavic to get them fixed, which takes forever. So does anyone have any experience with the problem or ideas to fix them? Or do these wheels just have a heap of flex?

Thanks, Wallis

wallis said:
Hi,

I bought a pair of Mavic special edition wheels, took them for a road test and when i started moving the bike around the rim starting hitting the brakes. The bike shop says they have "loose hubs" which they tightened, but that didnt do much, so i'm working on getting them back to Mavic to get them fixed, which takes forever. So does anyone have any experience with the problem or ideas to fix them? Or do these wheels just have a heap of flex?

Thanks, Wallis

Bike shop mechanic is an idiot. When you change rims or wheelsets you will most likely need to adjust the brakes too to make sure they properly make contact with the rim when braking, or, they dont touch the rims (like yours) when not braking.

Ksyrium ES cost serious money. They are one of the strongest, stiffest and durable wheelsets around. Unless your LBS sold you a defective pair (which in any case easy to discern if they are defective) they are otherwise mechanically sound ex-factory.

hd reynolds said:
Bike shop mechanic is an idiot. When you change rims or wheelsets you will most likely need to adjust the brakes too to make sure they properly make contact with the rim when braking, or, they dont touch the rims (like yours) when not braking.

Ksyrium ES cost serious money. They are one of the strongest, stiffest and durable wheelsets around. Unless your LBS sold you a defective pair (which in any case easy to discern if they are defective) they are otherwise mechanically sound ex-factory.
+1 This is really weird, ES's are extremely stiff , that's what you pay for, to have it flexing significantly is an anomaly, they should'nt flex and hit the brakes after you have adjusted the brakes, if they do you have a problem.