dodgy miller comback..... blames UCI for not doing enough....

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by whiteboytrash, Nov 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

The UCI take another beating for there supposed out of competition testing.... looks those who are 'preparing' for the 2006 Tour can sleep easy.....

It's possible to win without doping, Millar confesses

DAVID MILLAR, the former world champion cyclist and Tour de France stage winner who confessed to taking EPO, the prohibited blood-booster, intends to make his comeback in next summer’s Tour, only nine days after his two-year ban ends.
    In a sport where scandals shadow results, Millar’s return will be highly controversial. His life was devastated by his arrest in June 2004. He was sacked by his team, Cofidis, banned for two years, thrown out of the Great Britain squad for the Athens Olympics, stripped of his 2003 World Time Trial Championship and forced to sell his home in France as the scandal surrounding him spiralled beyond control.

“It was terrifying the whole bloody time,” he said. “You’re 27 and you think you’ve got everything and then suddenly you have nothing — in fact, less than nothing. I came back to England and started from scratch. I had to reinvent myself. I had no choice because I’d lost everything.”

Millar’s ban, which ends on June 23 next year, was only the beginning of his problems. “Things kept getting worse, with financial issues and a lot of other escalating worries,” he said. “It was very hard. I think we all deal with those situations and get out of them differently. I had my own way of getting through it and getting my head back above water.

“I lost everything and was punished, but that’s what punishment is. You don’t come out of it easily. The circumstances dictated that I ended up paying a very high price for my errors compared to other people.”

Millar blames his downfall on his youthfulness and naivety — he turned professional at 19 — and his Cofidis team management’s inability to protect him. “I was vulnerable. I was a kid living abroad. I wanted to be liked, I wanted to make them happy,” he said. “I wanted to be French and I wanted to fit in. I had misplaced loyalties and I think they took advantage of that. But I have benefited from the experience in the long term.”

Sacked by his team and pursued by the French taxman and media, Millar, who was born in Hong Kong to Scottish parents, left France and moved to Hayfield, in rural Derbyshire, where he already had a network of friends. “I had a long time off the bike, when I just didn’t even touch it,” he said. “Last summer I started riding again, around the Peak District. I loved it and within a month felt like I was flying. It reminded me that actually I am quite good at it.”

Millar has been vilified by many within the parochial British cycling community and the sight of him training on the sharp climbs of the Peak District stunned other cyclists. “I’d stop, say hello, do a photograph or whatever,” he said. “I was just enjoying it so much.

“But even before that I’d already decided to come back to racing. I had it planned out in my head and I’d never imagined having more than a year off the bike. I’ve had to be much more structured about it because I don’t have any other structure in my life.”

After resolving to make his comeback, negotiations with some potential employers faltered when sponsors backed away from his tainted reputation. Millar has now been thrown a lifeline by Saunier Duval, the Spanish team sponsor, and is poised to sign a contract within days.

Ironically for an athlete who never failed a drugs test — he was caught when a search of his flat by the French drugs squad revealed a cache of EPO — Millar is now a staunch advocate of out-of-competition testing. “The International Cycling Union (UCI) has to instigate more out-of-competition and random testing,” he said. “I’ve hardly heard of any of the boys undergoing random testing by the UCI. So where is all this testing? Random controls are the only way to stop it all.

“By all means test the top Tour favourites, with random tests on a regular basis. Cycling needs those kind of testing tactics — I think that all sport does. The UCI need to get a grip on it. Where is the prevention? Why don’t the UCI publish lists of who they random-test each month and the results, so that we know they’re doing it? It’s the UCI’s responsibility and I don’t think they’re fulfilling that responsibility.”

Despite his Peak District training having been the foundation of his rehabilitation, Millar plans to move to Spain, possibly to Girona, Lance Armstrong’s last European base, in the new year. “Good weather, good roads and a reasonable quality of life are what I’m looking for, but I don’t think I’ll be living in a surfing, partying seaside town again,” he said, mindful of the distractions of his former home in Biarritz.

Millar hopes that his new girlfriend, Nicole, will go with him. “We can live a chilled-out existence and I can focus on training and racing,” he said. “But the good thing is that I will come back to the UK a lot more and spend time there.

“I want my comeback to be credible and inspiring, for me and for others and for younger kids. I owe that to cycling and my friends. I want it to be unquestionable and good to watch. Because it is possible to win without doping.”

This is an abridged version of an interview that will appear in the January issue of procycling magazine.

Tags:

2. Bjorn P.Dal

Bjorn P.Dal New Member

Gotta agree with the old cheat here. I'd like to see hematocrit readings of all riders tested through the season and espesially during the GT's. Pigs will probably fly before I can though.

3. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Millars comeback to the sport is a double edged sword.
    If he doesn't perform they'll say it's because he's clean - if he does perform they'll say he must still be doping.
    He's snookered either way.

But at least he confirms all this nonsense about the regularity of testing - there are no random tests, despite several riders saying that they have been subjected to random tests.

4. bobke

bobke New Member

Yes, not many random tests unless you name is Armstrong who was tested over a couple of dozen times a year.

5. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Are you sure about this ? Can you provide some factual evidence to prove this ? I think you will find he was only tested twice outside of competion last year and once was just after the Tour when he was resting ! We also need to bring into account the $500,000 donation (bribe) he gave to the UCI drug testers which may of given him inside information on when they were coming.

6. thebluetrain

thebluetrain New Member

Are you sure about this? Can you provide some factual evidence to prove this?

7. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Very much my point and that of Mr.Miller ! The UCI don't print or reveal who they test and how many times they test them. Therefore the quote of 'a couple of dozen times' carries little weight. Ask Armstrong how many times he has been tested outside competition ? "I'm the most tested man in the peleton".... yes but how many times outside competition ? "I'm the most tested man in the peleton, read my books", sorry how many times you were you tested ? Oh is this why you left France for Spain ? French cycling have the right to undertaken out of competion testing on all cyclists living in the country. This is how Mr.Miller was caught. The police.

8. liamo

liamo New Member

Well done lads - there were a whole three posts in this thread before we get back to the "We hate Lance"/ "We love Lance" treadmill -

9. bobke

bobke New Member

Good call.

Well I think Miller is a joke, a talented guy, but clearly a head case.
    We'll see how well he does.
    I think he has got plenty of talent, its discipline and mental fortitude that he lacks...like the famous scene when Lance is on a training ride in deep December and calls Miller, who answers his cell phone and he's in a pub drinking, yelling at Lance for training.
    Prophetic...

10. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

There is no doubt that Millar was a talented rider but he dope.

And only for the action of the French police, he would have been able to get away with cheating and none of us would be any the wiser.

I re-read Millars comments in Cycle Sport as the Cofidis scenario was breaking.

"At the January 2004 Cofidis Team presentation, David Millar wearing the world champions winners band on his jersey (ITT) said 'I don't want to comment on this (gaumont affair) - except to say that I have never used drugs, and I am convinced that this controversy doesn't include anyone else in the team. I wish to re-iterate I have never used illegal producsts'.

Compare and contrast that to the statement posted by WBT where Millar discusses doping.

He was probably in denial in January 2004.

11. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Thanks LM; Also note the denial is standard response for all riders caught with there trousers down... ie Hamilton / Armstrong / Virenque.

12. micron

micron New Member

I'd like to see Millar lead by example on this one - offer to be tested out of competition maybe every 6 weeks then print the results on his website, along with those of any in competition tests and his haematocrit each month.

Wouldn't it be great to see more riders taking things into their own hands and being transparent about these issues? Oh, and I think I just saw some pigs fly past my window...

13. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

You mean like Christian Basson's and Filippo Simeoni was ? However Lance told him to shut-up and not talk about it.... now his gone maybe we'll see a different attitude in the peleton...

14. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

I think i hear a treadmill whirring again......................

It would be good to see Millar come back and do well, especially if he offers to be tested regulary and post the results. Then we could see its possible to do well without the drugs.....

15. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

I'd love to see it. In fact I'd like to see UCI give out haematocrit info on all the riders. Then we could all watch what would surely be some interesting ups and downs.

16. GuyStevens

GuyStevens New Member

I'm particularly incensed by Millar's return.

A rider who squirmed until he had no option but to confess, who acts like a martyr by blaming everyone but himself for cheating and who did not have the grace to accept his punishment but rather take British Cycling (and therefore its grassroots members) to court in order to reduce his ban.

What a guy!

17. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

Well not only Millar is/was cheating...

18. MJtje

MJtje New Member

Understatement of the year:D :p .

19. Flyer

Flyer Banned

ccccccccccccccccccccc

20. Flyer

Flyer Banned