Dodgy sales people

Elguapo

Guest
I am not an avid cyclist but have a 7 year old and decent for it's time
Giant Mountain bike. I recently decided to clean up the bike and use it a
bit more often in an effort to regain something that resembles being fit.
One of the first things I replaced were the tires. Out with the knobbies
and in with some slicks. So I went to one of Melbourne's supposedly more
reputable bike shop's in town. I asked the salesman (The Manager I think,
as he wasn't dressed in the stores embroided clothing ) for a recommendation
on tyre. I was pointed to the Michelin wild gripper city at the "special"
price of $46. Fair enough I said. It looked like a quality tyre and was a
reputable brand I had heard of before. I brought 2 as well as a few other
bits and pieces like brake pads etc. Installed the tyres yesterday and for
now I am quite happy with them. I decided I'd have a look what other people
thought of this tyre and did a google search on the web. Low and behold the
web page of the bike shop I purchased these tyres from comes up as one of
the hits. Online they were selling the exact same tyre for $37. Nearly $20
less than what I paid for the 2. I don't know about you but I find this
sort of business practice quite deceitful considering it was the "special"
price he gave me. I am going to go back to the store during my lunch break
tomorrow and ask the store to refund the difference and also let the sales
man know what I think of his practice of higher quoting and claiming that I
was getting the "special" price. Depending on how I go tomorrow I may post
the name of the store so that others can be warned !!

some stores have different prices on the web and in store
cheaper on the web because you dont have to pay for the showroom or the
salesman.

In article <[email protected]>, El-
[email protected] says...
> I am not an avid cyclist but have a 7 year old and decent for it's time
> Giant Mountain bike. I recently decided to clean up the bike and use it a
> bit more often in an effort to regain something that resembles being fit.
> One of the first things I replaced were the tires. Out with the knobbies
> and in with some slicks. So I went to one of Melbourne's supposedly more
> reputable bike shop's in town. I asked the salesman (The Manager I think,
> as he wasn't dressed in the stores embroided clothing ) for a recommendation
> on tyre. I was pointed to the Michelin wild gripper city at the "special"
> price of $46. Fair enough I said. It looked like a quality tyre and was a
> reputable brand I had heard of before. I brought 2 as well as a few other
> bits and pieces like brake pads etc. Installed the tyres yesterday and for
> now I am quite happy with them. I decided I'd have a look what other people
> thought of this tyre and did a google search on the web. Low and behold the
> web page of the bike shop I purchased these tyres from comes up as one of
> the hits. Online they were selling the exact same tyre for $37. Nearly $20
> less than what I paid for the 2. I don't know about you but I find this
> sort of business practice quite deceitful considering it was the "special"
> price he gave me. I am going to go back to the store during my lunch break
> tomorrow and ask the store to refund the difference and also let the sales
> man know what I think of his practice of higher quoting and claiming that I
> was getting the "special" price. Depending on how I go tomorrow I may post
> the name of the store so that others can be warned !!

I concur, there is one shop near work (maybe the same as you are
complaining about) which has an online version of their printed catalog
whose prices are cheaper in said flyer than in store.

This flyer is not internet only specials either.

Sucks big time.

Cheers Ray

"Elguapo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
<Snip>
> thought of this tyre and did a google search on the web. Low and

behold the
> web page of the bike shop I purchased these tyres from comes up as one

of
> the hits. Online they were selling the exact same tyre for $37.

Nearly $20
> less than what I paid for the 2. I don't know about you but I find

this

Okay, it does sound a little bit dodgy but remember that places such as
K-Mart and Target do exactly the same thing. Online prices are usually
cheaper - otherwise, why would people buy stuff that they can't look
at first (the exception being items not available at their LBS).
I wouldn't go in guns blazing anyway.
Curious: Are there laws controlling same store internet versus retail
pricing?

hippy

The only law concerning pricing is whether there is false advertising or
not. Merchants are free to set any price they want, I think its still
free enterprise in Australia.

Most websites I have seen where the company also has a bricks & mortar
store specify on the web page that the prices are for internet
transactions only. Internet prices are market driven too, and is very
competitive, what with cheap overseas websites. I don't think stores
would make much profit if they sold at mail order prices. At least in a
store, you see what you are getting, the salesman can answer your
questions and there is no delay in receiving the goods. I think the
original poster might have forgotten there is $10 or so postage to go on
top of an online purchase. He should stop belly aching.

hippy <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Elguapo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> <Snip>
> > thought of this tyre and did a google search on the web. Low and

> behold the
> > web page of the bike shop I purchased these tyres from comes up as one

> of
> > the hits. Online they were selling the exact same tyre for $37.

> Nearly $20
> > less than what I paid for the 2. I don't know about you but I find

> this
>
> Okay, it does sound a little bit dodgy but remember that places such as
> K-Mart and Target do exactly the same thing. Online prices are usually
> cheaper - otherwise, why would people buy stuff that they can't look
> at first (the exception being items not available at their LBS).
> I wouldn't go in guns blazing anyway.
> Curious: Are there laws controlling same store internet versus retail
> pricing?
>
> hippy

"Elguapo" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I was
> pointed to the Michelin wild gripper city at the "special" price of
> $46. Fair enough I said.

<snip>

Sounds like you're a little peeved that you didn't do your research before
buying, and you're trying to blame the store. The LBS can charge whatever
they like. If you pay it, that's up to you.

After all, if you buy something at a bargain price, you don't then go back
into the store and give them the price you were actually prepared to pay, do
you?

Av.

You're damn right I am peeved. You're right I didn't do my research. And
again you are right if I had got a bargain I wouldn't go back offering to
pay a higher price. However, the goods were not priced in the store. (Not
sure if that's a breach of trade practices law or not). I asked in good
faith the price of the goods. I was told I could have them for the
"special" price of $46. As mentioned I am not a regular rider and as such
aren't that clued up as to average prices etc. As I mentioned in the
original post I would endeavour to go in to the store today to question this
practice. (for the record the web site makes no claim of "internet" only
prices). Well I couldn't make it in so I called them. No result
unfortunately not even willing to hear my case. Obviously this store
thrives on ripping off the un-suspecting. My advice is to walk(er) not run
to this store in future.

Elguapo <[email protected]> wrote:
> You're damn right I am peeved. You're right I didn't do my research. And
> again you are right if I had got a bargain I wouldn't go back offering to
> pay a higher price. However, the goods were not priced in the store. (Not
> sure if that's a breach of trade practices law or not). I asked in good
> faith the price of the goods. I was told I could have them for the
> "special" price of $46. As mentioned I am not a regular rider and as such
> aren't that clued up as to average prices etc. As I mentioned in the
> original post I would endeavour to go in to the store today to question this
> practice. (for the record the web site makes no claim of "internet" only
> prices). Well I couldn't make it in so I called them. No result
> unfortunately not even willing to hear my case. Obviously this store
> thrives on ripping off the un-suspecting. My advice is to walk(er) not run
> to this store in future.

I've had many experiences with CW over teh years, some good and some not so
good, but I can't believe they were "unwilling to hear' your case. What do
you mean by that?

Did you tell them about the difference in price and ask them why it was
the case? AFAIK, their prices are not dependent on in-store or online. At
least, not when I've ever been there.

Everyone makes mistakes so the least you can do is give them the opportunity
to make things right before you **** them off publicly.

At least you've learnt that it's worth doing some research/shopping around.

--
Nick

You will not in my original thread I mentioned that I wouldn't post the name
until I had gone back to speak to them. I did and the reception I got was
one of "buyer beware". In fact in the phone call , in which i was not
agressive in any way, I merely stated I was disappointed with the service
and that it seemed very misleading that a sales man would coerce me to
believe the price I was paying was a very good price when in fact it was
not. The salesman also had to tell the cashier that the price on the tyres
was a "special" at $46 so I wonder if they weren't in the system at a
cheaper price to start with.

I am not usually a complaining person but when I was a kid working in retail
I recall the saying...a person who has a bad experience will tell 5 times as
many people as a person who has a good experience.

All said and done am I ****** off, yes. Will I shop there agian, don't
know. Would a simple apology and a clear published documented policy on
their internet v shopfront pricing sufficed. Definately!!

Elguapo <[email protected]> wrote:
> You will not in my original thread I mentioned that I wouldn't post the name
> until I had gone back to speak to them. I did and the reception I got was
> one of "buyer beware". In fact in the phone call , in which i was not
> agressive in any way, I merely stated I was disappointed with the service
> and that it seemed very misleading that a sales man would coerce me to
> believe the price I was paying was a very good price when in fact it was
> not. The salesman also had to tell the cashier that the price on the tyres
> was a "special" at $46 so I wonder if they weren't in the system at a
> cheaper price to start with.

> I am not usually a complaining person but when I was a kid working in retail
> I recall the saying...a person who has a bad experience will tell 5 times as
> many people as a person who has a good experience.

> All said and done am I ****** off, yes. Will I shop there agian, don't
> know. Would a simple apology and a clear published documented policy on
> their internet v shopfront pricing sufficed. Definately!!

Fair enough. I don't disbelieve you. I just can't believe that they would
go out of their way to charge you more in such an opportunistic way,
especially for the sake of ~$20. Even more so since they've been in the
business for so many years.

Anyway, good luck and let us know what happens.

--
Nick

"Elguapo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> You're damn right I am peeved. You're right I didn't do my research. And
> again you are right if I had got a bargain I wouldn't go back offering to
> pay a higher price. However, the goods were not priced in the store. (Not
> sure if that's a breach of trade practices law or not). I asked in good
> faith the price of the goods. I was told I could have them for the
> "special" price of $46. As mentioned I am not a regular rider and as such
> aren't that clued up as to average prices etc. As I mentioned in the
> original post I would endeavour to go in to the store today to question this
> practice. (for the record the web site makes no claim of "internet" only
> prices). Well I couldn't make it in so I called them. No result
> unfortunately not even willing to hear my case. Obviously this store
> thrives on ripping off the un-suspecting. My advice is to walk(er) not run
> to this store in future.

Why can't you just come out and name the store ? Why do you need to
"hide" it ? It's the only power a peeved customer has is to not
reccomend the store.

I use Cecil Walker often, but you can get cheaper on some items, if
you shop around, which you didn't.