Dodgy sales people

Elguapo

Guest
I am not an avid cyclist but have a 7 year old and decent for it's time Giant Mountain bike. I
recently decided to clean up the bike and use it a bit more often in an effort to regain something
that resembles being fit. One of the first things I replaced were the tires. Out with the knobbies
and in with some slicks. So I went to one of Melbourne's supposedly more reputable bike shop's in
town. I asked the salesman (The Manager I think, as he wasn't dressed in the stores embroided
clothing ) for a recommendation on tyre. I was pointed to the Michelin wild gripper city at the
"special" price of $46. Fair enough I said. It looked like a quality tyre and was a reputable brand
I had heard of before. I brought 2 as well as a few other bits and pieces like brake pads etc.
Installed the tyres yesterday and for now I am quite happy with them. I decided I'd have a look what
other people thought of this tyre and did a google search on the web. Low and behold the web page of
the bike shop I purchased these tyres from comes up as one of the hits. Online they were selling the
exact same tyre for $37. Nearly $20 less than what I paid for the 2. I don't know about you but I
find this sort of business practice quite deceitful considering it was the "special" price he gave
me. I am going to go back to the store during my lunch break tomorrow and ask the store to refund
the difference and also let the sales man know what I think of his practice of higher quoting and
claiming that I was getting the "special" price. Depending on how I go tomorrow I may post the name
of the store so that others can be warned !!

some stores have different prices on the web and in store cheaper on the web because you dont have
to pay for the showroom or the salesman.

In article <[email protected]>, El- [email protected] says...
> I am not an avid cyclist but have a 7 year old and decent for it's time Giant Mountain bike. I
> recently decided to clean up the bike and use it a bit more often in an effort to regain something
> that resembles being fit. One of the first things I replaced were the tires. Out with the knobbies
> and in with some slicks. So I went to one of Melbourne's supposedly more reputable bike shop's in
> town. I asked the salesman (The Manager I think, as he wasn't dressed in the stores embroided
> clothing ) for a recommendation on tyre. I was pointed to the Michelin wild gripper city at the
> "special" price of $46. Fair enough I said. It looked like a quality tyre and was a reputable
> brand I had heard of before. I brought 2 as well as a few other bits and pieces like brake pads
> etc. Installed the tyres yesterday and for now I am quite happy with them. I decided I'd have a
> look what other people thought of this tyre and did a google search on the web. Low and behold the
> web page of the bike shop I purchased these tyres from comes up as one of the hits. Online they
> were selling the exact same tyre for $37. Nearly $20 less than what I paid for the 2. I don't know
> about you but I find this sort of business practice quite deceitful considering it was the
> "special" price he gave me. I am going to go back to the store during my lunch break tomorrow and
> ask the store to refund the difference and also let the sales man know what I think of his
> practice of higher quoting and claiming that I was getting the "special" price. Depending on how I
> go tomorrow I may post the name of the store so that others can be warned !!

I concur, there is one shop near work (maybe the same as you are complaining about) which has an
online version of their printed catalog whose prices are cheaper in said flyer than in store.

This flyer is not internet only specials either.

Sucks big time.

Cheers Ray

"Elguapo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <Snip>
> thought of this tyre and did a google search on the web. Low and
behold the
> web page of the bike shop I purchased these tyres from comes up as one
of
> the hits. Online they were selling the exact same tyre for $37.
Nearly $20
> less than what I paid for the 2. I don't know about you but I find
this

Okay, it does sound a little bit dodgy but remember that places such as K-Mart and Target do exactly
the same thing. Online prices are usually cheaper - otherwise, why would people buy stuff that they
can't look at first (the exception being items not available at their LBS). I wouldn't go in guns
blazing anyway. Curious: Are there laws controlling same store internet versus retail pricing?

hippy

The only law concerning pricing is whether there is false advertising or not. Merchants are free to
set any price they want, I think its still free enterprise in Australia.

Most websites I have seen where the company also has a bricks & mortar store specify on the web page
that the prices are for internet transactions only. Internet prices are market driven too, and is
very competitive, what with cheap overseas websites. I don't think stores would make much profit if
they sold at mail order prices. At least in a store, you see what you are getting, the salesman can
answer your questions and there is no delay in receiving the goods. I think the original poster
might have forgotten there is $10 or so postage to go on top of an online purchase. He should stop
belly aching.

hippy <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Elguapo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... <Snip>
> > thought of this tyre and did a google search on the web. Low and
> behold the
> > web page of the bike shop I purchased these tyres from comes up as one
> of
> > the hits. Online they were selling the exact same tyre for $37.
> Nearly $20
> > less than what I paid for the 2. I don't know about you but I find
> this
>
> Okay, it does sound a little bit dodgy but remember that places such as K-Mart and Target do
> exactly the same thing. Online prices are usually cheaper - otherwise, why would people buy stuff
> that they can't look at first (the exception being items not available at their LBS). I wouldn't
> go in guns blazing anyway. Curious: Are there laws controlling same store internet versus retail
> pricing?
>
> hippy

"Elguapo" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I was pointed to the Michelin wild gripper city at the "special" price of $46. Fair enough I said.

<snip>

Sounds like you're a little peeved that you didn't do your research before buying, and you're trying
to blame the store. The LBS can charge whatever they like. If you pay it, that's up to you.

After all, if you buy something at a bargain price, you don't then go back into the store and give
them the price you were actually prepared to pay, do you?

Av.

You're damn right I am peeved. You're right I didn't do my research. And again you are right if I
had got a bargain I wouldn't go back offering to pay a higher price. However, the goods were not
priced in the store. (Not sure if that's a breach of trade practices law or not). I asked in good
faith the price of the goods. I was told I could have them for the "special" price of $46. As
mentioned I am not a regular rider and as such aren't that clued up as to average prices etc. As I
mentioned in the original post I would endeavour to go in to the store today to question this
practice. (for the record the web site makes no claim of "internet" only prices). Well I couldn't
make it in so I called them. No result unfortunately not even willing to hear my case. Obviously
this store thrives on ripping off the un-suspecting. My advice is to walk(er) not run to this store
in future.

Elguapo <[email protected]> wrote:
> You're damn right I am peeved. You're right I didn't do my research. And again you are right if I
> had got a bargain I wouldn't go back offering to pay a higher price. However, the goods were not
> priced in the store. (Not sure if that's a breach of trade practices law or not). I asked in good
> faith the price of the goods. I was told I could have them for the "special" price of $46. As
> mentioned I am not a regular rider and as such aren't that clued up as to average prices etc. As I
> mentioned in the original post I would endeavour to go in to the store today to question this
> practice. (for the record the web site makes no claim of "internet" only prices). Well I couldn't
> make it in so I called them. No result unfortunately not even willing to hear my case. Obviously
> this store thrives on ripping off the un-suspecting. My advice is to walk(er) not run to this
> store in future.

I've had many experiences with CW over teh years, some good and some not so good, but I can't
believe they were "unwilling to hear' your case. What do you mean by that?

Did you tell them about the difference in price and ask them why it was the case? AFAIK, their
prices are not dependent on in-store or online. At least, not when I've ever been there.

Everyone makes mistakes so the least you can do is give them the opportunity to make things right
before you **** them off publicly.

At least you've learnt that it's worth doing some research/shopping around.

--
Nick

You will not in my original thread I mentioned that I wouldn't post the name until I had gone back
to speak to them. I did and the reception I got was one of "buyer beware". In fact in the phone call
, in which i was not agressive in any way, I merely stated I was disappointed with the service and
that it seemed very misleading that a sales man would coerce me to believe the price I was paying
was a very good price when in fact it was not. The salesman also had to tell the cashier that the
price on the tyres was a "special" at $46 so I wonder if they weren't in the system at a cheaper
price to start with.

I am not usually a complaining person but when I was a kid working in retail I recall the saying...a
person who has a bad experience will tell 5 times as many people as a person who has a good
experience.

All said and done am I ****** off, yes. Will I shop there agian, don't know. Would a simple apology
and a clear published documented policy on their internet v shopfront pricing sufficed. Definately!!

Elguapo <[email protected]> wrote:
> You will not in my original thread I mentioned that I wouldn't post the name until I had gone back
> to speak to them. I did and the reception I got was one of "buyer beware". In fact in the phone
> call , in which i was not agressive in any way, I merely stated I was disappointed with the
> service and that it seemed very misleading that a sales man would coerce me to believe the price I
> was paying was a very good price when in fact it was not. The salesman also had to tell the
> cashier that the price on the tyres was a "special" at $46 so I wonder if they weren't in the
> system at a cheaper price to start with.

> I am not usually a complaining person but when I was a kid working in retail I recall the
> saying...a person who has a bad experience will tell 5 times as many people as a person who has a
> good experience.

> All said and done am I ****** off, yes. Will I shop there agian, don't know. Would a simple
> apology and a clear published documented policy on their internet v shopfront pricing sufficed.
> Definately!!

Fair enough. I don't disbelieve you. I just can't believe that they would go out of their way to
charge you more in such an opportunistic way, especially for the sake of ~$20. Even more so since
they've been in the business for so many years.

Anyway, good luck and let us know what happens.

--
Nick

"Elguapo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> You're damn right I am peeved. You're right I didn't do my research. And again you are right if I
> had got a bargain I wouldn't go back offering to pay a higher price. However, the goods were not
> priced in the store. (Not sure if that's a breach of trade practices law or not). I asked in good
> faith the price of the goods. I was told I could have them for the "special" price of $46. As
> mentioned I am not a regular rider and as such aren't that clued up as to average prices etc. As I
> mentioned in the original post I would endeavour to go in to the store today to question this
> practice. (for the record the web site makes no claim of "internet" only prices). Well I couldn't
> make it in so I called them. No result unfortunately not even willing to hear my case. Obviously
> this store thrives on ripping off the un-suspecting. My advice is to walk(er) not run to this
> store in future.

Why can't you just come out and name the store ? Why do you need to "hide" it ? It's the only power
a peeved customer has is to not reccomend the store.

I use Cecil Walker often, but you can get cheaper on some items, if you shop around, which
you didn't.