Dodgy shifting

Paul J

Apr 10, 2003
Can an out-of-true rear wheel effect shifting performance?
I've tried adjusting cable tension each way with no real improvement, but I know for sure that my rear wheel is out of whack a bit (gonna get it done this week). It's been a year (8000km) since it was last done.

I wouldn't think so, as long as the hub and cassette etc. is straight it should be ok ?

It could be the shifter cables are getting natty, or the insides of the cable housings were dirty. After about 7000km my road bike refused to shift quite 100% until I cleaned out the housing and replaced the cable.

Thanks,

I took the rear derailer apart and serviced it on the weekend and in the process cleaned out the cable housing. The cable should be fine as I only just replaced it about 2000km ago and it still looks new. Shifting hasn't improved much but then i've only had the bike in the stand and haven't exactly test ridden it. I'm still going to get the wheels trued anyhow and see if that makes any improvement.

>
Originally posted by rek
>I wouldn't think so, as long as the hub and cassette etc. is >straight it should be ok ?

>It could be the shifter cables are getting natty, or the insides of >the cable housings were dirty. After about 7000km my road bike >refused to shift quite 100% until I cleaned out the housing and >replaced the cable.

an out-of-true wheel should not impact shifting performance. only thing that comes to mind is if the spokes are so out of whack that they may contact the RD when in the largest cog.

the frame alignment and derailleur hanger alignment can impact shifting, though.

Originally posted by Paul J
Thanks,

I took the rear derailer apart and serviced it on the weekend ......

>
Why?. Sure you got the pulleys back in the right places?

Thanks,

I'm still going to get the wheels trued anyhow and see if that makes any improvement.

>
Why? Wheel true has nothing to do with it.

Originally posted by boudreaux
Why? Wheel true has nothing to do with it.

Because the wheels need staightening. They're obviously a little wobbly when looking down at them going around. This is a different issue. I just thought the two may be connected in some way. I think now that I've got the bike back together I should take it for a ride for a true indication of performance.

Because the wheels need staightening. They're obviously a little wobbly when looking down at them going around. This is a different issue. I just thought the two may be connected in some way. I think now that I've got the bike back together I should take it for a ride for a true indication of performance.
True the wheels because they need it, not to cure bad shifting.

If the wheel is whacked because of a bent axle it possibly could affect shifting becacause it makes the cassette wobble as it goes around. Otherwise it shouldn't have any effect.