Dodgy trailer?

mikef

Guest
I've been trying to get my head round the 'low loader' trailer here:
<http://www.bikecare.co.uk/cargotrail.html>.

It's got a rear skewer fitting (like a Bob Yak) but it's got two
wheels. Can anyone suggest what happens when the bike leans? I can see
it might work on an even road with a tadpole trike but the description
says it's designed to fit any bike.

Am I missing something?

Cheers,
Mike

In article <7ce6655a-9793-4594-8d2f-ee95ccb7cf38
@j20g2000hsi.googlegroups.com>, mikef
[email protected] says...
> I've been trying to get my head round the 'low loader' trailer here:
> <http://www.bikecare.co.uk/cargotrail.html>.
>
> It's got a rear skewer fitting (like a Bob Yak) but it's got two
> wheels. Can anyone suggest what happens when the bike leans? I can see
> it might work on an even road with a tadpole trike but the description
> says it's designed to fit any bike.
>
> Am I missing something?

It does look all wrong, doesn't it?

"Rob Morley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <7ce6655a-9793-4594-8d2f-ee95ccb7cf38
> @j20g2000hsi.googlegroups.com>, mikef
> [email protected] says...
>> I've been trying to get my head round the 'low loader' trailer here:
>> <http://www.bikecare.co.uk/cargotrail.html>.
>>
>> It's got a rear skewer fitting (like a Bob Yak) but it's got two
>> wheels. Can anyone suggest what happens when the bike leans? I can see
>> it might work on an even road with a tadpole trike but the description
>> says it's designed to fit any bike.
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>>

> It does look all wrong, doesn't it?

The description doesn't match the pictures - "Foldable sides", "Not single
as pictured". I'm wondering if somebody's just photoshopped a picture of the
old one to get the big picture with the wheels on the sides.

cheers,
clive

On Jan 9, 12:03 pm, "Clive George" wrote:
> The description doesn't match the pictures - "Foldable sides", "Not single
> as pictured". I'm wondering if somebody's just photoshopped a picture of the
> old one to get the big picture with the wheels on the sides.

Could be, although a picture of them side-by-side suggests maybe not:
http://www.bikedock.com/posit/images/products/0000014128.jpg

The 'foldable sides' bit appears to be nonsense.

Thanks for confirming I'm not being totally daft!

Cheers,
Mike

mikef said the following on 09/01/2008 11:33:
> I've been trying to get my head round the 'low loader' trailer here:
> <http://www.bikecare.co.uk/cargotrail.html>.
>
> It's got a rear skewer fitting (like a Bob Yak) but it's got two
> wheels. Can anyone suggest what happens when the bike leans? I can see
> it might work on an even road with a tadpole trike but the description
> says it's designed to fit any bike.
>
> Am I missing something?

If you are, then so am I! It used to be single-wheeled, but they've
"upgraded" it to two wheels. I wonder if it's as simple as somebody not
thinking about what they were doing? You could always ask them how the
bike/trailer combo corners.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

mikef wrote:
> I've been trying to get my head round the 'low loader' trailer here:
> <http://www.bikecare.co.uk/cargotrail.html>.
>
> It's got a rear skewer fitting (like a Bob Yak) but it's got two
> wheels. Can anyone suggest what happens when the bike leans? I can see
> it might work on an even road with a tadpole trike but the description
> says it's designed to fit any bike.
>
> Am I missing something?

Could try emailing the manufacturers. info at missioncycles co uk

"Martin Dann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> mikef wrote:
>> I've been trying to get my head round the 'low loader' trailer here:
>> <http://www.bikecare.co.uk/cargotrail.html>.
>>
>> It's got a rear skewer fitting (like a Bob Yak) but it's got two
>> wheels. Can anyone suggest what happens when the bike leans? I can see
>> it might work on an even road with a tadpole trike but the description
>> says it's designed to fit any bike.
>>
>> Am I missing something?

> Could try emailing the manufacturers. info at missioncycles co uk

The one on their website looks as described - foldable sides, two wheels.
And has the type of mount you'd expect for a two-wheeler.

cheers,
clive

On 09/01/2008 15:13, Clive George said,

> The one on their website looks as described - foldable sides, two
> wheels. And has the type of mount you'd expect for a two-wheeler.

Which one are you looking at? The Low Loader Trailer can't tilt with
the bike.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

"Paul Boyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 09/01/2008 15:13, Clive George said,
>
>> The one on their website looks as described - foldable sides, two wheels.
>> And has the type of mount you'd expect for a two-wheeler.

> Which one are you looking at? The Low Loader Trailer can't tilt with the
> bike.

You're talking about the original site mentioned in this thread,

Martin Dann then said:

> Could try emailing the manufacturers. info at missioncycles co uk

Which is the website I'm talking about. There's only one trailer there which
fits the description of the cargotrail, and it's sensible.

cheers,
clive

Paul Boyd wrote:
> On 09/01/2008 15:13, Clive George said,
>
>> The one on their website looks as described - foldable sides, two
>> wheels. And has the type of mount you'd expect for a two-wheeler.

> Which one are you looking at? The Low Loader Trailer can't tilt with
> the bike.

I wandered along the thread thinking its a "mission" trailer, but I now
think one of the retailers has mis-named the maker.

I am unsure who makes the two-wheeled "Low Loader Trailer" which won't steer
on a bicycle.

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

On 09/01/2008 18:39, Clive George said,

> You're talking about the original site mentioned in this thread,
> http://www.bikecare.co.uk/cargotrail.html
>
> Martin Dann then said:
>
>> Could try emailing the manufacturers. info at missioncycles co uk

> Which is the website I'm talking about. There's only one trailer there
> which fits the description of the cargotrail, and it's sensible.

Ah, right, I think :) But how did Martin get the manufacturer as being
Mission Cycles? The only link I can see is that Mission Cycles make a
trailer called Cargo Trailer, and BikeCare use the term cargo trailers
in a generic way and the appropriate page is called cargotrail.html.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Nigel Cliffe wrote:
> Paul Boyd wrote:
>> On 09/01/2008 15:13, Clive George said,
>>
>>> The one on their website looks as described - foldable sides, two
>>> wheels. And has the type of mount you'd expect for a two-wheeler.

>> Which one are you looking at? The Low Loader Trailer can't tilt with
>> the bike.

> I wandered along the thread thinking its a "mission" trailer, but I now
> think one of the retailers has mis-named the maker.
>
> I am unsure who makes the two-wheeled "Low Loader Trailer" which won't steer
> on a bicycle.

According to [1] the single wheeled version is the mission low loader.
According to [2] there is a mission low loader, and they give the
contact details for mission cycles.
However I cannot find the mission low loader on mission cycles web site.

Also according to [2] the mission low loader looks identical to the
T-W-Bents Convenience [3].

btw [2] is a list of bike trailers.

[1]
http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/110214.html
ATC: Low Loader Cargo Trailer - Mission - Trailers - Accessories
[2]
http://www.atob.org.uk/trailer_price_tag.html
Bicycle Luggage Trailers and Child Carriers Compared
[3a] en francaise
http://www.expemag.com/materiel-voyage-nature/convenience-i-tw-bents.html
Remorque à vélo Convenience-I de TW-Bents - Carnets d'Aventures
[3b] website of twbents
http://www.twbents.com.tw/HTM/partner-ii.htm
Alloy foldable bike trailer part

Martin Dann wrote:
> Nigel Cliffe wrote:
>> Paul Boyd wrote:
>>> On 09/01/2008 15:13, Clive George said,

>>> Which one are you looking at? The Low Loader Trailer can't tilt with
>>> the bike.

>> I wandered along the thread thinking its a "mission" trailer, but I
>> now think one of the retailers has mis-named the maker.
>>
>> I am unsure who makes the two-wheeled "Low Loader Trailer" which won't
>> steer on a bicycle.

I wonder if the picture is a mock up of a two wheel trailer, with a one
wheeler attachment.

> According to [1] the single wheeled version is the mission low loader.
> According to [2] there is a mission low loader, and they give the
> contact details for mission cycles.
> However I cannot find the mission low loader on mission cycles web site.
>
> Also according to [2] the mission low loader looks identical to the
> T-W-Bents Convenience [3].

Looking at the TW bents website shows that their version might have a
swivel joint, that is not apparent on the trailer the OP posted about.

[3] is a link to TW's two wheel trailer, not the one wheeler.

Martin Dann wrote:
> Martin Dann wrote:
>> Nigel Cliffe wrote:

>>> I wandered along the thread thinking its a "mission" trailer, but I
>>> now think one of the retailers has mis-named the maker.
>>>
>>> I am unsure who makes the two-wheeled "Low Loader Trailer" which
>>> won't steer on a bicycle.

> I wonder if the picture is a mock up of a two wheel trailer, with a
> one wheeler attachment.
>
>> According to [1] the single wheeled version is the mission low
>> loader. According to [2] there is a mission low loader, and they
>> give the contact details for mission cycles.
>> However I cannot find the mission low loader on mission cycles web
>> site. Also according to [2] the mission low loader looks identical to the
>> T-W-Bents Convenience [3].

> Looking at the TW bents website shows that their version might have a
> swivel joint, that is not apparent on the trailer the OP posted about.

Clearly has a swivel joint if you look at the instruction manuals on the TW
Bents website.

- Nigel

--

On Jan 9, 2:59 pm, Martin Dann wrote:
> Could try emailing the manufacturers. info at missioncycles co uk

The two-wheeled trailer's listed here as a Mission one:
http://www.bikedock.com/posit/shop/index.php?category=33&group=13
(big difference in price from bikecare btw).

I've e-mailed Mission to see if it's they can shed any light on it.

I also e-mailed bikecare and had a reply to the effect that it's
hinged which allows it to go round corners - duh.

MikeF

In article <6c521e8c-2445-433c-a195-133466e11162
@l32g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, mikef
[email protected] says...
> On Jan 9, 12:03 pm, "Clive George" wrote:
> > The description doesn't match the pictures - "Foldable sides", "Not single
> > as pictured". I'm wondering if somebody's just photoshopped a picture of the
> > old one to get the big picture with the wheels on the sides.

> Could be, although a picture of them side-by-side suggests maybe not:
> http://www.bikedock.com/posit/images/products/0000014128.jpg
>
> The 'foldable sides' bit appears to be nonsense.

The uprights are hinged, so the top loop drops down to the base. As
Martin pointed out lower down the thread, it looks very much like a TW-
Bents Partner-II, which actually has a swivel joint between the vertical
hinge and the trailer body:

http://www.rebel-cycles.com/access_pics/trailer_gallery/trailer_arm.jpg

I wonder if the one in the picture you posted was a pre-production
mockup or if they really tried to sell them like that.