Does a "better" bike really help?

Scott'sTrek1000

Jul 28, 2004
I have a Trek 1000 (2004) and just started riding about 6 months ago. A buddy of mine has a $3000 Giant and has been riding less time than me. We both are in about the same fitness, overall. In fact, I'm carrying less fat than him. Another buddy of mine has a $3000 Abici (and has been riding a little less time than me and is carrying more fat than me). What sucks is that they are both faster than me. Is it the difference in bikes (mine versus theirs) or something else? Does having a better, more expensive bike help? That's the question.

Thanks

at some point, the bottom line is that a bike.. is a bike. It might be different if you were riding a 50 lb. monster vs. their 15 lb. gazelle, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Basic bike design is relatively simple, you have to turn the cranks to go. How much harder/easier do you really think that can be on one bike vs. another?

John

Scott'sTrek1000 said:
I have a Trek 1000 (2004) and just started riding about 6 months ago. A buddy of mine has a $3000 Giant and has been riding less time than me. We both are in about the same fitness, overall. In fact, I'm carrying less fat than him. Another buddy of mine has a $3000 Abici (and has been riding a little less time than me and is carrying more fat than me). What sucks is that they are both faster than me. Is it the difference in bikes (mine versus theirs) or something else? Does having a better, more expensive bike help? That's the question.

Thanks
Spend $5000 and you will still suck.There is no bigger laugh than a poseur' on a $5000 bike that sucks.

boudreaux said:
Spend $5000 and you will still suck.There is no bigger laugh than a poseur' on a $5000 bike that sucks.
lol... you managed to get the point across a lot quicker than I did

Spend what you want on a new bike. If a lighter more expensive bike motivates you to train harder to achieve your goals then it's a good investment.

As to going faster, it's the engine that counts. The bike by itself contributes only marginal advantages.

Scott'sTrek1000 said:

Thanks
That old wives tale about "it's the engine" is partially BS. I have been riding for 5 months. A month ago, I upgraded to a Roubaix Pro with all Dura-Ace, and a weight about 8 pounds lighter. I immediately started taking people on hills and outsprinting people that had a slight edge on me previously. Upgrade, and you will see a noticeable difference. Plus, there is nothing like having a sweet bike under you!

skydive69 said:
That old wives tale about "it's the engine" is partially BS. I have been riding for 5 months. A month ago, I upgraded to a Roubaix Pro with all Dura-Ace, and a weight about 8 pounds lighter. I immediately started taking people on hills and outsprinting people that had a slight edge on me previously. Upgrade, and you will see a noticeable difference. Plus, there is nothing like having a sweet bike under you!

Sure, but losing 8 pounds of weight is a big drop in bike weight. It's worth about 4% improvement on hills. If you could climb your favorite steep hill at 10 mph before, you should be able to go up at 10.4 mph with the same power output. That's enough of a slight edge to notice racing a buddy...but remember strong guys on touring bikes can still blow by you.

Plus, I think the "new bike syndrome" you mention has a definite effect. You're stoked on your new bike, and as result can work harder with less pain.

All this is only a one-shot improvement of course. Now that you've got the good equipment, it's time to start checking the Training forums.

dhk said:
Sure, but losing 8 pounds of weight is a big drop in bike weight. It's worth about 4% improvement on hills. If you could climb your favorite steep hill at 10 mph before, you should be able to go up at 10.4 mph with the same power output. That's enough of a slight edge to notice racing a buddy...but remember strong guys on touring bikes can still blow by you.

Plus, I think the "new bike syndrome" you mention has a definite effect. You're stoked on your new bike, and as result can work harder with less pain.

All this is only a one-shot improvement of course. Now that you've got the good equipment, it's time to start checking the Training forums.
I don't know, I climbed the steep part of the Friendship Bridge In St. Pete FL at 22 mph (into the wind) this morning, couldn't break 20 on that grade before. I am regularly cranking along in the mid 20's with a low heart rate - couldn't do that before. From my personal experience, a high-end bike makes a hell of a difference over a reaonably good road bike. I went BTW, from a Specialized Sequoia Elite to the Roubaix Pro. I wish I would have known from the start that I was going to become a bike nut - I would have started with the Pro!

If those aforementioned guys do blow by me, they will have to shoot me to get me off their wheel! :D

skydive69 said:
I don't know, I climbed the steep part of the Friendship Bridge In St. Pete FL at 22 mph (into the wind) this morning, couldn't break 20 on that grade before. I am regularly cranking along in the mid 20's with a low heart rate - couldn't do that before. From my personal experience, a high-end bike makes a hell of a difference over a reaonably good road bike. I went BTW, from a Specialized Sequoia Elite to the Roubaix Pro. I wish I would have known from the start that I was going to become a bike nut - I would have started with the Pro!

If those aforementioned guys do blow by me, they will have to shoot me to get me off their wheel! :D
While true that your new Roubaix Pro (sweet bike, by the way) does contribute to your being able to go a little faster, you are also probably more fit than you were a few months ago. As I recall from another thread you had taken up cycling not too long ago. Gains can come pretty quickly at first. I gained approx 2 MPH between spring and late summer.

Also, the temperature in St. Pete is probably a little more cycling friendly this time of year than it was when you were riding your Sequoia Elite (same bike I own). My parents have a condo in Clearwater where I love to vacation so I know that summer is very hot and balmy there. That will contribute to a higher heart rate at the same power output.

Doctor Morbius said:
While true that your new Roubaix Pro (sweet bike, by the way) does contribute to your being able to go a little faster, you are also probably more fit than you were a few months ago. As I recall from another thread you had taken up cycling not too long ago. Gains can come pretty quickly at first. I gained approx 2 MPH between spring and late summer.

Also, the temperature in St. Pete is probably a little more cycling friendly this time of year than it was when you were riding your Sequoia Elite (same bike I own). My parents have a condo in Clearwater where I love to vacation so I know that summer is very hot and balmy there. That will contribute to a higher heart rate at the same power output.
Progress has been excitingly quick in that I have lots of time to train. I did notice quite a difference however between two consecutive Saturdays riding with the same group during fast pace riding and the couple of sprints in the sprinting zone.

You will have to ride with the St. Pete Bicycle Club when you come to vacation if you are able to bring your machine. There are great rides virtually everyday to suit the needs of the recreational rider to some of the very high level competitors in the area.

I know you must love your Sequoia. I love mine so much, I didn't sell it when I purchased the Roubaix. I keep the Sequoia in Orlando for my Tuesday ride, and my Roubaix in St. Pete for my Wed, Thurs, Sat & Sun rides.

skydive69 said:
I am regularly cranking along in the mid 20's with a low heart rate - couldn't do that before.
Weight is relatively meaningless once you are up to speed and 'cranking long', assuming it's somewhat flat.

skydive: Your progress sounds like more than the equipment....which is great. Wish I could crank along in 20's with a low HR.

But isn't the Sequoia an upright-type bike? Your position on the bike (aero tuck vs. upright) could account for much of that 2 mph difference going into a headwind also.

dhk said:
skydive: Your progress sounds like more than the equipment....which is great. Wish I could crank along in 20's with a low HR.

But isn't the Sequoia an upright-type bike? Your position on the bike (aero tuck vs. upright) could account for much of that 2 mph difference going into a headwind also.
Yes, it is very upright. I test rode bikes like the Scott CR1, but it was too aggressive for me. The Roubaix is not quite as aggressive a riding position as most of the upper level bikes, but I took it a step farther. I shortened the stem from 120 to 100 MM and put some rise on it.

I am genetically blessed with a great cardiovascular system - I have won some national master's titles in running, and I have been squatting my butt off for years, so I have good leg strength. I guess that has really helped the progress. Also, I have fallen in love with cycling. I hated all the years I ran every day - sometimes twice a day to simply win races. I love every pedal stroke of cycling!

boudreaux said:
Weight is relatively meaningless once you are up to speed and 'cranking long', assuming it's somewhat flat.
The opposite is also true. Weight is important such as acceleration in a sprint or getting a great jump going up the hill. What is a significent difference in the bikes however, is the difference in rolling resistance between great wheels, a great, lighter drive train (and of course I had to go with titanium pedals). I have never thought dead weight made a hell of a lot of difference, but the rolling resistance difference is amazing. When I accelerate that wonderful Roubaix, I have to hold on - the bike wants to get going, and get going now!

skydive69 said:
........... (and of course I had to go with titanium pedals).
Yeah, that's it.Just the material combination of CF and Ti is good for at least 2mph or you got a big hosing for your $$.

boudreaux said:
Yeah, that's it.Just the material combination of CF and Ti is good for at least 2mph or you got a big hosing for your $$.
Hey, it's only money. No hosing - just lots of fun and pleasure. :D 2 MPH AAMOF is what I seemed to have bought with the upgrade.

skydive69 said:
Progress has been excitingly quick in that I have lots of time to train. I did notice quite a difference however between two consecutive Saturdays riding with the same group during fast pace riding and the couple of sprints in the sprinting zone.

You will have to ride with the St. Pete Bicycle Club when you come to vacation if you are able to bring your machine. There are great rides virtually everyday to suit the needs of the recreational rider to some of the very high level competitors in the area.

I know you must love your Sequoia. I love mine so much, I didn't sell it when I purchased the Roubaix. I keep the Sequoia in Orlando for my Tuesday ride, and my Roubaix in St. Pete for my Wed, Thurs, Sat & Sun rides.
Honestly, I don't think I could keep up! My best speed for a 1/2 century is 17.0 MPH. No way I could do mid-twenties. I'd have to be drafting behind a semi and going down hill!

Yes I do love the Sequoia. For years the only type of bike I've ridden has been an MTB because of its more upright position. I have a bad lower back (Spondylolisthesis, same as Lance) and can't begin to get in an aero position. I'm also thick waisted (code word for fat). I test rode a few road bikes - Treks, Specialized Allez, Felt, etc. - but they were all too aggressive for my back. When I hopped on the Sequoia it was as if it was custom built just for me! It's perfect.

skydive69 said:
Yes, it is very upright. I test rode bikes like the Scott CR1, but it was too aggressive for me. The Roubaix is not quite as aggressive a riding position as most of the upper level bikes, but I took it a step farther. I shortened the stem from 120 to 100 MM and put some rise on it.

I am genetically blessed with a great cardiovascular system - I have won some national master's titles in running, and I have been squatting my butt off for years, so I have good leg strength. I guess that has really helped the progress. Also, I have fallen in love with cycling. I hated all the years I ran every day - sometimes twice a day to simply win races. I love every pedal stroke of cycling!

Well, you've got a great cardio motor already, no wonder you're seeing fast progress on the bike. Good you made changes for comfort also....that's more important than trying to look like a pro rider.

As you get more comfortable on the road bike, you might find your back gets flatter and you want to go back to the longer stem with less rise.

Skydive69

I notice the roubaix pro is a reynolds 853 frame. I am seriously considering getting a custom 853 frame soon and wondered what you think of the frame on your roubaix?- handling, stiffness, comfort etc?

Also, is it really 8lb lighter than your last bike? I guess the dura ace components help but what is the overall weight of the bike and do you know what the frame weighs in at?

Cheers

darrenf said:
Skydive69

I notice the roubaix pro is a reynolds 853 frame. I am seriously considering getting a custom 853 frame soon and wondered what you think of the frame on your roubaix?- handling, stiffness, comfort etc?

Also, is it really 8lb lighter than your last bike? I guess the dura ace components help but what is the overall weight of the bike and do you know what the frame weighs in at?

Cheers
Last time I checked the specialized site, the R Pro was CF. Want a 853 custom? just buy one.Comparison to someone elses 853 is close to meaningless, and more mental masturbation than reality anyway.