Does a cyclocomputer like this exist?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Laurent Duperva, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    This weekend I started something new on my bike. I will ride for about
    4.5 km at 27-29 km/h then for 500 m, go to35-37 km/h and repeat the loop for the duration of my
    ride. I noticed that sometimes I managed to hold the 500 m at fast speed but sometimes I only
    lasted about 350
    m. I would have like to be able to see a map of my riding speed over the course of my trip. I'm not
    sure how much information I would like but I would like to be able to download the information
    and pop it in a database or a spreadsheet and see how I'm progressing on my various trips (since
    I tend to repeat them often).

    Does a device like this exist? WHere?

    Thanks,

  2. > This weekend I started something new on my bike. I will ride for about
    > 4.5 km at 27-29 km/h then for 500 m, go to35-37 km/h and repeat the loop for the duration of my
    > ride. I noticed that sometimes I managed to hold the 500 m at fast speed but sometimes I only
    > lasted about 350
    > m. I would have like to be able to see a map of my riding speed over the course of my trip. I'm
    > not sure how much information I would like but I would like to be able to download the
    > information and pop it in a database or a spreadsheet and see how I'm progressing on my various
    > trips (since I tend to repeat them often).
    >
    > Does a device like this exist? WHere?

    The Polar S510 and S720 series bike computer/heart monitors record data at 5 second intervals (for
    later download to your computer), so they should be good for that. The Ciclomaster HAC4 is in some
    ways a better computer (most accurate altimeter function I've seen), but records at 20 second
    intervals so won't be very good at telling you how long you were at speed (it might miss both the
    beginning and ending of your 500m sprint).

  3. G. Huang

    G. Huang Guest

    Laurent Duperval wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > This weekend I started something new on my bike. I will ride for about
    > 4.5 km at 27-29 km/h then for 500 m, go to35-37 km/h and repeat the loop for the duration of my
    > ride. I noticed that sometimes I managed to hold the 500 m at fast speed but sometimes I only
    > lasted about 350
    > m. I would have like to be able to see a map of my riding speed over the course of my trip. I'm
    > not sure how much information I would like but I would like to be able to download the
    > information and pop it in a database or a spreadsheet and see how I'm progressing on my various
    > trips (since I tend to repeat them often).
    >
    > Does a device like this exist? WHere?

    Most handheld GPS mounted on the bicycle can do this nicely. It also tells you exactly on what
    street you were going at x km/h and etc.

    GH

  4. On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 15:53:18 -0400, G. Huang wrote:
    > Most handheld GPS mounted on the bicycle can do this nicely. It also tells you exactly on what
    > street you were going at x km/h and etc.

    I didn't know that. Thanks for the pointer!

    Laurent Duperval <mailto:[email protected]>

    On the day of the final exam the professor said, "Anyone who is satisfied with a B may put their
    name on this list and leave now." When those who wanted to do so had signed and left he said, "The
    rest of you get As." -

  5. On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 16:00:51 +0000, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
    > The Polar S510 and S720 series bike computer/heart monitors record data at 5 second intervals (for
    > later download to your computer), so they should be good for that. The Ciclomaster HAC4 is in some
    > ways a better computer (most accurate altimeter function I've seen), but records at 20 second
    > intervals so won't be very good at telling you how long you were at speed (it might miss both the
    > beginning and ending of your 500m sprint).

    Thanks for the information on both systems.