Does a stretched chain make noise?

Chris Nelson

Guest
Just got back from a ride and noticed that when I was pedaling up
hill(i.e. lots of tension on the chain) I was getting a sound kinda
similar to when the chain is rubbing on the front derailleur(but it
wasn't). The chain probably has 1000 miles on it and I will measure it
tomorrow as I am too tired to do it now. Anyone else ever hear that
noise?

Chris

Chris Nelson wrote:
> Just got back from a ride and noticed that when I was pedaling up
> hill(i.e. lots of tension on the chain) I was getting a sound kinda
> similar to when the chain is rubbing on the front derailleur(but it
> wasn't). The chain probably has 1000 miles on it and I will measure it
> tomorrow as I am too tired to do it now. Anyone else ever hear that
> noise?
>
> Chris

If your chain is clean and lubricated, which I assume it is, and it
ends up measuring alright, I'd first look for grit deep in the rear
cassette, then, if none, I'd check the bottom bracket and rear hub for
grit and, if necessary, bearing wear. As a matter of fact, no matter
how the chain measures, I'd still check those out.

Chris Nelson wrote:
> Just got back from a ride and noticed that when I was pedaling up
> hill(i.e. lots of tension on the chain) I was getting a sound kinda
> similar to when the chain is rubbing on the front derailleur(but it
> wasn't). The chain probably has 1000 miles on it and I will measure it
> tomorrow as I am too tired to do it now. Anyone else ever hear that
> noise?
>
> Chris

If the front rings are getting 'tired', it would be more of a
'poppoing' sound, rather than grinding type sound. Could be that it IS
rubbing somewhere. Generally chains that are at their end of life don't
make anymore noise than a new one, assuming both are lubed.

Well it wasn't the chain, measured up correctly. No rubbing anywhere. I
clean and lube it every other ride or so with Prolink and clean the
cassette and front chainrings as well. The cassette(ultegra) has about
1000 miles on it and the front chainrings probably about 2000. They are
TA Specialites it that makes a difference. BB seems OK but the rear hub
is probably due for an overhaul.

Thanks, I'll keep my ear on it. I'm a bit maniacal about bike noises,
but this one seems new.

Chris

I get this too, especially when I'm "pulling" hard up a hill. Does it
happen in time with your pedalling? if so, the chain is rubbing against
the inside of the front derailer cage. this happens when the stress of
pedaling flexes the frame/cranks enough so that the chain makes contact.

If this is it. live with it, it's not hurting anything. Or you can buy a
stiffer frame and cranks.

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"