Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic?

Jack May wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Jack May wrote:
>>> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>> No, you were implying that transit spending is much higher than that of
>> individualized private motorized transport, which is silly when total
>> expenditures are compared.

> As I said above total cost has no affect on people. Individual cost is what
> is important.

Total cost has no effect? Does that money fall out of the sky as a gift
from heaven?

Jack May wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Jens Müller wrote:
>>> Tom Sherman schrieb:

>> Pat and Jack May obviously have the belief that bipedal apes can overcome
>> any problem through technological development. That is foolish hubris,
>> since these bipedal apes are not all powerful. It will be amusing to
>> observe the reaction of the bipedal apes when the ecological limits of
>> what the Earth can support are exceeded for an extended period.

> Well we bipedal apes have a long track record of solving problems. Since
> problem solving with technology grows exponentially over time, there is a
> very good chance we can continue to solve problems.

More foolish hubris. Pride goes before the fall.

> Again you are just ****** because nobody probably considers you part of the
> solution and will pay you for solutions.

Another stupid assumption. However, I know I am not a parasite on
others, unlike so many of the "successful".

Tom Sherman wrote:

>> Where did they all go?
>>

> The dairy farm failed because all the cows (not steers) were sold for
> beef while in their milk producing prime. ;)

I am partial to Jersey's. They are like the Golden Retriever's of the
dairy cow world. Smaller and with a much sweeter temperament. They can
almost be a pet. Plus, they can "sweeten" the BF rate a bit if needed.

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jack May wrote:
>> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>>>>>

>>> Sheesh! What is important is the total expenditure on transportation,
>>> not merely what a regional government agency spends.

>> Governments have a budget they must live with. The question is do they
>> spend their limited fund wisely or foolishly. Transit is typically very
>> foolish spending by Governments.
>>> When the costs of private vehicle operation are considered, transit
>>> spending is a drop in the bucket.

>> 99% of transportation in the US is with cars and other road vehicles.
>> Less than 1% is transit. The questions are cost per person and the
>> economic consequences of the mode transportation. Total cost does not
>> affect people. They are only affected by their cost. Just doing a
>> total is not rational.
>>

> Depending on an unsustainable system is not rational.

Oh exactly what is going to keep recyclable alternative fuels from being
sustainable. Do you really think that companies are just going to sit on
their hands and do nothing to supply the needs of people. You are
obviously talking nonsense.

By the way the cost per individual for transit is very high and a large
percentage of their total transportation cost.

At least 15% of Federal gas taxes go to transit and some people put it much
higher than that.

The cost in time for congestion caused by diverting money to transit
averages over $400 per year per person for the time lost in traffic jams.
It is much higher than $400 per year for high income Silicon Valley type
workers

Since 67% to 77% of transportation dollars go to fund transit (depends on
the year), that is a high cost to all of tax payer that will never ever use
transit.

The we also pay high taxes for the unemployed and for welfare because of the
much greater difficulty of transit users to find a job as has been
documented by University research

Then there is the high cost of sickness caused by exponential pollution
increased cause by congestion which again is direct result of spending most
of the transportation dollars on transit instead of the much more efficient
roads. The green house gases go up 45% from cars in transit induced
congestion.

So transit is not a drop in the bucket, but a substantial cost to
individuals.

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jack May wrote:
>> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> No, you were implying that transit spending is much higher than that of
>>> individualized private motorized transport, which is silly when total
>>> expenditures are compared.

>> As I said above total cost has no affect on people. Individual cost is
>> what is important.
>>

> Total cost has no effect? Does that money fall out of the sky as a gift
> from heaven?

How does total cost affect an individual? If it does not paid by the
individual out of their pocket, their taxes (yes out of pocket), or their
lost time, how does it affect them.

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jack May wrote:
>> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Pat and Jack May obviously have the belief that bipedal apes can
>>> overcome any problem through technological development. That is foolish
>>> hubris, since these bipedal apes are not all powerful. It will be
>>> amusing to observe the reaction of the bipedal apes when the ecological
>>> limits of what the Earth can support are exceeded for an extended
>>> period.

>> Well we bipedal apes have a long track record of solving problems.
>> Since problem solving with technology grows exponentially over time,
>> there is a very good chance we can continue to solve problems.
>>

> More foolish hubris. Pride goes before the fall.
>
>> Again you are just ****** because nobody probably considers you part of
>> the solution and will pay you for solutions.

> Another stupid assumption. However, I know I am not a parasite on others,
> unlike so many of the "successful".

More of you being ****** off at not being able to be successful in life.

"Eric Vey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Pat wrote:

> "Geez. Wake up and realize that you're not the only person on the
> planet and that you don't have "the best" lifestyle."

We have a very good lifestyle in the US. In your lies, let me remind you
never said "the best"

> BTW, next time you drive past a "dead" dairy farm in the boondocks,
> reflect upon the farmer and what ever happened to his sons. You know, the
> sons that replied, "I'll do anything and go anywhere as long as I don't
> have to smell cow ****!" when asked the usual questions boys are asked.

Smelly cow ****??? There are dairy farmers that are using cow **** to
power their farms from the methane and some are even powering hundreds of
house near them. The waste left over from the process does not smell and
put back on or in the land to produce the feed for the cows to produce more
power. Farmers are not dumb. They take advantage of what they have and
dairy farmers have large piles of "fuel"

Jack May wrote:
> "Eric Vey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Pat wrote:

>> "Geez. Wake up and realize that you're not the only person on the
>> planet and that you don't have "the best" lifestyle."

> We have a very good lifestyle in the US. In your lies, let me remind you
> never said "the best"
>> BTW, next time you drive past a "dead" dairy farm in the boondocks,
>> reflect upon the farmer and what ever happened to his sons. You know, the
>> sons that replied, "I'll do anything and go anywhere as long as I don't
>> have to smell cow ****!" when asked the usual questions boys are asked.

> Smelly cow ****??? There are dairy farmers that are using cow **** to
> power their farms from the methane and some are even powering hundreds of
> house near them. The waste left over from the process does not smell and
> put back on or in the land to produce the feed for the cows to produce more
> power. Farmers are not dumb. They take advantage of what they have and
> dairy farmers have large piles of "fuel"

Jack, wake up and smell the cow ****. You are in way over your head.
Maybe in it.

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 15:51:15 -0700, "Jack May" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Valued Corporate #120,345 Employee (B A R R Y)"
><[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:48:17 -0700, "Jack May" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>Public transit maximizes global warming by spending most of the
>>>transportation dollars to transport an insignificant number of people.
>>>The
>>>result is increased congestion caused by transit resulting in greatly
>>>increased pollution and green house gases.

>> That's so stupid, my head exploded.

>The SF Bay area spends two thirds of its transportation funds to carry 5% of
>the travel. If you can't understand how that causes major problems, then
>you are worthless as a person.

And that's why SF is in the running for Congestion Pricing, to force
folks off of their cars and into more efficient transportation.
Unfortunately, here in NYC, mass transit is so overutilized that we
can't squeeze more drivers into the trains.

Not that I believe your numbers of course.

On Apr 14, 6:09 pm, "V-for-Vendicar"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> >http://tatanano.inservices.tatamotors.com/tatamotors/

> > $2500 About 50 MPG, (20 km/L) Meets Euro4 emission standards.

> "ComandanteBanana" <[email protected]> wrote
> Really nice little car. That's all we need. People in America though
> prefer a large car to boost their ego --and to survive in a jungle
> where "the big fish eats the little fish"...
>
> > Say So Long to the AmeriKKKant Automotive Industry.

> "ComandanteBanana" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > Yeah, but by keeping the small, smart competition out of the market,
> > the dinosaurs will cling to life. It's a very old story... ;)

> How long do you anticipate that AmeriKKKans will continue to spend $28,000
> more on a car than they need to?

I think that as long as Americans live by SOCIAL DARWINISM, it will
only be the biggest, most expensive vehicles that can signal their
place among the most successful predators. In other words, everybody
wants to be a lion in this jungle. :(

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

On Apr 13, 5:28 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Jens Müller wrote:

> >> Congress does not have the power to overcome reality. Duh!

> > Congress has any power necessary and proper for carrying into Execution
> > the other powers of government. Overcoming reality might become
> > necessary, but is probably not proper ...

> And who said people from a certain European country were incapable of
> comedy? ;)
>
> Pat and Jack May obviously have the belief that bipedal apes can
> overcome any problem through technological development. That is foolish
> hubris, since these bipedal apes are not all powerful. It will be
> amusing to observe the reaction of the bipedal apes when the ecological
> limits of what the Earth can support are exceeded for an extended period.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful- Hide quoted text -

The stupid monkeys spend a fortune on stealing resources from other
monkeys (WAR), not on saving the precious resources...

stupid monkeys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a15KgyXBX24

armed monkeys

http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/f/f6/Armed_monkeys.jpg

On Apr 13, 6:22 pm, "Jack May" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Lack of mobility with transit is an extremely high cost to the economy as is
> really apparent in third world economies.  The cost of transit is also
> extremely high to Governments which leads to major problems funding other
> parts of Government.

So what's the solution, get rid of public transportation? :)

I also tell you though that many buses run at capacity at peak times.
Have you ever been on one?

On Apr 13, 6:35 pm, "Jack May" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Jens Müller wrote:
> >> Tom Sherman schrieb:

> > Pat and Jack May obviously have the belief that bipedal apes can overcome
> > any problem through technological development. That is foolish hubris,
> > since these bipedal apes are not all powerful. It will be amusing to
> > observe the reaction of the bipedal apes when the ecological limits of
> > what the Earth can support are exceeded for an extended period.

> Well we bipedal apes have a long track record of solving problems. Since
> problem solving with technology grows exponentially over time, there is a
> very good chance we can continue to solve problems.
>
> Again you are just ****** because nobody probably considers you part of the
> solution and will pay you for solutions.

Only cooperative monkeys are successful. Selfish monkeys are a big
disaster.

'If we ... ask Nature: "who are the fittest: those who are continually
at war with each other, or those who support one another?" we at once
see that those animals which acquire habits of mutual aid are
undoubtedly the fittest. They have more chances to survive, and they
attain, in their respective classes, the highest development of
intelligence and bodily organization.' -Peter Kropotkin

http://www.marxists.org/subject/science/essays/kropotkin.htm

Jack May wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Jack May wrote:
>>> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Governments have a budget they must live with. The question is do they
>>> spend their limited fund wisely or foolishly. Transit is typically very
>>> foolish spending by Governments.
>>> 99% of transportation in the US is with cars and other road vehicles.
>>> Less than 1% is transit. The questions are cost per person and the
>>> economic consequences of the mode transportation. Total cost does not
>>> affect people. They are only affected by their cost. Just doing a
>>> total is not rational.
>>>

>> Depending on an unsustainable system is not rational.

> Oh exactly what is going to keep recyclable alternative fuels from being
> sustainable. Do you really think that companies are just going to sit on
> their hands and do nothing to supply the needs of people. You are
> obviously talking nonsense.

If you believe that renewable fuels can keep up with uncontrolled
population growth, I want some of what you are smoking.

> By the way the cost per individual for transit is very high and a large
> percentage of their total transportation cost.

Citation?

> At least 15% of Federal gas taxes go to transit and some people put it much
> higher than that.

Citation?

Who are "some people"?

Can we count all the money spent on the US military in foreign oil
producing regions towards the cost of transportation?

> The cost in time for congestion caused by diverting money to transit
> averages over $400 per year per person for the time lost in traffic jams.
> It is much higher than $400 per year for high income Silicon Valley type
> workers

Citation?

> Since 67% to 77% of transportation dollars go to fund transit (depends on
> the year), that is a high cost to all of tax payer that will never ever use
> transit.

Citation?

> The we also pay high taxes for the unemployed and for welfare because of the
> much greater difficulty of transit users to find a job as has been
> documented by University research

Citation?

> Then there is the high cost of sickness caused by exponential pollution
> increased cause by congestion which again is direct result of spending most
> of the transportation dollars on transit instead of the much more efficient
> roads. The green house gases go up 45% from cars in transit induced
> congestion.

Citation?

> So transit is not a drop in the bucket, but a substantial cost to
> individuals.

Citation?

ComandanteBanana wrote:
> On Apr 13, 6:22 pm, "Jack May" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Lack of mobility with transit is an extremely high cost to the economy as is
>> really apparent in third world economies. The cost of transit is also
>> extremely high to Governments which leads to major problems funding other
>> parts of Government.

> So what's the solution, get rid of public transportation? :)
>
> I also tell you though that many buses run at capacity at peak times.
> Have you ever been on one?

Mr. May stooping to ride a bus with the great unwashed?

dgk wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 15:51:15 -0700, "Jack May" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> "Valued Corporate #120,345 Employee (B A R R Y)"
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> That's so stupid, my head exploded.

>> The SF Bay area spends two thirds of its transportation funds to carry 5% of
>> the travel. If you can't understand how that causes major problems, then
>> you are worthless as a person.
>>

> And that's why SF is in the running for Congestion Pricing, to force
> folks off of their cars and into more efficient transportation.
> Unfortunately, here in NYC, mass transit is so overutilized that we
> can't squeeze more drivers into the trains.
>
> Not that I believe your numbers of course.

A superior human being prefers to ride a bicycle.

Jack May wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Jack May wrote:
>>> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>> As I said above total cost has no affect on people. Individual cost is
>>> what is important.
>>>

>> Total cost has no effect? Does that money fall out of the sky as a gift
>> from heaven?

> How does total cost affect an individual? If it does not paid by the
> individual out of their pocket, their taxes (yes out of pocket), or their
> lost time, how does it affect them.

Of course the total cost is paid either directly or in taxes [1]. Duh!

[1] Except for the very rich who write the tax laws with loopholes so
they pay much less than their fair share relative to what society
contributes to their personal wealth.

Jack May wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Jack May wrote:
>>> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Well we bipedal apes have a long track record of solving problems.
>>> Since problem solving with technology grows exponentially over time,
>>> there is a very good chance we can continue to solve problems.
>>>

>> More foolish hubris. Pride goes before the fall.
>>
>>> Again you are just ****** because nobody probably considers you part of
>>> the solution and will pay you for solutions.

>> Another stupid assumption. However, I know I am not a parasite on others,
>> unlike so many of the "successful".

> More of you being ****** off at not being able to be successful in life.

How would Mr. May know? Omniscience? Sheesh!

I have a middle class income, which I more than earn, rather than
leaching off the labor of others.

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 21:56:57 -0500, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>dgk wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 15:51:15 -0700, "Jack May" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> "Valued Corporate #120,345 Employee (B A R R Y)"
>>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> The SF Bay area spends two thirds of its transportation funds to carry 5% of
>>> the travel. If you can't understand how that causes major problems, then
>>> you are worthless as a person.
>>>

>> And that's why SF is in the running for Congestion Pricing, to force
>> folks off of their cars and into more efficient transportation.
>> Unfortunately, here in NYC, mass transit is so overutilized that we
>> can't squeeze more drivers into the trains.
>>
>> Not that I believe your numbers of course.

>A superior human being prefers to ride a bicycle.

Naturally, but sometimes those trains are very convenient. If the
choice is driving or biking, I bike. But when I can sit on a train and
read, that is also nice. The jury may be out on whether to listen to
the radio while biking, but I think we all agree that reading while
biking is a no no.