Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic?

On Apr 5, 10:38 pm, Pat <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 5, 5:37 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > Pat, vehicular bully, wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > Meanwhile, if you feel unsafe, look within.  Are you doing anything
> > > that you shouldn't be or that's unpredictable?  I see more of that
> > > with people on bikes than with drivers.  Drivers are a fairly
> > > predictable group.  You know about what speed they are going, how wide
> > > the lane is and how wide the car is.  If you are obstructing them,
> > > then get out of the way.  You need to be able to keep up with traffic
> > > if you're going to be on the road.

> > So might makes right, eh?

> > Can I put a ram on the front of a dump-truck and go plowing through city
> > traffic that is going more slowly than I want to go?

> > --
> > Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> > The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

> You entirely missed the point.  The point is, it appears that the
> poster is scared and hesitant and therefore probably is unsafe in
> traffic.  If you do things that are unpredictable, you will have more
> trouble.  If you go slower or faster than traffic, it is dangerous.
> That's why bikes and horse and pedestrians are banned from highways.
> And, if you go UNDER 45 on an expressway, you can be ticketed for
> that, too, if everyone else is going at road speed.  The gov't has
> recognized that going too slow is dangerous.  If you can't keep up
> with traffic, get off the road.  If you can, and you are still having
> problems, then look within.- Hide quoted text -

Your stupid dinosaurs scare off everybody else in the jungle. Should
the efficient little animals stay their path, or should we finish the
stupid dinosaurs.

Only in America. :(

On Apr 5, 11:03 pm, Bob <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 5, 10:13 am, ComandanteBanana <[email protected]>
> wrote:

> > > There's a bit of crossposting going on but judging by your "bikers in
> > > the group" phrase I'm guessing that you are posting from the
> > > alt.planning.urban group. Just as a point of information, there are
> > > probably at least as many cyclists vehemently opposed to bike lanes as
> > > there are bike lane boosters.

> > > Regards,
> > > Bob Hunt

> > I've said there are TWO OPTIONS: BIKE LANES or ENFORCED 20MPH LANES.

> > But it won't happen before we destroy the world. What we are lacking
> > is POLITICAL WILL!

> That you can only think of two options doesn't mean that only two
> options exist. No matter how loudly you shout your opinion it is just
> that, your opinion.
>
> Regards,
> Bob Hunt- Hide quoted text -

Why don't you enlighten us with the other options? Are you do
something radical like the Dutch, when you can't even do the simple
stuff?

On Apr 5, 11:21 pm, Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Yeah, but that's only if you ride your bike once a year. I took a nice
> > 20mile ride and survived it... What does it prove?

> I checked and rechecked the source material and couldn't find anything
> saying that only once-a-year riders get killed so your assertion is
> baseless.

It doesn't say daily either. If you use a bike daily in traffic, you
are more likely to die than doing service in Iraq.

(It would interesting to compile those stats)

> > Hint: Check the book "It's No Accident," and you will know what
> > happens when people are not paying attention to driving.-

> You need a book to inform you of the hazards of inattentive driving?
> Duh.

No, the traffic authorities should. Maybe you should buy a book and
send it to them... ;)

On Apr 6, 4:23 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Bob Hunt wrote:
> > On Apr 5, 10:10 am, ComandanteBanana wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> You are advising me to buy the tandem road bike I like and ride it
> >> everyday among the top predators?

> > If I could be sure it would end your one trick pony posts here, I'd
> > buy it for you myself.

> [...]
>
> LOL!
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

Hey, that option if tempting, huh?

On Apr 6, 8:10 am, "Valued Corporate #120,345 Employee (B A R R Y)"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 22:09:09 -0400, "Scott M. Kozel"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Who defines what is a "proper cyclist" or "real cyclist"?

> Manners, posture, and clothing!
>
> When I'm riding properly, I say "pardon me" as I turn, signal with my
> pinkie out, never slump in the saddle, and wear formal clothing.  <G>
>
> I really don't care if someone calls me a "biker", "cyclist", "guy on
> a bicycle", as I'm enjoying myself.

A proper cyclist is wearing lycra suit and riding expensive bike.

A real cyclist is using a bike for actual transportation.

That's what my dictionary says.

On Apr 5, 11:03 pm, Jens Müller <[email protected]> wrote:
> Pat schrieb:
>
> > What's this "non-cyclist" stuff?  I don't know if I am or not.  Too
> > many semantics here for me.  But the snow is off and the weather is
> > warming.  The ski slope up the road even closes tomorrow.  So I
> > started getting my bike out of winter storage.

> "Winter storage"? Are you also getting your car out of "winter storage"?

No, my car has snow tires and a heater. Okay, the bike has heaters,
too, but not they're not really effective in sub-freezing temps with
70 mph wind chills.

On Apr 6, 3:59 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Pat, an apparent non-cyclist, but possibly a biker, wrote:> On Apr 5, 5:22pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >> Pat, an apparent non-cyclist, wrote:> [...]

> > What's this "non-cyclist" stuff?  I don't know if I am or not.  Too
> > many semantics here for me.  But the snow is off and the weather is
> > warming.  The ski slope up the road even closes tomorrow.  So I
> > started getting my bike out of winter storage.  That was a nice
> > feeling.

> > I got the cob webs off of her and I just pushed the starter and she
> > jumped right to life.  Maybe next weekend I'll change the oil and
> > install the new thermostat I just ordered.

> If it has a motor, you are either a motorcyclist or biker, depending on
> the type of machine and clothes you wear.

I never really thought that much about a name. I guess I have other
things to do ;-) But neither of those names fit. I would say "I
ride a motorcycle". I guess I don't identify it as "I am a ...
(anything)." Just like I wouldn't say "I am a driver" or "I am a
homeowner". I drive a car and own a home, but I guess I don't start
very many thoughts with "I am a ...".

Weird, huh?

> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

On Apr 6, 4:04 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Scott M. Kozel wrote:
> > Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> If you have to ask, you are obviously not one. Here is a hint - their
> >> single track vehicles are NOT powered by V-Twin engines.

> > The point is, that YOU don't get to define words for everybody.

> I am reporting on what the actual usage is, not defining words for
> everybody. DUH!
>
> > The dictionary definitions trump your static worldview.

> I can recall several instances where clueless local newspaper reporters
> referred to bicyclists as "bikers", which was worth a good laugh for the
> bicyclists.

In common usage, at least around here, biker ride old Harleys, wear
leather vests, and don't shave.

Everyone else just rides a motorcycle.

Around here, you know what you call someone who rides a bicycle? An
elementary student !!! (Ouch). I guess it's different in the rural
areas.

Pat, without an identity, wrote:
> On Apr 6, 3:59 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> Pat, an apparent non-cyclist, but possibly a biker, wrote:> On Apr 5, 5:22 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
>>> What's this "non-cyclist" stuff? I don't know if I am or not. Too
>>> many semantics here for me. But the snow is off and the weather is
>>> warming. The ski slope up the road even closes tomorrow. So I
>>> started getting my bike out of winter storage. That was a nice
>>> feeling.
>>> I got the cob webs off of her and I just pushed the starter and she
>>> jumped right to life. Maybe next weekend I'll change the oil and
>>> install the new thermostat I just ordered.

>> If it has a motor, you are either a motorcyclist or biker, depending on
>> the type of machine and clothes you wear.

> I never really thought that much about a name. I guess I have other
> things to do ;-) But neither of those names fit. I would say "I
> ride a motorcycle". I guess I don't identify it as "I am a ...
> (anything)." Just like I wouldn't say "I am a driver" or "I am a
> homeowner". I drive a car and own a home, but I guess I don't start
> very many thoughts with "I am a ...".
>
> Weird, huh?

Yes, very weird from the perspective of a cyclist or biker.

Pat, non-cyclist, wrote:
> On Apr 6, 4:04 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> Scott M. Kozel wrote:
>>> The point is, that YOU don't get to define words for everybody.

>> I am reporting on what the actual usage is, not defining words for
>> everybody. DUH!
>>
>>> The dictionary definitions trump your static worldview.

>> I can recall several instances where clueless local newspaper reporters
>> referred to bicyclists as "bikers", which was worth a good laugh for the
>> bicyclists.

> In common usage, at least around here, biker ride old Harleys, wear
> leather vests, and don't shave.

Indeed.

> Everyone else just rides a motorcycle.
>
> Around here, you know what you call someone who rides a bicycle? An
> elementary student !!! (Ouch). I guess it's different in the rural
> areas.

Sounds like a pitiful segment of society if people do not ride bicycles.
Truly unenlightened.

Jens Müller <[email protected]> writes:
> Valued Corporate #120,345 Employee (B A R R Y) schrieb:
>> On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 14:13:17 +0200, Jens Müller
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> What is formal clothing? A suit, complete with a tie?

>> That's "semi-formal".
>>
>> Formal means tuxedo & tails! <G>

> Uh hu ...
>
> I think there's probably no word than for the kind of clothing I'm
> wearing at work ... Jeans and sweatshirt, or shorts and T-shirt in
> summer ...

Sure there is -- "casual."

I like to refer to the sort of attire you describe above,
as "scruffies." I feel quite comfortable in my own
scruffies, although I tend to opt more for plaid shirts
than T-shirts.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

On Apr 6, 1:03 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Pat, non-cyclist, wrote:

> > Around here, you know what you call someone who rides a bicycle?  An
> > elementary student !!!   (Ouch).  I guess it's different in the rural
> > areas.

> Sounds like a pitiful segment of society if people do not ride bicycles.
> Truly unenlightened.

Maybe they are plain intimidated by cars. Or maybe they are the sheep
who buy into advertising. Hey, they may not even have the right
ATTITUDE.

Well, I hope this helps...

"Well, our roads could be much safer, but, what the heck, you ain't
afraid of the jungle. And this high-visibility yellow T-shirt will
help you survive."

http://www.zazzle.com/stronger_shirt-235725500501443407

Buying an SUV traps you in the rat race. But then you are considered a
top rat! Crazy, no?

Well, luckily you can own a bike with peanuts, and can show the world
you are not part of the race...

Is Consumer Spending Trapping You in the Rat Race?
Buying consumer goods can trap you in the Rat Race!

The objective of Consumerism is to separate you from your money,
period.

Let's look at the purchase of a car, probably the single biggest waste
of money there is!

Take the Chevy Tahoe, a popular, mid-market SUV. Purchase price,
$36,000. You put $6,000 down, borrow $30,000 for 5 years @ $607/Mo.
Total financing cost, $36,420.

Add the down payment of $6,000, totaling $42,420. After taxes. You
have to earn $63,630 in order to net $42,420.

That $36,000 Chevy Tahoe will cost you $63,630!

http://www.innoarticles.com/v/90229/Is+Consumer+Spending+Trapping+You+In+The+Rat+Race

So you say you want to escape the rat race???

Ride a bike!

"You don't need to be a top rat. You know true satisfaction comes from
the slow enjoyment of life."

http://www.zazzle.com/rat_race_shirt-235774404554314913

On Apr 8, 11:26 am, ComandanteBanana <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Buying an SUV traps you in the rat race. But then you are considered a
> top rat! Crazy, no?
>
> Well, luckily you can own a bike with peanuts, and can show the world
> you are not part of the race...
>
> Is Consumer Spending Trapping You in the Rat Race?
> Buying consumer goods can trap you in the Rat Race!
>
> The objective of Consumerism is to separate you from your money,
> period.
>
> Let's look at the purchase of a car, probably the single biggest waste
> of money there is!
>
> Take the Chevy Tahoe, a popular, mid-market SUV. Purchase price,
> $36,000. You put $6,000 down, borrow $30,000 for 5 years @ $607/Mo.
> Total financing cost, $36,420.
>
> Add the down payment of $6,000, totaling $42,420. After taxes. You
> have to earn $63,630 in order to net $42,420.
>
> That $36,000 Chevy Tahoe will cost you $63,630!
>
> http://www.innoarticles.com/v/90229/Is+Consumer+Spending+Trapping+You...
>
> So you say you want to escape the rat race???
>
> Ride a bike!
>
> "You don't need to be a top rat. You know true satisfaction comes from
> the slow enjoyment of life."
>
> http://www.zazzle.com/rat_race_shirt-235774404554314913

Why do you persist to be such an egocentric and arrogant snot. The
whole world does live like you do, doesn't want to live like you do,
and won't ever live like you do. Just because a bike is good for you,
it doesn't mean it's good for everyone. You live in some hell-hole
city that you like, but lots and lots of people don't. It's a big
world out there. Look up and realize that the whole world isn't
paved. The whole would is urban. The whole world is bikable. The
whole world isn't compact. I drove 500 miles to a meeting and back,
yesterday. You'd still be on your bike.

Geez. Wake up and realize that you're not the only person on the
planet and that you don't have "the best" lifestyle.

wrote:
> Buying an SUV traps you in the rat race. But then you are considered a
> top rat! Crazy, no?
>
> Well, luckily you can own a bike with peanuts, and can show the world
> you are not part of the race...
>
> Is Consumer Spending Trapping You in the Rat Race?
> Buying consumer goods can trap you in the Rat Race!
>
> The objective of Consumerism is to separate you from your money,
> period.
>
> Let's look at the purchase of a car, probably the single biggest waste
> of money there is!
>
> Take the Chevy Tahoe, a popular, mid-market SUV. Purchase price,
> $36,000. You put $6,000 down, borrow $30,000 for 5 years @ $607/Mo.
> Total financing cost, $36,420.
>
> Add the down payment of $6,000, totaling $42,420. After taxes. You
> have to earn $63,630 in order to net $42,420.
>
> That $36,000 Chevy Tahoe will cost you $63,630!
>
> http://www.innoarticles.com/v/90229/Is+Consumer+Spending+Trapping+You...
>
> So you say you want to escape the rat race???
>
> Ride a bike!
>
> "You don't need to be a top rat. You know true satisfaction comes from
> the slow enjoyment of life."
>
> http://www.zazzle.com/rat_race_shirt-235774404554314913

Why do you persist to be such an egocentric and arrogant snot. The
whole world does live like you do, doesn't want to live like you do,
and won't ever live like you do. Just because a bike is good for you,
it doesn't mean it's good for everyone. You live in some hell-hole
city that you like, but lots and lots of people don't. It's a big
world out there. Look up and realize that the whole world isn't
paved. The whole would is urban. The whole world is bikable. The
whole world isn't compact.

------------
Please decide if it is or if it isn't...

On Apr 8, 2:37 pm, Pat <[email protected]> wrote:

> > "You don't need to be a top rat. You know true satisfaction comes from
> > the slow enjoyment of life."

> >http://www.zazzle.com/rat_race_shirt-235774404554314913

> Why do you persist to be such an egocentric and arrogant snot.  The
> whole world does live like you do, doesn't want to live like you do,
> and won't ever live like you do.  Just because a bike is good for you,
> it doesn't mean it's good for everyone.  You live in some hell-hole
> city that you like, but lots and lots of people don't.  It's a big
> world out there.  Look up and realize that the whole world isn't
> paved.  The whole would is urban.  The whole world is bikable.  The
> whole world isn't compact.  I drove 500 miles to a meeting and back,
> yesterday.  You'd still be on your bike.
>
> Geez.  Wake up and realize that you're not the only person on the
> planet and that you don't have "the best" lifestyle.- Hide quoted text -

And the whole world is NOT the boondocks, and the whole world is NOT
America. Actually your lifestyle is at odds with a dwindling oil
supplies and world peace. Bicycle IS the future; SUVs are the past,
dinosaurs refusing to evolve.

Think about it... ;)

http://www.sivacracy.net/archives/suv.jpg

ComandanteBanana schrieb:
> And the whole world is NOT the boondocks, and the whole world is NOT
> America. Actually your lifestyle is at odds with a dwindling oil
> supplies and world peace. Bicycle IS the future; SUVs are the past,
> dinosaurs refusing to evolve.

I wonder why people actually WANT to live a lifestyle where they
regularly have to drive hundreds of miles etc. pp. ...

On Apr 8, 4:15 pm, ComandanteBanana <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2:37 pm, Pat <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > > "You don't need to be a top rat. You know true satisfaction comes from
> > > the slow enjoyment of life."

> > >http://www.zazzle.com/rat_race_shirt-235774404554314913

> > Why do you persist to be such an egocentric and arrogant snot.  The
> > whole world does live like you do, doesn't want to live like you do,
> > and won't ever live like you do.  Just because a bike is good for you,
> > it doesn't mean it's good for everyone.  You live in some hell-hole
> > city that you like, but lots and lots of people don't.  It's a big
> > world out there.  Look up and realize that the whole world isn't
> > paved.  The whole would is urban.  The whole world is bikable.  The
> > whole world isn't compact.  I drove 500 miles to a meeting and back,
> > yesterday.  You'd still be on your bike.

> > Geez.  Wake up and realize that you're not the only person on the
> > planet and that you don't have "the best" lifestyle.- Hide quoted text -

> And the whole world is NOT the boondocks, and the whole world is NOT
> America. Actually your lifestyle is at odds with a dwindling oil
> supplies and world peace. Bicycle IS the future; SUVs are the past,
> dinosaurs refusing to evolve.

Actually, that last sentence is the whole difference between us. I
think that people will continue to innovate and discover alternative
to oil. I don't think humanity is just going to sit there and not do
anything. We already have bio-diesel and plastic made from corn.
Eventually, oil will fade into history like buggy whips and whale oil.

Pat aka Pollyanna wrote:
> On Apr 8, 4:15 pm, ComandanteBanana <[email protected]> wrote:
>> [...]
>> And the whole world is NOT the boondocks, and the whole world is NOT
>> America. Actually your lifestyle is at odds with a dwindling oil
>> supplies and world peace. Bicycle IS the future; SUVs are the past,
>> dinosaurs refusing to evolve.

> Actually, that last sentence is the whole difference between us. I
> think that people will continue to innovate and discover alternative
> to oil. I don't think humanity is just going to sit there and not do
> anything. We already have bio-diesel and plastic made from corn.
> Eventually, oil will fade into history like buggy whips and whale oil.
> [...]

That is the funniest thing I have read in a long time.

95-100% of the hominids will die within the next couple of centuries as
the hydrocarbon society collapses.

On Apr 8, 9:30 pm, Pat <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Why do you persist to be such an egocentric and arrogant snot.  The
> > > whole world does live like you do, doesn't want to live like you do,
> > > and won't ever live like you do.  Just because a bike is good for you,
> > > it doesn't mean it's good for everyone.  You live in some hell-hole
> > > city that you like, but lots and lots of people don't.  It's a big
> > > world out there.  Look up and realize that the whole world isn't
> > > paved.  The whole would is urban.  The whole world is bikable.  The
> > > whole world isn't compact.  I drove 500 miles to a meeting and back,
> > > yesterday.  You'd still be on your bike.

> > > Geez.  Wake up and realize that you're not the only person on the
> > > planet and that you don't have "the best" lifestyle.- Hide quoted text-

> > And the whole world is NOT the boondocks, and the whole world is NOT
> > America. Actually your lifestyle is at odds with a dwindling oil
> > supplies and world peace. Bicycle IS the future; SUVs are the past,
> > dinosaurs refusing to evolve.

> Actually, that last sentence is the whole difference between us.  I
> think that people will continue to innovate and discover alternative
> to oil.  I don't think humanity is just going to sit there and not do
> anything.  We already have bio-diesel and plastic made from corn.
> Eventually, oil will fade into history like buggy whips and whale oil.

Actually the difference is that you keep polluting like there's no
tomorrow, and hope that someone, somewhere, somehow will stop that
nonsense, while I've decided to make a difference MYSELF, HERE AND
NOW.

And biking is not the only option...

"While many Americans have no choice but to drive to work because of a
lack of public transport options, some find they can moderate their
gas expenses by sharing rides.

Sales of gas-guzzling SUVs are plunging as consumers shift to smaller
more fuel-efficient cars. There's also growing evidence that more
people are turning to public transport to avoid buying gas. The
American Public Transportation Association says Americans took 10.3
billion trips on public buses and trains last year, the highest level
in 50 years and a 2.1 percent increase from 2006."

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080319/gas_prices_tipping_point.html?.v=1&.pf=family-home