Does anybody else find this annoying?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Bubbablue, Mar 9, 2004.

  1. Bubbablue

    Bubbablue Guest

    I was looking for a recipe for turkey a few weeks back.
    Almost every recipe I looked at called for canned soup, pre-
    packaged spice mixes, and other pre-processed foods.

    Why is it so difficult for people to cook from scratch??

    wd39

    Tags:

  2. "Bubbablue" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was looking for a recipe for turkey a few weeks back.
    > Almost every recipe I looked at called for canned soup,
    > pre-packaged spice mixes, and other pre-processed foods.
    >
    > Why is it so difficult for people to cook from scratch??
    >
    > wd39

    That's something I've found to be very annoying to, oh that
    sounds good...wait it calls for a mix. I do think the answer
    is that a) people are lazy and b) many people don't realize
    that it doesn't take much if at all longer to make simple
    things from scratch. On the rare occassion that I do use a
    mix or other processed thing that requires any prep, it
    usually takes me longer because I have to read the
    instructions a couple of times.

    When I took a cooking class in HS (no longer home ec in
    1990) I remeber the instructor telling us that in many
    instances mixes were more economical. It may cost more than
    the $0.99 cent cake mix and $1.99 can of frosting for me to
    make a cake, but it's worth it.

    Jessica

  3. Levelwave©

    Levelwave© Guest

    Bubbablue wrote:

    > Why is it so difficult for people to cook from scratch??

    ...because most people do not like cooking.

    ~john

    --
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a
    civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will

    "Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a
    step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal." --
    Janet Reno US Attorney General

  4. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Bubbablue wrote:
    > I was looking for a recipe for turkey a few weeks back.
    > Almost every recipe I looked at called for canned soup,
    > pre-packaged spice mixes, and other pre-processed foods.
    >
    > Why is it so difficult for people to cook from scratch??

    It's so difficult because they can't find "from scratch"
    recipes. The recipes all call for cream of canned soup.

    HTH, :) Bob

  5. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

    Bubbablue wrote:
    > I was looking for a recipe for turkey a few weeks back.
    > Almost every recipe I looked at called for canned soup,
    > pre-packaged spice mixes, and other pre-processed foods.

    Try Alton Brown's recipe. I make one similar to his and it
    turns out great without any prepackaged crap.

    > Why is it so difficult for people to cook from scratch??

    The culture in the U.S. at least is that of convenience,
    not quality.

    --
    John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
    [email protected]

  6. On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:36:18 +0000, Bubbablue wrote:
    > I was looking for a recipe for turkey a few weeks back.
    > Almost every recipe I looked at called for canned soup,
    > pre-packaged spice mixes, and other pre-processed foods.
    > Why is it so difficult for people to cook from scratch??

    I shall charitably presume that you were looking in places
    where you might reasonably expect to find recipes that met
    your requirements. I have no idea where that might be, as
    I'd be hard put to find recipes such as you describe were I
    to look for one, but still, I shall mightily most charitably
    to presume.

    Given that you were looking in sensible places, consider a
    hypothesis. While people who _can_ cook from scratch are
    perfectly capable of substituting sauces and herbs for
    canned and packaged ingredients, people who can't cook from
    scratch are incapable of substituting _back_. The recipes as
    written can be used by both populations. A kindly person
    holding the well being of mankind to heart would be pleased.
    Noblesse Oblige, old chum.

    Or, you might try opening a second cookbook, but this time,
    look for one that ISN'T in the series "A Hundred Hotdishes
    For The Holidays".

    Martin
    --
    Martin Golding | If you boil it, they will come.
    DoD #236 BMWMOA #55952 SMTC #2 |

  7. On 8 Mar 2004 20:36:18 -0800, Bubbablue wrote:

    > I was looking for a recipe for turkey a few weeks back.
    > Almost every recipe I looked at called for canned soup,
    > pre-packaged spice mixes, and other pre-processed foods.
    >
    > Why is it so difficult for people to cook from scratch??
    >
    > wd39

    Really! Especially when it's some dort of mix or tin that I
    can't readily get.
    --
    Tim.

    If the human brain were simple enough that we could
    understand it, we would be so simple that we couldn't.

  8. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On 8 Mar 2004 20:36:18 -0800, [email protected] (Bubbablue) wrote:

    >I was looking for a recipe for turkey a few weeks back.
    >Almost every recipe I looked at called for canned soup, pre-
    >packaged spice mixes, and other pre-processed foods.

    Where on earth were you looking? With the exception of
    canned chicken broth, I just found a dozen non-packet
    recipes for roast turkey on a single web page.

    >Why is it so difficult for people to cook from scratch??

    Why is it so difficult for people to grow their own
    vegetables? Or play the piano? Or bicycle? Interests differ.
    Tastes differ. There are cookbooks for everything from 3-
    ingredient dishes to labor-intensive haute cuisine. "Why is
    it so difficult...?" Perhaps because of time contstraints.
    Perhaps for economic reasons. Maybe they just plain don't
    care -- many don't.

    Does it annoy me? Not a bit.

  9. Jmk

    Jmk Guest

    On 3/8/2004 11:36 PM, Bubbablue wrote:
    > I was looking for a recipe for turkey a few weeks back.
    > Almost every recipe I looked at called for canned soup,
    > pre-packaged spice mixes, and other pre-processed foods.
    >
    > Why is it so difficult for people to cook from scratch??
    >
    > wd39

    Yeah, last time I was at the bookstore I picked up some
    cookbooks to look at and one of them was like that -- add
    one can of this, etc. I put it back.

    --
    jmk in NC

  10. Notbob

    Notbob Guest

    On 2004-03-09, Bubbablue <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I was looking for a recipe for turkey a few weeks back.
    > Almost every recipe I looked at called for canned soup,
    > pre-packaged spice mixes, and other pre-processed foods.
    >
    > Why is it so difficult for people to cook from scratch??

    No profit. Can't sell any products. In case you haven't
    noticed, the world wide web has degenerated into one big
    online mega mart. Googlemart!

    nb

  11. Scratch will have different meanings for different people.
    For some, making jell-o at home instead of buying it pre-
    made is a big deal. I don't churn my own butter nor grind my
    own flour. There are some who would call buying both of
    those in the supermarket convenience foods.

    If you're having trouble finding recipes that use the right
    amount of preparation from scratch for you, the problem
    isn't with the other people, it is with your searching
    skills. Find a few basic cookbooks (easy) or basic websites
    (a bit harder) that suit you. Keep going back to them.

    --Lia

    Bubbablue wrote:
    > I was looking for a recipe for turkey a few weeks back.
    > Almost every recipe I looked at called for canned soup,
    > pre-packaged spice mixes, and other pre-processed foods.
    >
    > Why is it so difficult for people to cook from scratch??
    >
    > wd39

  12. Paula

    Paula Guest

    just had a conversation this morning with two friends about
    "lazy mealtimes."One said that her daughter did not have the
    time to cook as she worked, so everything came out of a tin
    or packet or freezer."So what" was my reply, i too worked
    full time and had 3 children but i still managed to cook
    proper meals made with fresh produce and baked etc.my friend
    then realised that she too brought up her family whilst
    working and that was in the days before she had a freezer.we
    all decided that living in a time of conveience
    "everything," that a whole generation of people are growing
    up not knowing how to cook from scratch and baking is a no
    no. the product of lazy parents are usually lazy children.At
    the moment we have two tv. programmes about obese people and
    it all boils down to what they are eating eg. fish and
    chips, pizzas, fast food rubbish etc.Anyway getting back to
    the thread, i too get annoyed with recipes that ask for a
    packet of frozen pastry etc. etc. so i do not bother with
    them and if i need a recipe i get out one of my tried and
    tested old books.What we need is to bring back cookery and
    baking to educate the young as part of the school
    curriculum. i teach my grandson (just turned nine) how to
    bake and he loves it.

  13. Imagine you were looking for a job. Which do you suppose
    would have more openings and pay more: working in
    advertising for firm that made pre-mix food items like
    packets of seasoning, canned soup and dessert mixes, or
    writing cookbooks that include items that have been
    published dozens of times before like homemade chicken
    stock, from scratch pie crusts and salad dressing?

    Now imagine you're advertising some pre-mix food item. How
    would you go about it? Maybe by inventing recipes that use
    your products for ingredients?

    --Lia

  14. D.Currie

    D.Currie Guest

    "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Bubbablue wrote:
    > > I was looking for a recipe for turkey a few weeks back.
    > > Almost every recipe I looked at called for canned soup,
    > > pre-packaged spice mixes, and other pre-processed foods.
    > >
    > > Why is it so difficult for people to cook from scratch??
    > >

    > It's so difficult because they can't find "from scratch"
    > recipes. The recipes all call for cream of canned soup.
    >
    > HTH, :) Bob

    My MIL pretty much refuses to cook anything that has more
    than 4 or 5 ingredients. And water, by the way, may be
    classified as an ingredient. She can take some chicken,
    throw a can of mushroom soup on top, sprinkle it with some
    pre-mixed spice, and she's got something with different
    flavor instead of plain baked chicken.

    If she had to make something similar from a scratch recipe,
    it wouldn't be possible, and she'd never add the spices
    individually that you would find in a mix.

    Donna

  15. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    "Jessica Vincent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    :
    : "Bubbablue" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    : news:[email protected]...
    : > I was looking for a recipe for turkey a few weeks back.
    Almost every
    : > recipe I looked at called for canned soup, pre-
    : > packaged spice
    mixes,
    : > and other pre-processed foods.
    : >
[...]
    : --------------

    Yep. I know what you mean.

    A while back I related this to a time when I was in the
    Service. I must have been at a potluck or somebody's
    house... regardless, I asked for the recipe for something
    that I had liked... some woman had said it was so easy... "a
    box of this and some of that...". I then asked her to save
    the ingredient section of 'the box' the next time she made
    it. Upon her asking why I explained that I rarely used mixes
    because they were too expensive and that most things, I
    could make from scratch at a far less cost. She couldn't
    conceive that notion and now that I think about it, she
    never did give me that label... whoever she was and for
    whatever that dish was... Hmmm, guess it wasn't that great
    after all. LOL
    --
    Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

  16. "John Gaughan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Bubbablue wrote:
    > > I was looking for a recipe for turkey a few weeks back.
    > > Almost every recipe I looked at called for canned soup,
    > > pre-packaged spice mixes, and other pre-processed foods.
    >
    > Try Alton Brown's recipe. I make one similar to his and it
    > turns out great without any prepackaged crap.

    And what recipe is that? I still haven't seen any mention of
    any particular recipe. The original poster was talking about
    a recipe for turkey. I find that one does not need a recipe
    to make a turkey. One can purchase them at the supermarket
    or butcher shop.

    Charlie

    > > Why is it so difficult for people to cook from scratch??
    >
    > The culture in the U.S. at least is that of convenience,
    > not quality.
    >
    > --
    > John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
    > [email protected]

  17. Jmk

    Jmk Guest

    On 3/9/2004 12:16 AM, Levelwave© wrote:
    > Bubbablue wrote:
    >
    >> Why is it so difficult for people to cook from scratch??
    >

    > ...because most people do not like cooking.
    >
    > ~john

    hehe! Most people haven't *tried* cooking. They have just
    tried opening blueberry muffin mixes with fake little blue
    bits and adding egg and whatever else is necessary to
    reconstitute it...

    --
    jmk in NC

  18. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On 9 Mar 2004 06:56:31 -0800, [email protected] (paula) wrote:

    >just had a conversation this morning with two friends about
    >"lazy mealtimes."One said that her daughter did not have
    >the time to cook as she worked, so everything came out of a
    >tin or packet or freezer."So what" was my reply, i too
    >worked full time and had 3 children but i still managed to
    >cook proper meals made with fresh produce and baked etc.my
    >friend then realised that she too brought up her family
    >whilst working and that was in the days before she had a
    >freezer.we all decided that living in a time of conveience
    >"everything," that a whole generation of people are growing
    >up not knowing how to cook from scratch and baking is a no
    >no. the product of lazy parents are usually lazy children.

    But, but, but...not everyone *cares* about hand-crafted
    cooking. Just as not everyone wants to garden, or paint, or
    go swimming. My mother, a "housewife," cooked 3 reasonably
    decent meals a day at home and occasionally tried new
    recipes, but AFAIK didn't have much interest in the process.
    She sometimes baked a cake or cookies, and she never
    mastered piecrust. She made many of my clothes when I was a
    kid (many dresses with smocking), she gardened a bit. She
    kept house. She participated in church activities. She had
    rafts of friends. I don't think she was "lazy" for not
    baking bread or putting up preserves or for using frozen
    veg. Cooking was not especially interesting to her. In fact,
    the popularity of home 'adventures in cuisine' probably was
    uncommon before the 60s. You got y'r Betty Crocker cookbook
    and away you go.

    'Convenience' isn't a dirty word. For many, cooking is a
    boring, messy, but necessary chore. It isn't "lazy" to help
    your hamburger, if you're not interested in cooking noodles
    and making a sauce and washing extra pots, and your audience
    is perfectly happy to eat the result. Look at the number of
    posts asking how to make something that "tastes like" a
    commercial product. It isn't "lazy" to buy a packet of taco
    seasoning if you don't care to maintain a spice cabinet with
    half a dozen jars of cumin, oregano, chile, etc., and you
    like the taste of a mix.

  19. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (paula) wrote:

    > just had a conversation this morning with two friends
    > about "lazy mealtimes."One said that her daughter did not
    > have the time to cook as she worked, so everything came
    > out of a tin or packet or freezer."So what" was my reply,
    > i too worked full time and had 3 children but i still
    > managed to cook proper meals made with fresh produce and
    > baked etc.my friend then realised that she too brought up
    > her family whilst working and that was in the days before
    > she had a freezer.we all decided that living in a time of
    > conveience "everything," that a whole generation of people
    > are growing up not knowing how to cook from scratch and
    > baking is a no no. the product of lazy parents are usually
    > lazy children.

    I agree. While I don't completely avoid prepackaged foods
    (we keep canned tomatoes and beans around, there is a
    brand of boxed chicken broth I like to keep on hand for
    when I don't have homemade stock, we occasionally have a
    frozen pizza, etc), I make my own bread, we get good meat
    from the butcher and cook it simply and well most of the
    time, we buy produce in season and use it, we cook just
    about everything from scratch here, including making
    yogurt and preserves. I am a mother of 3 little boys
    under 6, tomorrow that will be 4 children. Now, this is
    my full time job, but it takes less than 5 minutes to
    make quesadillas on the stove for lunch or sandwiches or
    a salad and heat up some leftover soup from dinner, I can
    get dinner on the table from start to finish in less than
    45 minutes, including getting all the ingredients out and
    prepared, most weekday main dishes take about 20-30
    minutes to cook, make some pasta or rice or something to
    go with it in 10-15 minutes, steam some veggie in the
    microwave or on the stove in 5-10 minutes, you can do
    these things at the same time. Breakfast we cheat a
    little, as we stock cereals and milk or give them fruit
    and boiled egg with toast. We also cook up a triple batch
    of waffles or pancakes on the weekend and freeze the
    leftovers to toast up on school days. It is more that it
    takes some thought and mental preparation than that much
    time or effort.

    Regards, Ranee

    --
    Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

    "The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord
    of heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man."
    Acts 17:24

  20. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Jessica Vincent" <[email protected]et> wrote:

    > That's something I've found to be very annoying to, oh
    > that sounds good...wait it calls for a mix. I do think the
    > answer is that a) people are lazy and b) many people don't
    > realize that it doesn't take much if at all longer to make
    > simple things from scratch. On the rare occassion that I
    > do use a mix or other processed thing that requires any
    > prep, it usually takes me longer because I have to read
    > the instructions a couple of times.

    I remember our boys' godparents offering to make pancakes
    for the family when they were helping us out after we had
    our last child. They wanted to know where we kept the
    mix. We said we used flour, baking powder, butter, eggs,
    etc. They bought mix. It was a little faster, and we were
    grateful for the meal, but we were glad when we used it
    up and were back to our "normal" pancakes. They taste
    better, have better texture, and really don't take _that_
    much longer to make. Most people don't know what scratch
    cooking tastes like anymore.

    > When I took a cooking class in HS (no longer home ec in
    > 1990) I remeber the instructor telling us that in many
    > instances mixes were more economical. It may cost more
    > than the $0.99 cent cake mix and $1.99 can of frosting for
    > me to make a cake, but it's worth it.

    Because of the kinds of cakes I tend to make, they do
    cost more than a mix, but there are things like
    applesauce cakes and shortcakes and carrot cakes which
    are at least as cheap if not less. I can make macaroni
    and cheese for much less than the boxed stuff, and it
    tastes much better. Part of it is that we shop sales, use
    coupons and buy in bulk when it will save us money. I
    always check the mark down section in the store, and the
    cheap meat section of the market has fed our family well
    for years. We use our stale bread for croutons and french
    toast and bread pudding. We use old cornbread to stuff a
    chicken, we use the carcass to make stock. We use the
    leftover chicken and veggies to make pot pies, or rice
    casseroles. We take what is on sale and in season and
    make it work.

    I think the real test of a cook is not what s/he can do
    with great or expensive or optimal ingredients, but what
    can be done with cheap things, pantry items or leftovers.
    Now, not everyone is interested in doing this, but it is
    far cheaper and tastes better.

    Regards, Ranee