Does anybody else find this annoying?

Dog3 wrote:

> Ohhhh... okay. I don't know anything about little girl's
> skirts but the pirate shirt did it. Yes, I know what
> pleats are. What's the point of smocking anyway? Style?

Yes, style and decoration. There's very little in the
needlearts that is completely utilitarian. If all we needed
was cloth covering, a giant pillow case with holes cut for
arms and head would do it. Everything else helps fit, helps
comfort, looks more stylish, shows the artistry of the
smocker or pleater or embroiderer, etc. I find it
interesting that in this day of inexpensive, mass-produced
clothing, so many people are taking up some sort of
needleart for a hobby. I adore quilting and make colorful
artistic quilts both for sleeping under as blankets and for
hanging on the wall as fabric art. I have a cousin who
knits. Neither of our mothers would have had anything to do
with that stupid girly stuff.

This might be related to food. Our mothers didn't care to
cook either. I don't mind the traditional housewife element
in it. I just enjoy creating the tastes and textures.

--Lia

On 8 Mar 2004 20:36:18 -0800, [email protected] (Bubbablue) wrote:

>I was looking for a recipe for turkey a few weeks back.
>Almost every recipe I looked at called for canned soup, pre-
>packaged spice mixes, and other pre-processed foods.
>
>Why is it so difficult for people to cook from scratch??

I found it very amusing that this thread condemns the use of
"pre-packaged spice mixes" while praising various Penzey's
blends. I guess it's not the packet; it's the price. :)

"Nancree" wrote:
> Someone else wrote:
> >Yeah, sounds like some of those recipes that actually are
> >just ads for specific products. "Melt one ton Kraft
> >Velveeta cheese with half a can RoTel tomatoes..."
> ====================
> Actually , this makes one of the Great party dips around
> (minus a ton or
two of
> ingredients ;-) ) It's delicious with corn chips. Velveeta
> was manufactured for
melting--that
> 's why it exists. Don't compare it with cheese--it's not
> supposed to be
served
> as cheese. No harm in using handy products once in a
> while. If you want to start
by
> going out and milking a cow and churning your own cheese--
> go right ahead.
I'll
> be waiting inside, with my feet up and reading a
> good book.

Yeah, I wouldn't wait around for cheese to be churned either
;)

<now, which one's the milkin' end agin?

On 10 Mar 2004 00:47:57 GMT, [email protected] (Nancree) wrote:

>>Yeah, sounds like some of those recipes that actually are
>>just ads for specific products. "Melt one ton Kraft
>>Velveeta cheese with half a can RoTel tomatoes..."
>====================
>Actually , this makes one of the Great party dips around
>(minus a ton or two of ingredients ;-) ) It's delicious
>with corn chips. Velveeta was manufactured for melting--
>that 's why it exists. Don't compare it with cheese--it's
>not supposed to be served as cheese.

[Blushing] I guess you know why it came up with that recipe
off the top of my head, don't you? Velveeta-based chile con
queso is an old favorite chez Odom, even if we haven't had
it for a while.

Still, there are plenty of brand-based recipes out there
that appear to be more ad than cuisine.

modom

Nancree wrote:

> >Yeah, sounds like some of those recipes that actually are
> >just ads for specific products. "Melt one ton Kraft
> >Velveeta cheese with half a can RoTel tomatoes..."
> ====================
> Actually , this makes one of the Great party dips around
> (minus a ton or two of ingredients ;-) ) It's delicious
> with corn chips. Velveeta was manufactured for melting--
> that 's why it exists. Don't compare it with cheese--it's
> not supposed to be served as cheese.

Maybe so but it tastes like ****! I'd rather have good
cheddar cheese that doesn't melt so nicely but tastes a lot
better. When it comes down to looks or taste I'll go for
taste every time.

> No harm in using handy products once in a while.

I agree here but they have to be edible!

Kate

--
Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead
already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,

Nancree wrote:

> >Yeah, sounds like some of those recipes that actually are
> >just ads for specific products. "Melt one ton Kraft
> >Velveeta cheese with half a can RoTel tomatoes..."
> ====================
> Actually , this makes one of the Great party dips around
> (minus a ton or two of ingredients ;-) ) It's delicious
> with corn chips. Velveeta was manufactured for melting--
> that 's why it exists. Don't compare it with cheese--it's
> not supposed to be served as cheese.

Maybe so but it tastes like ****! I'd rather have good
cheddar cheese that doesn't melt so nicely but tastes a lot
better. When it comes down to looks or taste I'll go for
taste every time.

> No harm in using handy products once in a while.

I agree here but they have to be edible!

Kate

--
Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead
already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,
Until you bite their heads off.” What if the hokey pokey
really *is* what it's all about? mailto:[email protected]

news:[email protected]...
wrote:
:
: >I was looking for a recipe for turkey a few weeks
: >back. Almost
every
: >recipe I looked at called for canned soup, pre-
: >packaged spice
mixes,
: >and other pre-processed foods.
: >
: >Why is it so difficult for people to cook from scratch??
:
: I found it very amusing that this thread condemns the use
: of "pre-packaged spice mixes" while praising various
: Penzey's
blends. I
: guess it's not the packet; it's the price. :)

=============

Naaah. Ordinarily, I'm the one that poo-poos paying bucks
for something you can do at home less expensively... but
when you compare Penzeys prices to local supermarket prices
- Penzeys is definitely cheaper than what I can get at the
stores. Much fresher too. Apparently, the folks that live in
my area don't use any spices other than: salt, some pepper,
and usually only garlic salt (eww). I have recently (2003)
tried Penzeys Sunny Paris and fell in LOVE with it. I
seriously doubt that I could procure all of the ingredients
in that blend cheaper than what I can buy it from them.

Granted, each year we do grow our own basil and sage but for
the life of me, I can NOT grow rosemary. Tried it, tried it,
and tried it again... can you say "dead"? I can't grow it.
It doesn't like me... maybe it knows what's in store for
it...? Turkey, lamb, roasted potatoes...!

Oh, and I can't get Black Sarawak Peppercorns around here,
either. I like it more than the standard Malabar (sp?) and
even better than Tellicherry (!). I recently tried White
Sarawak but didn't like it. <shrug> I was surprised because
in the past, I've always enjoyed white pepper. Must just be
the variety. I like the Sarawak black and the Malabar white.
Who knew? LOL

While I do order a few of the spice blends from Penzeys, to
me, it's not the same as buying one of those little envelope
packages of spice mixes or soup base things from the store.
I suppose most of us just buy things out of habit or what we
grew up with; or even what we did *not* grow up with. With
products from Penzeys I KNOW they're fresh and KNOW that if
I don't like it I can return it. My local store just doesn't
have the product turnover that Penzeys has. Some products I
feel obligated to dust off and check to see if there is a
year or 'use by' date. Uggh! As far as Penzeys return policy
I know about it first hand - I returned the European
Peppercorns (blend of black peppercorns and White Sarawak)
because I didn't like the taste. I asked them if they would
send me the regular Sarawak Black instead. No problem. I was
grinding fresh Sarawak black in about a week's time.

I wish I could get a commission from both Penzeys and Ron
Popeil. I have had some of the best products from both of
them and have no problems telling the world about
it/them. <G>

--
Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

wrote:
:
> [...]

I wish I could get a commission from both Penzeys and Ron
Popeil. I have had some of the best products from both of
them and have no problems telling the world about
it/them. <G>

--
Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

"Frogleg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 8 Mar 2004 20:36:18 -0800, [email protected]
> (Bubbablue) wrote:
>
> >I was looking for a recipe for turkey a few weeks back.
> >Almost every recipe I looked at called for canned soup,
> >pre-packaged spice mixes, and other pre-processed foods.
> >
> >Why is it so difficult for people to cook from scratch??
>
> I found it very amusing that this thread condemns the use
> of "pre-packaged spice mixes" while praising various
> Penzey's blends. I guess it's not the packet; it's the

The pre-packaged spices I object to are the ones that start
off with salt, MSG, thickeners, preservatives, blah, blah,
blah, and then finish up with unnamed spices, artificial
flavorings, etc. Or alleged mixes that are little more than
salt and sugar with other spices that add little but color.

Or things like the powered spaghetti sauce stuff that you're
supposed to add to tomato sauce and it magically turns into
spaghetti sauce.

If somebody wants to mix up a blend of real spices that fit
a certain category, that's just fine with me.

"Frogleg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 8 Mar 2004 20:36:18 -0800, [email protected]
> (Bubbablue) wrote:
>
> >I was looking for a recipe for turkey a few weeks back.
> >Almost every recipe I looked at called for canned soup,
> >pre-packaged spice mixes, and other pre-processed foods.
> >
> >Why is it so difficult for people to cook from scratch??
>
> I found it very amusing that this thread condemns the use
> of "pre-packaged spice mixes" while praising various
> Penzey's blends. I guess it's not the packet; it's the
> price. :)

The pre-packaged spices I object to are the ones that start
off with salt, MSG, thickeners, preservatives, blah, blah,
blah, and then finish up with unnamed spices, artificial
flavorings, etc. Or alleged mixes that are little more than
salt and sugar with other spices that add little but color.

Or things like the powered spaghetti sauce stuff that you're
supposed to add to tomato sauce and it magically turns into
spaghetti sauce.

If somebody wants to mix up a blend of real spices that fit
a certain category, that's just fine with me.

"Charles Gifford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:J5X3c.14634$%[email protected]...

> Kay may be at the San Diego Cook-In in June. Come on down
> and enjoy a margarita and a cigar with her!
>
> Charlie

I would if I were not moving to Japan! Even then I might if
it were held during one of my vacation periods but
unfortunately, June is prime school time over there. But if
you ever have one in August, December, or end of March...let
me know! But please say hello to everyone for me!

rona

--
***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the
inconvenience!***

"Charles Gifford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:J5X3c.14634$%[email protected]...

> Kay may be at the San Diego Cook-In in June. Come on down
> and enjoy a margarita and a cigar with her!
>
> Charlie

I would if I were not moving to Japan! Even then I might if
it were held during one of my vacation periods but
unfortunately, June is prime school time over there. But if
you ever have one in August, December, or end of March...let
me know! But please say hello to everyone for me!

rona

--
***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the
inconvenience!***

"Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Well, as we say here in the frozen Northland (6 degrees
> this morning),

Really? We've been shivering in the mid to high 80s in my
backyard. The northern tip of SD hit 98 a few days ago.
That's a little too much however.

> "That's different." (Hi, Bill!)

Hi Bill!

> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-8-04.

Charlie

"Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Well, as we say here in the frozen Northland (6 degrees
> this morning),

Really? We've been shivering in the mid to high 80s in my
backyard. The northern tip of SD hit 98 a few days ago.
That's a little too much however.

> "That's different." (Hi, Bill!)

Hi Bill!

> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-8-04.

Charlie

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:28:18 -0600, "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Charles Gifford" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:J5X3c.14634$%[email protected]
> thlink.net...
> >

> > Kay may be at the San Diego Cook-In in June. Come on
> > down and enjoy a margarita and a cigar with her!
> >
> > Charlie
> >

> I would if I were not moving to Japan!

What takes you to Japan?

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Charles Gifford" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:J5X3c.14634$%[email protected]
> hlink.net...
> >

> > Kay may be at the San Diego Cook-In in June. Come on
> > down and enjoy a margarita and a cigar with her!
> >
> > Charlie
> >

> I would if I were not moving to Japan! Even then I
> might if it were held during one of my vacation periods
> but unfortunately, June is prime school time over
> there. But if you ever have one in August, December, or
> end of March...let me know! But please say hello to
> everyone for me!
>
> rona

I had forgotten about your move! I'd be happy to say hello
for you! The annual Sandy Eggo Cook-Ins are always in June.
We did have an aberration last year and had an additional
one in October. Used to be a regular circuit, Sandy Eggo in
June, San Francisco in July, L.A. in August, and Humboldt in
September. That left May for Seattle, eh Alan.