Does anybody have a weight on Alex ALX295 rims? (for the pair)

TheFritoBandito

Dec 8, 2005
I am considering a wheel upgrade on my Roubaix elite. I am quite happy with the ALX295's as far as durability, stiffness, etc., but I know they are on the heavy side. I just don't know how heavy, and before laying down $400-800 on Spinergy's or Ksyrium's or something, I would like to know if the weight savings I will gain will be worth the money. Many thanks!

TheFritoBandito said:
I am considering a wheel upgrade on my Roubaix elite. I am quite happy with the ALX295's as far as durability, stiffness, etc., but I know they are on the heavy side. I just don't know how heavy, and before laying down $400-800 on Spinergy's or Ksyrium's or something, I would like to know if the weight savings I will gain will be worth the money. Many thanks!
Dont have info on the rims by themselves(not sure what rims A uses for the 295's) , but for the complete OEM wheelset from:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=roadwheels

Manufacturer------ A-CLASS
Model------------- ALX-295 (Specialized OEM)
Year--------------- 2005
Claimed ------------
Real ---------------1934 g
± ------------------
Front --------------871 g
Rear--------------- 1063 g
Comments : 700C clincher, Shimano freehub, w/out skewers, incl. rim tape

TheFritoBandito said:
If the ALX wheels have held up well and stayed true, you won't notice much performance difference for general riding on flat roads at lower speeds. For serious hill climbing and during accelerations, a lighter weight set of wheels may be noticeable and for high speed cruising on the flats, a deep rim aero wheel would be faster. For durability and stiffness, not much difference unless you are really hard on the wheels. As far was whether it is worth the money, that is for you to decide.

Spinergy wheels have a somewhat poor reputation in the reliability category.