Does anybody know?

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Bernard, Jun 13, 2003.

  1. Bernard

    Bernard Guest

    Hi,

    This week sunday I will go for my first 1/4 Triathlon. I've trained a lot, but now I have not a good
    schedule for this last week. I feel not as strong as the week before. What shall I do? Go very hard
    or slow down in training this week?

    Advice very welcome,

    Bernard

    Tags:

  2. "Bernard" <bernard> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Hi,
    >
    > This week sunday I will go for my first 1/4 Triathlon. I've trained a lot, but now I have not a
    > good schedule for this last week. I feel not as strong as the week before. What shall I do? Go
    > very hard or slow down in training this week?
    >
    > Advice very welcome,
    >
    > Bernard

    Don't push hard this close to your race. I'm not sure what you mean by "not feeling as strong", but
    often people tend to doubt their readiness as a race draws nearer. Trust your training, stick to the
    program, and even if you've missed some of your training schedule, don't try to make up for it in
    the final days. If you don't feel up to snuff because you're sick or getting sick, attempting to
    push through it by training harder can ruin more than just a race. I managed to turn bronchitis into
    exercise induced athsma by doing this, and took 3 months to get over something that would have taken
    1-2 weeks if I hadn't over done it.

    Tom

  3. Jkmsg

    Jkmsg Guest

    "Bernard" <bernard> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > This week sunday I will go for my first 1/4 Triathlon. I've trained a lot, but now I have not a
    > good schedule for this last week. I feel not as strong as the week before. What shall I do? Go
    > very hard or slow down in training this week?
    >
    > Advice very welcome,
    >
    > Bernard

    That's an easy one... SLOW down!... heck, even stop being active a day or two before the race. You
    will not loose any fitness... in fact, you will most likely improve.... get lots of sleep and rest
    (naps are great energy booster's).

    Recovery is a important as training.... in fact, it's the secret to improvement.

    Joe M