Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.soc archive' started by Tgleeman2, Sep 18, 2003.

  1. Tgleeman2

    Tgleeman2 Guest

    Hi to the group,

    Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn? What kind?

    Right now, I am using two, 6 tone, car alarms, set on klaxon and whelp for about 120dB of noise. The
    sound penetrates a car with windows rolled up and air conditioner going. It even scares away the
    local pit bull.

    I'm not "invisible" anymore.

    Ride safely.

    Tom Gleeman San Diego, CA

    Tags:

  2. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Occasionally Air-Zond. Occasionally because they're fragile.

    I use them because they're less troublesome than 'the finger' for an armed rider. The first element
    of common law self-defense is 'be innocent of instigating the altercation'.

    "tgleeman2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi to the group,
    >
    > Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn? What kind?
    >
    > Right now, I am using two, 6 tone, car alarms, set on klaxon and whelp for about 120dB of noise.
    > The sound penetrates a car with windows rolled up
    and
    > air conditioner going. It even scares away the local pit bull.
    >
    > I'm not "invisible" anymore.
    >
    > Ride safely.
    >
    > Tom Gleeman San Diego, CA

  3. Tgleeman2

    Tgleeman2 Guest

    Hi Doug,

    I agree, a finger can get you shot in some places, not to mention it doesn't *prevent* an accident.
    I've had a number of cars try to make a right turn in front of me.

    All it took to stop the car was the same thing cars use, a loud horn. No yelling or screaming. If we
    are going to use the streets, the least we could do is use *some* of the same equipment that cars
    use to prevent an accident.

    Ride safely.

    Tom

    news:[email protected]...

  4. tgleeman2 wrote:

    > Hi to the group,
    >
    > Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn? What kind?
    >
    > Right now, I am using two, 6 tone, car alarms, set on klaxon and whelp for about 120dB of noise.
    > The sound penetrates a car with windows rolled up and air conditioner going. It even scares away
    > the local pit bull.

    I used to use a 'fog horn' (pressured gas cannister with an exponential horn attached), they are
    incredibly loud. Intended for use on boats during low visibility. That was the only thing I ever
    found that got car drivers attention. Problem is that the things get nicked all the time.

  5. Burr

    Burr Guest

    I use a little "Bell" by my right thumb. I think it works great.

    Burr Diamondback Road Bike REI Touring Bike Schwinn City Bike So. California Deserts

    tgleeman2 wrote:
    > Hi to the group,
    >
    > Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn? What kind?
    >
    > Right now, I am using two, 6 tone, car alarms, set on klaxon and whelp for about 120dB of noise.
    > The sound penetrates a car with windows rolled up and air conditioner going. It even scares away
    > the local pit bull.
    >
    > I'm not "invisible" anymore.
    >
    > Ride safely.
    >
    > Tom Gleeman San Diego, CA

  6. Tgleeman2

    Tgleeman2 Guest

    Hi Dr. B.,

    That's the key, finding a horn loud enough to get the drivers attention. Can you imagine using a
    squeezebulb horn to help save your life?

    Take care.

    Tom

    "Dr Engelbert Buxbaum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > tgleeman2 wrote:
    >
    > > Hi to the group,
    > >
    > > Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn? What kind?
    > >
    > > Right now, I am using two, 6 tone, car alarms, set on klaxon and whelp
    for
    > > about 120dB of noise. The sound penetrates a car with windows rolled up
    and
    > > air conditioner going. It even scares away the local pit bull.
    >
    > I used to use a 'fog horn' (pressured gas cannister with an exponential horn attached), they are
    > incredibly loud. Intended for use on boats during low visibility. That was the only thing I ever
    > found that got car drivers attention. Problem is that the things get nicked all the time.

  7. Tgleeman2

    Tgleeman2 Guest

    Hi Burr,

    What caliber is your "Bell" ?

    Tom

    "Burr" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I use a little "Bell" by my right thumb. I think it works great.
    >
    > Burr Diamondback Road Bike REI Touring Bike Schwinn City Bike So. California Deserts
    >

    > tgleeman2 wrote:
    > > Hi to the group,
    > >
    > > Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn? What kind?
    > >
    > > Right now, I am using two, 6 tone, car alarms, set on klaxon and whelp
    for
    > > about 120dB of noise. The sound penetrates a car with windows rolled up
    and
    > > air conditioner going. It even scares away the local pit bull.
    > >
    > > I'm not "invisible" anymore.
    > >
    > > Ride safely.
    > >
    > > Tom Gleeman San Diego, CA

  8. Burr

    Burr Guest

    I don't know. Like we had when we were kids, you push on the thingy on the side and it springs back.
    The "Donger" are to hard to use!!!

    Burr

    tgleeman2 wrote:
    > Hi Burr,
    >
    > What caliber is your "Bell" ?
    >
    > Tom
    >

    > "Burr" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I use a little "Bell" by my right thumb. I think it works great.
    >>
    >>Burr Diamondback Road Bike REI Touring Bike Schwinn City Bike So. California Deserts
    >>

    >>tgleeman2 wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi to the group,
    >>>
    >>>Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn? What kind?
    >>>
    >>>Right now, I am using two, 6 tone, car alarms, set on klaxon and whelp
    >>
    > for
    >
    >>>about 120dB of noise. The sound penetrates a car with windows rolled up
    >>
    > and
    >
    >>>air conditioner going. It even scares away the local pit bull.
    >>>
    >>>I'm not "invisible" anymore.
    >>>
    >>>Ride safely.
    >>>
    >>>Tom Gleeman San Diego, CA

  9. Tgleeman2

    Tgleeman2 Guest

    Hi Burr,

    Careful with that bell. I've seen SUVs slam on their brakes for a bell and almost get in a rear end
    collision. But then again, maybe a driver won't hear it over the din of traffic or a cell phone
    conversation.

    Either way, it's a jungle(or is that *jingle*) out there.