Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn?

Tgleeman2

Guest
Hi to the group,

Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn? What kind?

Right now, I am using two, 6 tone, car alarms, set on klaxon and whelp for about 120dB of noise. The
sound penetrates a car with windows rolled up and air conditioner going. It even scares away the
local pit bull.

I'm not "invisible" anymore.

Ride safely.

Tom Gleeman San Diego, CA

Occasionally Air-Zond. Occasionally because they're fragile.

I use them because they're less troublesome than 'the finger' for an armed rider. The first element
of common law self-defense is 'be innocent of instigating the altercation'.

"tgleeman2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi to the group,
>
> Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn? What kind?
>
> Right now, I am using two, 6 tone, car alarms, set on klaxon and whelp for about 120dB of noise.
> The sound penetrates a car with windows rolled up
and
> air conditioner going. It even scares away the local pit bull.
>
> I'm not "invisible" anymore.
>
> Ride safely.
>
> Tom Gleeman San Diego, CA

Hi Doug,

I agree, a finger can get you shot in some places, not to mention it doesn't *prevent* an accident.
I've had a number of cars try to make a right turn in front of me.

All it took to stop the car was the same thing cars use, a loud horn. No yelling or screaming. If we
are going to use the streets, the least we could do is use *some* of the same equipment that cars
use to prevent an accident.

Ride safely.

Tom

news:[email protected]...

tgleeman2 wrote:

> Hi to the group,
>
> Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn? What kind?
>
> Right now, I am using two, 6 tone, car alarms, set on klaxon and whelp for about 120dB of noise.
> The sound penetrates a car with windows rolled up and air conditioner going. It even scares away
> the local pit bull.

I used to use a 'fog horn' (pressured gas cannister with an exponential horn attached), they are
incredibly loud. Intended for use on boats during low visibility. That was the only thing I ever
found that got car drivers attention. Problem is that the things get nicked all the time.

I use a little "Bell" by my right thumb. I think it works great.

Burr Diamondback Road Bike REI Touring Bike Schwinn City Bike So. California Deserts

tgleeman2 wrote:
> Hi to the group,
>
> Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn? What kind?
>
> Right now, I am using two, 6 tone, car alarms, set on klaxon and whelp for about 120dB of noise.
> The sound penetrates a car with windows rolled up and air conditioner going. It even scares away
> the local pit bull.
>
> I'm not "invisible" anymore.
>
> Ride safely.
>
> Tom Gleeman San Diego, CA

Hi Dr. B.,

That's the key, finding a horn loud enough to get the drivers attention. Can you imagine using a
squeezebulb horn to help save your life?

Take care.

Tom

"Dr Engelbert Buxbaum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> tgleeman2 wrote:
>
> > Hi to the group,
> >
> > Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn? What kind?
> >
> > Right now, I am using two, 6 tone, car alarms, set on klaxon and whelp
for
> > about 120dB of noise. The sound penetrates a car with windows rolled up
and
> > air conditioner going. It even scares away the local pit bull.
>
> I used to use a 'fog horn' (pressured gas cannister with an exponential horn attached), they are
> incredibly loud. Intended for use on boats during low visibility. That was the only thing I ever
> found that got car drivers attention. Problem is that the things get nicked all the time.

Hi Burr,

What caliber is your "Bell" ?

Tom

"Burr" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I use a little "Bell" by my right thumb. I think it works great.
>
> Burr Diamondback Road Bike REI Touring Bike Schwinn City Bike So. California Deserts
>

> tgleeman2 wrote:
> > Hi to the group,
> >
> > Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn? What kind?
> >
> > Right now, I am using two, 6 tone, car alarms, set on klaxon and whelp
for
> > about 120dB of noise. The sound penetrates a car with windows rolled up
and
> > air conditioner going. It even scares away the local pit bull.
> >
> > I'm not "invisible" anymore.
> >
> > Ride safely.
> >
> > Tom Gleeman San Diego, CA

I don't know. Like we had when we were kids, you push on the thingy on the side and it springs back.
The "Donger" are to hard to use!!!

Burr

tgleeman2 wrote:
> Hi Burr,
>
> What caliber is your "Bell" ?
>
> Tom
>

> "Burr" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>I use a little "Bell" by my right thumb. I think it works great.
>>
>>Burr Diamondback Road Bike REI Touring Bike Schwinn City Bike So. California Deserts
>>

>>tgleeman2 wrote:
>>
>>>Hi to the group,
>>>
>>>Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn? What kind?
>>>
>>>Right now, I am using two, 6 tone, car alarms, set on klaxon and whelp
>>
> for
>
>>>about 120dB of noise. The sound penetrates a car with windows rolled up
>>
> and
>
>>>air conditioner going. It even scares away the local pit bull.
>>>
>>>I'm not "invisible" anymore.
>>>
>>>Ride safely.
>>>
>>>Tom Gleeman San Diego, CA

Hi Burr,

Careful with that bell. I've seen SUVs slam on their brakes for a bell and almost get in a rear end
collision. But then again, maybe a driver won't hear it over the din of traffic or a cell phone
conversation.

Either way, it's a jungle(or is that *jingle*) out there.