Does anybody still carry racing freewheels ?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bill K., May 6, 2003.

  1. Bill K.

    Bill K. Guest

    I know that Sram (Sachs) quit producing freewheels. I also heard from a Sram honcho that they even
    threw away all their spare cogs too. I've been using all of my old thread on wheels on my Campy-8
    bike for training. Now that I can't even get replacement cogs, when I start skipping my chain, the
    freewheel is history. I'm set for this year, but is there anything out there besides cheap touring
    freewheels? Yes, I know that I can use the red Wheels MFG spacers to make my old Shimano cassettes
    work with campy-8, but I'm too damn cheap to pitch my old thread-on wheels.

    Tags:

  2. Bill K-<< I'm set for this year, but is there anything out there besides cheap touring freewheels?

    We still have DA freewheels, the best ever made, IMO, in 13-23 and 13-26 ranges, 7s and 6s...no 8s..

    The 7s will work fine with 8s ERGO-

  3. May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris

  4. Can't answer that question, not a racer.

    But here's a tip that will let you streatch the life of your current cogs a bit.

    http://geocities.com/czcorner/mac9.html

    It should work for freewheels as well as cassettes (as long as their not hypeglide)

  5. Bill K.

    Bill K. Guest

    [email protected] (Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris
    >
    > Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

    Thanks, I was thinking of doing this. It would only work on the non-threadded cogs. With Sachs
    splined cogs, there are three or four "splines" that fit onto the freewheel body. One of them is
    asymmetrical. If I grind off that one, I should be able to "flip" the cog. The Sachs cogs also have
    a small notch on the tip of the tooth. If the cog doesn't work well, I can always buy a new Dura Ace
    freewheel. Thanks All