Does anyone else have trouble maintaining a food ratio (eg. 50 30 20)?

juf2m said:
Guess what? Today I stepped on the scale and I've lost 1.5lbs!!! :eek: My faith in the system has been RESTORED!!! :D 6.5lbs to go....That means I've lost 4.5lbs in 3.5 weeks. Not bad. Hopefully I won't pay for the popcorn and ice cream next week!

What is the difference between a jump start and a rolling start?

Well, as mentioned above, I have been on this regime since Sept 8. My BMR is 1400 cals. It's odd, rather than losing steadily each week, it holds for a couple of weeks and then drops some. I'm not complaining, as long as it keeps it up. Let's hope the trend doesn't reverse!
if your bmr was 1400 in september and your weight has been reduced by 1.5, also i guess you have not aged a year nor have you grown in height, but your weight loss will effect your calories required, if your still eating the same amount and doing the same amount, that may be why you ain't loosing quite as much as you are hoping for.

rolling starts.
During these workouts,one has to accelerate through increasing resistance of the very large gears whilst remaining seated and travelling already at a comfortable speed eg 15-20mph Accellerating to 30-35mph.
jump starts.
During these workouts, one has to accelerate through the increasing resistance of the more comfortable to the larger gears, jumping from the seat throwing your body forward and stamping hard on the pedals and applying enough power and speed to the pedals to accellerate from almost a stop position, i find it to be best not to be in the biggest of gears but with enough to drop in gear as i require the need to return to the seat.

beginning to stray from the topic now, so i'm probably going to be in trouble once again.. sorry mod..! these are more track drills but do come in handy when the need to sprint is required.

closesupport said:
if your bmr was 1400 in september and your weight has been reduced by 1.5, also i guess you have not aged a year nor have you grown in height, but your weight loss will effect your calories required, if your still eating the same amount and doing the same amount, that may be why you ain't loosing quite as much as you are hoping for.
I love the way I am punished for my good work by having my BMR LOWERED as a result of losing weight. If that isn't unmotivating, I don't know what is! :( She told me never to eat less than 1500 or I would lower my metabolism though.

rolling starts.
During these workouts,one has to accelerate through increasing resistance of the very large gears whilst remaining seated and travelling already at a comfortable speed eg 15-20mph Accellerating to 30-35mph.
So in both cases you start as normal but it's how you gain speed that's different? I don't think I am physically capable of riding faster than 20mph. 35 K maybe, but 35mph? No way!!

juf2m said:
I love the way I am punished for my good work by having my BMR LOWERED as a result of losing weight. If that isn't unmotivating, I don't know what is! :( She told me never to eat less than 1500 or I would lower my metabolism though.

So in both cases you start as normal but it's how you gain speed that's different? I don't think I am physically capable of riding faster than 20mph. 35 K maybe, but 35mph? No way!!
your BMR changes as you age grow in height or loose or add on pounds, since the formula for working out BMR is

BMR = 655 + (9.6 X weight in kilos) + (1.8 X height in cm) - (4.7 X age in years).

then multiply it by your activity level. really for best results like when you intend on dieting and you stick to your deffecit of -300/500kcals its best to know your BMR to start from. this may change each week.

I get annoyed when i see people state such like in mc donnalds they claim that a mans daily calorie intake is 2500 for healthy active people, now i can burn that in 3hrs on longer rides 3985kcal or so genating an average 385watts over that period of time.

can you imagine what trouble i would get myself into if i stuck to that calorie intake, with my energy expenditure being so high. i would sure as hell feel very hungry all the time.

thats where the calorie counter site comes in handy for working out energy expenditure over periods of time, thats really where one would really benefit from a calorie counter on a bike, so to ensure that reserves that where depleted where stored again for later stages.

unless you where a porker to start with, then maybe you could stick to a normal activity level for active and very active people.

works for me ;)

juf2m said:

rolling starts you may be travelling at 10 -15mph then without standing remaining in your seat in the biggest of gears accellerate as fast as you can over 10-20 seconds, then resuming speed.

this helps build strength in your legs i find, doing jumps starts you just spin like crazy for the same length of time as fast as you can until you feel thats as far as you can go, you can also do jump starts at faster speeds to improve sprinting, plus its part of tactics to beable to get up to speed as soon as you see your aponnent make the change and accellerate, usually around
2-300metres. but jump starts are usally started at much lower speeds than rolling starts.

i try to avoid going from stop, to clip in, since one leg is usallly on the floor and i hate removing my feet from clips once i'm clipped in.

juf2m said:
Guess what? Today I stepped on the scale and I've lost 1.5lbs!!! :eek: My faith in the system has been RESTORED!!! :D 6.5lbs to go....That means I've lost 4.5lbs in 3.5 weeks. Not bad. Hopefully I won't pay for the popcorn and ice cream next week!

What is the difference between a jump start and a rolling start?

Well, as mentioned above, I have been on this regime since Sept 8. My BMR is 1400 cals. It's odd, rather than losing steadily each week, it holds for a couple of weeks and then drops some. I'm not complaining, as long as it keeps it up. Let's hope the trend doesn't reverse!
what weight are you now? and what would you best describe yourself as a fast recreational rider, or a casual rider.

but the best bit of info i have ever heard is if you have a sweet tooth and craving, give in indulge occassionally in moderation, or your sure to be setting yourself up for a binge at some point. :D

if you want to remove 500kcal perday, then make sensible eating changes, the first 250kcal should be by pasing up on calories and the other 250kcal removed through exercise.

this proceedure is slow but very rewarding to loose 1lb of fat you need to burn some 3,500kcal more than you consume, this equates to 500kcal perday resticted by doing a person will be able to loose 10 pounds in 2 months.

closesupport said:
what weight are you now? and what would you best describe yourself as a fast recreational rider, or a casual rider.
I am 136.5 at the moment. I would describe myself as a recreational rider that can go fast when pushing herself! LOL!

but the best bit of info i have ever heard is if you have a sweet tooth and craving, give in indulge occassionally in moderation, or your sure to be setting yourself up for a binge at some point. :D
You are so right about this. It used to be that if I were craving a certain sweet thing, I'd try to substitute by gobbling up yogurt, fruit, whatever good thing I could think of...and then I'd eat the original craving food anyway! It's better just to have the real thing and be really satisfied.

this proceedure is slow but very rewarding to loose 1lb of fat you need to burn some 3,500kcal more than you consume, this equates to 500kcal perday resticted by doing a person will be able to loose 10 pounds in 2 months.
Well so far I've lost 4.5 lbs in one month, so I am happy with that, I just hope that it will keep it up, because it will slow down further as I lose.

juf2m said:
Well so far I've lost 4.5 lbs in one month, so I am happy with that, I just hope that it will keep it up, because it will slow down further as I lose.
IT WILL SLOW IF YOU FORGET TO AMEND YOUR TOTAL CALORIE INTAKE AS YOU LOOSE WEIGHT. Other than that good luck keep up the good work and don't go bingeing, keep it to moderation... lol i'd like to help you more, but so far looks to me that your doing a great job, keep up the good work.