Does Anyone Else Like Night Bike Rides?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by JamesAA, Jul 22, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

While there is something to be said for cy ling at night, the roads are less busy for one thing, I don't tend to cycle late at night anymore because of the safety aspect of it more than anything.

The roads might be clearer, but it only takes one driver to not be concentrating and do you some damage. Even if you're wearing the right equipment, a bicycle at night is still easy to miss if your a car driver.

2. Belovedad

Belovedad New Member

I feel way less safer riding at night. I also don't have the best vision so it is harder for me. I prefer to ride in an active environment. The only thing I need to do is make sure I am aware. I guess it depends on where you are riding though.

3. sharkantropo

sharkantropo Member

I safe to ride at night when roads are well lit and traffic is quite low. But I don't know, lone roads are a bit creepy and I always have the sudden feeling that something mean will appear sooner or later.

4. Pixie_Dust

Pixie_Dust New Member

I haven't really experienced much of night riding. It can be okay if the traffic is low and the roads're well lit. However, I still have a bit of fear to ride during night hours as I'm not that confident in the dark. It depends on the surrounding of course.

5. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

I live near Detroit, so no, I don't ride at night, but there are a lot of people around here who do. It seems almost as if nighttime riding survival depends on stealth, as most of the late evening bikers I've seen refuse to put anything reflective on themselves or their bikes while riding. I don't know how many times my husband and I have been driving along and abruptly come across someone on a bike wearing dark clothing, riding a dark bike, with no headlight or reflectors of any kind. So far, we haven't had any near misses but that could easily happen. I've always thought that glow-in-the-dark accessories were essential for night riding, but here in my neck of the woods, that's not the case, apparently.

6. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

When I use to live in Bakersfield Ca the traffic was horrific on surface streets all day long, so I would commute to my office in the morning, then at night when i was done which was around 8ish I would go on a long bike ride when everyone else was pretty much home from work, plus it was cooler in the evening and night hours.

7. cycle93

cycle93 Member

I really do.

When I was working almost every night a few years back, I always biked home in darkness. I loved how peaceful the town gets once everybody is resting and the roads are not full with cars and trucks but with people walking slowly and dogs out on their night adventures.

8. Jcycle

Jcycle Active Member

I do, in the proper attire and with the right gear. People that wear dark clothing and or do not use lights drive me nuts. People that ride in the dark without lights, reflectors, and visible clothing are a menace to themselves and to others on the road.

9. neednoexcuse

neednoexcuse Member

Actually, I love night bike rides. Well, it's much better than the day-time heat. You don't need to face the sun during the night, LOL! I love night time ride because of the cool temperature. The environment is also very silent during night time. That are just few of many pros of riding you bike at night-time.

10. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

It sounds pretty dangerous to be honest. With lesser traffic and lesser pedestrians, meaning cars would be much faster and wouldn't worry about obstacles on the road, and at night thieves also lurk, waiting for the lone biker and would probably attempt to steal the bike, or even more. You have to cycle through the city streets, where there are tons of lights, and honestly you wouldn't be having as much fun, because the noise of the city streets and the lights would ruin the ambience of the night.

11. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I haven't done many of those but yes I do. There is nothing like riding after a hot day at the cool of night. It's much better then any air conditioner you will find.

12. Djordje87

Djordje87 Member

• I like these in summer. The heat of the day is sometimes too much for me since I do not like it a lot. The breeze and cooler air is always welcome when I ride in summer so night is perfect solution. I often go to a local open Spa. There is a great park with thermal water all around and you can just go in and relax in the water. It is really great at night.

13. warrengeb

warrengeb Member

The weather at night is usually low and that is why I love to riding my bike at night. I really love the night environment and I enjoy the scenes while riding at night. I don't know why so many people don't like to ride bike at night. That's just my opinion.

14. bikestudio

bikestudio New Member

Here i seen One Bicycle which is meant for night ride. I like this bike
    Its an amazing looks bike

15. JoshSmith

JoshSmith New Member

I tend to ride alot during the night because of my sleeping schedule. I dont have to work until the afternoon and get out really late so I have alot of time on my hands after I get out of the work. By the time I get home it is dark and I want to get some exercise. It is just so peaceful riding your bike at night, I really enjoy it.

16. bikestudio

bikestudio New Member

Ohh Its Very Good to see as you. You are riding bike in night to come out from your work so its the best thing you do as a busy schedule Gud luck ...

17. bikestudio

bikestudio New Member

Yes, I morning their also a lot of traffic, sometimes weather of city is not so good in day time. so its a very good idea to ride a bike at night...

18. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Well, you're certainly going to be seen riding that bike at night, that's for sure! I wouldn't say it's exactly my kind of bike and I wouldn't personally fancy riding around on that but each to their own as the saying goes!

Night riding is all about the safety aspect for me and if you are cycling at night for whatever reason,be that de to the shift pattern you work or simply because you prefer it, the main thing you need to do is make sure you are well lit up and you stay as safe as you possibly can. Car drivers are more than capable of taking out a cyclist during the day because they aren't looking around properly so at night that danger can double.

bikestudio likes this.
  19. warrengeb

warrengeb Member

You caught the good point. I think traffic is also one of the big factors that make people like to ride the bike at night. I also group ride at night with my friends. In my opinion, a group ride is interesting than the single ride. I know many people will agree with me.

bikestudio likes this.
  20. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Group riding at night is obviously a little safer than riding solo as there's always safety in numbers and as far as the traffic is concerned then it's going to be a lot quieter on the roads. You do still have to be careful though as riding in a group can lull you into a false sense of security and as I'm sure we all know, it only takes one bad driver to cause an accident.