Does Anyone Else Like Night Bike Rides?

JamesAA

Aug 10, 2013
Here in the bay area, there's so much traffic during the day. I feel I am actually safer at night. Less cars, I'm more visible because of the lights, and I don't have to worry about driver's not seeing me due to being blinded by a low horizon sun.

While I enjoy rides at night when things are died down a bit, I find any serious physical activity before bed messes up my sleep schedule. I definitely get the appeal though. As long as it works for you and you do things safely, go for it!

A few years ago I was working 2nd shift. So, I cycled at night every day. Had to acknowledge the realities of that. In addition to an under saddle tool bag with all the requisite toolage I had a strap on headlight. Only used it once, but it was really a great addition. Was able to change out a tube in short order.

At the time I lived rural. Was .5 mile from the Natchez Trace Parkway in mid-TN. Used to do night rides frequently. Nothing quite like it. Night riding is great.

Once night in mid-October I saw a wolverine while on the Parkway. It was unmistakable. Asa I arrived home I did an images search and sure enough I'd seen one. Contacted the Gulo society. They told me it had probably escaped from a private, illegal owner as they don't go that far south. Felt and still feel blessed. It was headed north, btw.

It all depends on the route. When I was working the evening laundry shift for a while I was biking home between 10-11 at night on the main road in town. It was very quiet, but well light as it is a main road. I felt very safe on that route because of the good lighting, the relatively flat road, so I could go pretty fast if I needed to, and the good quality road surface so I didn't have to worry about unexpected potholes I couldn't see coming. On another route I have taken after dark, I did not like it at all because of the road condition. It was not an uncomfortable neighborhood to be in at that hour, but because the street lights are set for residential, the road is not that well lit, and it is not in good condition at all. In the day time I carefully make my way through some of the rougher spots, but at night I was not happy about the fact that I could not see where the big bumps and potholes were, so I had to go very, very slow to avoid jarring myself and my bike it I guessed wrong and hit one.

welshdude3 said:
Once night in mid-October I saw a wolverine while on the Parkway. It was unmistakable. Asa I arrived home I did an images search and sure enough I'd seen one. Contacted the Gulo society. They told me it had probably escaped from a private, illegal owner as they don't go that far south. Felt and still feel blessed. It was headed north, btw.
That's nuts! It made my chuckle because I too have encountered all types of creatures here on the outskirts of the silicon valley (foothills) which you'd otherwise have no idea lived in the area during the day.

It's about 40 Celsius during the day here now, so yeah, I do enjoy night rides. :D

DancingLady said:
...On another route I have taken after dark, I did not like it at all because of the road condition. It was not an uncomfortable neighborhood to be in at that hour, but because the street lights are set for residential, the road is not that well lit, and it is not in good condition at all. In the day time I carefully make my way through some of the rougher spots, but at night I was not happy about the fact that I could not see where the big bumps and potholes were, so I had to go very, very slow to avoid jarring myself and my bike it I guessed wrong and hit one.
Maybe try one of these. They are SO bright they'll give one plenty of reaction time. For myself my headlights vary between 150-360 lumens. But, I'm really familiar with my local terrain, so I can get by with less. Ambient lighting can play tricks if not quite bright enough.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008TWJSGS/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1437664334&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=600+lumens+bicycle+headlight

For a change I think I may have to consider changing the time that I normally go out biking. I think night time would be a good option especially when there is not much traffic on the roads and less activities going on. I just have to be careful because I know it is quite unsafe at night from where I am at

Do I like night rides? Hell yes I do!

There is nothing more peaceful to me than having a little ride around in the darkness. Usually around the neighbourhood streets and in the centre of town. There's just something about the lights and being the only one around that's really nice to me. My sleeping pattern is a little messed up, but it's worth it for the feeling.

JamesAA said:
Where's that? 40 C is pretty damn hot!

South... Subtropical... :D

Yeah dude... I use "Nosferatu Grade" sunblock and still get Sun burns. :D

Not to mention the AC bills...

Cycling in the middle of the day sucks major ass.

To answer the first question: Awwwww, yea.

I prefer it to riding in the day in every way possible. Far less traffic, better tempeatures, night creatures (human & not), & a blanket (sometimes) of stars as you ride. Always been my preferred time to ride. Regardless of possible criminal activity. The fear doesn't outweigh the joy for me.

I never like riding at night because I fear causing an accident. My bike's light is not bright enough to see through the dark. I do avoid that completely.

Pick up some high powered LED lights. You can pick them up for pretty cheap if you shop around and once you get out in the middle of the night you will not regret the experience. It is a fantastic feeling.

Yes, I love riding my bike at night, especially when the moon is bright. I am a hopeless romantic. Full moon seems ideal to me for nightly outings, especially balmy, tropical nights. I usually like to combine those rides with a nice cup of coffee in a park where I can sit under a tree and dream a little... and let go of all my daily preoccupations and tensions.

Oh yes, I love such type of night rides. While riding at night, it's totally different, the scenery changes so much and you feel the breeze of wind following you're back.

Oh yes, I love such type of night rides. While riding at night, it's totally different, the scenery changes so much and you feel the breeze of wind following you're back.
The breeze is the best part of night ride and I love it. It calms my mind.