Does anyone ever make "city chicken"?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Wayne Boatwright, Feb 8, 2006.

  1. Do you use veal, pork, or both? Recipes? (I don't have one.)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

    Tags:

  2. Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > Do you use veal, pork, or both? Recipes? (I don't have one.)
    >
    > --

    City chicken?

  3. itsjoannotjoann wrote:
    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >
    >>Do you use veal, pork, or both? Recipes? (I don't have one.)
    >>
    >>--

    > City chicken?

    pork and veal, made up to reselble chicken

    --

    saerah

    http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

    email:
    anisaerah at s b c global.net

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  4. On Wed 08 Feb 2006 09:43:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    itsjoannotjoann?

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >> Do you use veal, pork, or both? Recipes? (I don't have one.)
    >>
    >> --

    > City chicken?

    Supposedly, at a time when chicken was much less expensive and not as readily
    available in the city as it was in the country, cubes of pork and veal were
    threaded on wooden skewers, then breaded and fried. It's the details I don't
    have. Anyway, it was supposed to resemble chicken drumsticks. What I've
    eaten has been delicious.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  5. Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Wed 08 Feb 2006 09:43:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    > itsjoannotjoann?
    >

    >>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >>
    >>>Do you use veal, pork, or both? Recipes? (I don't have one.)
    >>>
    >>>--

    >>City chicken?

    > Supposedly, at a time when chicken was much less expensive and not as readily
    > available in the city as it was in the country, cubes of pork and veal were
    > threaded on wooden skewers, then breaded and fried. It's the details I don't
    > have. Anyway, it was supposed to resemble chicken drumsticks. What I've
    > eaten has been delicious.

    The only time I've had it was at my husband's former boss' wedding. It
    was yummy, but I was distracted by this big dance thing they had. I
    guess its a Polish thing or something. I wouldn't know, heh.

    --

    saerah

    http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

    email:
    anisaerah at s b c global.net

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  6. On Wed 08 Feb 2006 09:53:13p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sarah
    bennett?

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >> On Wed 08 Feb 2006 09:43:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    >> itsjoannotjoann?

    >>>City chicken?

    >> Supposedly, at a time when chicken was much less expensive and not as
    >> readily available in the city as it was in the country, cubes of pork
    >> and veal were threaded on wooden skewers, then breaded and fried. It's
    >> the details I don't have. Anyway, it was supposed to resemble chicken
    >> drumsticks. What I've eaten has been delicious.
    >>

    > The only time I've had it was at my husband's former boss' wedding. It
    > was yummy, but I was distracted by this big dance thing they had. I
    > guess its a Polish thing or something. I wouldn't know, heh.

    Could be. I occasionally would have it when I lived in the Cleveland, OH
    area which has large European ethnic pockets.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  7. ms. tonya

    ms. tonya Guest

  8. Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Wed 08 Feb 2006 09:43:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    > itsjoannotjoann?
    >
    > > City chicken?

    > Supposedly, at a time when chicken was much less expensive and not as readily
    > available in the city as it was in the country, cubes of pork and veal were
    > threaded on wooden skewers, then breaded and fried. It's the details I don't
    > have. Anyway, it was supposed to resemble chicken drumsticks. What I've
    > eaten has been delicious.

    Hmmm, I've never heard of it. Learn something new everyday!

  9. Carol Garbo

    Carol Garbo Guest

    Re: City Chicken
    Gosh, that brings back memories; I had almost forgotten about it. My
    mom used veal as I recall. Unfortunately, I never got her recipe.
    Carol

    Our life may not always be the party we would have chosen, but while we
    are here, we may as well dance!

  10. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > Do you use veal, pork, or both? Recipes? (I don't have one.)

    From the descriptions I've read it would be cheaper to just make chicken :)

    Jill (who loves veal scaloppini but can't afford veal most of the time)

  11. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On 9 Feb 2006 05:11:33 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

    >Do you use veal, pork, or both? Recipes? (I don't have one.)

    I make it a few times a year, from the JOC recipe. I use pork
    exclusively. Screw the threading it onto skewers, though.

    -sw

  12. That's about it. Cubed and breaded veal and pork on a skewer, browned
    and roasted.
    Mom's the master on this one. You're probably right on the Polish
    connection, Sarah.

  13. Audrey

    Audrey Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in
    message
    news:[email protected]
    > Do you use veal, pork, or both? Recipes? (I don't have one.)
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    > ____________________
    >
    > BIOYA

    It's been a long time since I've made these mostly because pork
    is so dry now. The basic recipe is quite simple. Cube pork and
    veal (about 1" cubes) and alternate the cubes on rather thick
    5-6" wooden skewers. Roll in seasoned flour, then in beaten egg,
    then in cracker crumbs. Allow to set up and then brown in the
    frying pan, cover and steam for about 15 minutes.

    My kids loved these and I made them often. Last time I wanted to
    make them I couldn't get the proper skewers from the butcher so
    used regular bamboo skewers and the pork was dry and tasteless.
    Won't make them again unless I can get some "old fashioned" pork.

    Audrey

  14. On Wed 08 Feb 2006 10:46:32p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >> Do you use veal, pork, or both? Recipes? (I don't have one.)

    > From the descriptions I've read it would be cheaper to just make chicken :)
    >
    > Jill (who loves veal scaloppini but can't afford veal most of the time)

    Well, maybe cheaper, but that's not the point.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  15. On Thu 09 Feb 2006 07:57:47a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Audrey?

    > "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in
    > message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Do you use veal, pork, or both? Recipes? (I don't have one.)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Wayne Boatwright o¿o ____________________
    >>
    >> BIOYA

    > It's been a long time since I've made these mostly because pork
    > is so dry now. The basic recipe is quite simple. Cube pork and
    > veal (about 1" cubes) and alternate the cubes on rather thick
    > 5-6" wooden skewers. Roll in seasoned flour, then in beaten egg,
    > then in cracker crumbs. Allow to set up and then brown in the
    > frying pan, cover and steam for about 15 minutes.
    >
    > My kids loved these and I made them often. Last time I wanted to
    > make them I couldn't get the proper skewers from the butcher so
    > used regular bamboo skewers and the pork was dry and tasteless.
    > Won't make them again unless I can get some "old fashioned" pork.
    >
    > Audrey

    Thanks, Audrey.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  16. Nancy1

    Nancy1 Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Wed 08 Feb 2006 09:43:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    > itsjoannotjoann?
    >

    > > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > >> Do you use veal, pork, or both? Recipes? (I don't have one.)
    > >>
    > >> --

    > > City chicken?

    > Supposedly, at a time when chicken was much less expensive and not as readily
    > available in the city as it was in the country, cubes of pork and veal were
    > threaded on wooden skewers, then breaded and fried. It's the details I don't
    > have. Anyway, it was supposed to resemble chicken drumsticks. What I've
    > eaten has been delicious.
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    > ____________________

    It was just cut into cubes and put close together on skewers - my mom
    liked to make it - always used veal. I don't recall that she tried to
    make them look like drumsticks....in the 40s and early 50s, it was
    cheaper to use veal than chicken, unless one lived on a farm or had
    access to a farmer who would dress and sell chickens.

    N.

  17. Nancy1

    Nancy1 Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > > Do you use veal, pork, or both? Recipes? (I don't have one.)

    > From the descriptions I've read it would be cheaper to just make chicken :)
    >
    > Jill (who loves veal scaloppini but can't afford veal most of the time)

    Now, yes. Then, no. I think my BH & G cookbooks have a recipe in
    them. There's nothing to the "recipe," really - cubes of veal, packed
    tightly on a skewer, dipped in egg or whatever, fine bread or cracker
    crumbs, and fried.

    N.

  18. Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > Do you use veal, pork, or both? Recipes? (I don't have one.)
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    > ____________________
    >
    > BIOYA

    When I was growing up we could get it at the butcher
    shop already made up. It was always veal and pork.
    Nowadays the supermarkets have it but it is just pork
    and they give you the cubed pork and some wooden
    skewers and you have to do it yourself.

    My mother made it by coating the skewers of meat with
    seasoned flour, then browning them in a skillet and
    then adding water and a lid and cooking them until
    done. The water made a sort of gravy.

    Kate

  19. Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > On Wed 08 Feb 2006 09:43:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    > itsjoannotjoann?
    >

    > > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > >> Do you use veal, pork, or both? Recipes? (I don't have one.)
    > >>
    > >> --

    > > City chicken?

    > Supposedly, at a time when chicken was much less expensive

    I think you mean "much *more* expensive"! At one time chicken
    was too expensive for people to buy except for on special
    occasions. Pork and veal were cheap, thus the invention of
    city chicken.

    Kate

  20. Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > On Wed 08 Feb 2006 09:53:13p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sarah
    > bennett?
    >
    > > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > >> On Wed 08 Feb 2006 09:43:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    > >> itsjoannotjoann?

    > >> Supposedly, at a time when chicken was much less expensive and not as
    > >> readily available in the city as it was in the country, cubes of pork
    > >> and veal were threaded on wooden skewers, then breaded and fried. It's
    > >> the details I don't have. Anyway, it was supposed to resemble chicken
    > >> drumsticks. What I've eaten has been delicious.
    > >>

    > > The only time I've had it was at my husband's former boss' wedding. It
    > > was yummy, but I was distracted by this big dance thing they had. I
    > > guess its a Polish thing or something. I wouldn't know, heh.
    > >

    > Could be. I occasionally would have it when I lived in the Cleveland, OH
    > area which has large European ethnic pockets.

    It was big in Pittsburgh. In fact, I always thought it was
    a Pittsburgh thing.

    Kate