Does anyone ever make "city chicken"?

Kate Connally wrote:

> > Could be. I occasionally would have it when I lived in the Cleveland, OH
> > area which has large European ethnic pockets.

> It was big in Pittsburgh. In fact, I always thought it was
> a Pittsburgh thing.
>
> Kate

I dunno - we had it even out here in mid-country, in the 40s and 50s.
LOL.

N.

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 9 Feb 2006 05:11:33 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Do you use veal, pork, or both? Recipes? (I don't have one.)

> I make it a few times a year, from the JOC recipe. I use pork
> exclusively. Screw the threading it onto skewers, though.
>
> -sw

Do you mean screw it onto skewers? LOL. It isn't "city chicken," if
it isn't on skewers. Sez me.

N.

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Do you use veal, pork, or both? Recipes? (I don't have one.)
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright o¿o
> ____________________

We always refer to pigeons as "city chickens" and no.. I don't cook them.
Ewww....

--
Syssi

On Wed 08 Feb 2006 10:39:08p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Carol Garbo?

> Re: City Chicken
> Gosh, that brings back memories; I had almost forgotten about it. My
> mom used veal as I recall. Unfortunately, I never got her recipe.
> Carol

It's good stuff, Carol. I've since found a few recipes on the web, so will
give it a try.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

On Thu 09 Feb 2006 09:08:26a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Kate
Connally?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> On Wed 08 Feb 2006 09:53:13p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sarah
>> bennett?

>> > The only time I've had it was at my husband's former boss' wedding.
>> > It was yummy, but I was distracted by this big dance thing they had.
>> > I guess its a Polish thing or something. I wouldn't know, heh.
>> >

>> Could be. I occasionally would have it when I lived in the Cleveland,
>> OH area which has large European ethnic pockets.

> It was big in Pittsburgh. In fact, I always thought it was
> a Pittsburgh thing.

I think it was just as big in Cleveland, but then we're "neighbors". <g>

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

On Thu 09 Feb 2006 02:06:14p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy1?

> Steve Wertz wrote:
>> On 9 Feb 2006 05:11:33 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
>> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Do you use veal, pork, or both? Recipes? (I don't have one.)

>> I make it a few times a year, from the JOC recipe. I use pork
>> exclusively. Screw the threading it onto skewers, though.
>>
>> -sw

> Do you mean screw it onto skewers? LOL. It isn't "city chicken," if
> it isn't on skewers. Sez me.

And you sez right!

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

On Thu 09 Feb 2006 03:49:44p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Syssi?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Do you use veal, pork, or both? Recipes? (I don't have one.)
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright o¿o ____________________

> We always refer to pigeons as "city chickens" and no.. I don't cook them.
> Ewww....

You might have this in the UK. It's really very good.

Pigeon Pie

4-5 pigeons, drawn
salt and pepper
250g/8oz stewing beef
250g/8oz shortcrust pastry
beaten egg to glaze
2 tsp cornflour
300ml/10fl oz stock

1. preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2. Joint the birds into two breast joints and two leg joints each and stew
the rest of the carcass in a little water to make stock for the gravy.
3. Cut the beef into small pieces and line a deep 20cm/8in pie dish with
these.
4. Lay the pigeon joints on top, cover with water, add salt and pepper,
then cover the pie dish with greased paper or aluminium foil. Place in the
oven and simmer for 1½ hours.
5. Remove from the oven and raise oven temperature to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
6. Cover the pie with the shortcrust pastry, brush the top with beaten egg,
put back into the oven and bake until the pastry is golden brown.
7. Make a gravy by mixing 10g/2tsp cornflour with a little cold water and
add to 300ml/10fl oz of the warmed stock. Allow to thicken while stirring,
season and serve with the pie

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

On Wed 08 Feb 2006 10:06:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ms. tonya?

> Link is simliar to the city chicken made years ago @ restaurant I
> worked, sorry can't remember exactly how owner made it but pork was
> always used.
>
> It wasn't a good seller and it was not a favorite of mine either.
>
> http://www.skweezer.net/s.aspx/2/recipes.robbiehaf.com/C/224.htm

Thank you for the link!

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

On 9 Feb 2006 13:06:14 -0800, "Nancy1" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Steve Wertz wrote:
>> On 9 Feb 2006 05:11:33 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
>> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Do you use veal, pork, or both? Recipes? (I don't have one.)

>> I make it a few times a year, from the JOC recipe. I use pork
>> exclusively. Screw the threading it onto skewers, though.

>Do you mean screw it onto skewers? LOL. It isn't "city chicken," if
>it isn't on skewers. Sez me.

Contrary to popular belief (and the title of the dish), the dish
doesn't taste any less like chicken if you don't thread (or screw)
the chunks onto skewers.

-sw

"Kate Connally" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> Do you use veal, pork, or both? Recipes? (I don't have one.)
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright o¿o
>> ____________________
>>
>> BIOYA

> When I was growing up we could get it at the butcher
> shop already made up. It was always veal and pork.
> Nowadays the supermarkets have it but it is just pork
> and they give you the cubed pork and some wooden
> skewers and you have to do it yourself.
>
> My mother made it by coating the skewers of meat with
> seasoned flour, then browning them in a skillet and
> then adding water and a lid and cooking them until
> done. The water made a sort of gravy.
>
> Kate

I remember it being some sort of ground meat mixture on a stick with some
sort of crumb coating. We got them pre-made from the local butcher, and I
loved them as a kid. Maybe there were bigger chunks, but it wasn't like a
coated shishkabob thing.