Does anyone have actual measurements of a Dura Ace 7700 freehub?

Thomas Hood

Guest
The values in the spoke-calc spreadsheet are a nonsense (as most of
the values in there are...)

Thanks,

Thomas Hood

On May 31, 2:48 pm, Thomas Hood <[email protected]> wrote:
> The values in the spoke-calc spreadsheet are a nonsense (as most of
> the values in there are...)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thomas Hood

Uhhhh... maybe for Dura Ace... I've only used the Campy values and
those are spot on... And why would you need to know the freehub
dimensions - it has nothing to do with the spoke length calc. Now the
hub body dimensions, on the other hand....

Before you look and sound stupid, think about what you say/write....

D'ohBoy

On May 31, 9:15 pm, D'ohBoy <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 31, 2:48 pm, Thomas Hood <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > The values in the spoke-calc spreadsheet are a nonsense (as most of
> > the values in there are...)

> > Thanks,

> > Thomas Hood

> Uhhhh... maybe for Dura Ace... I've only used the Campy values and
> those are spot on... And why would you need to know the freehub
> dimensions - it has nothing to do with the spoke length calc. Now the
> hub body dimensions, on the other hand....

Oh please! 'Freehub' is the term Shimano themselves use to describe it
(
http://tinyurl.com/2ogjmf ). Jargon it might be, but 'freehub' was
entirely unambiguous in that context.

The spreadsheet calculation functions are useful, the data is not.
I've only measured three hubs: an STX hub, an Ultegra 6500 and an XTR
M965 with flange spacings all ~54mm respectively which are listed as
60.6, 56, and 58.4 respectively.

> Before you look and sound stupid, think about what you say/write....
>
> D'ohBoy

Indeed.

Tom

On May 31, 1:48 pm, Thomas Hood <[email protected]> wrote:
> The values in the spoke-calc spreadsheet are a nonsense (as most of
> the values in there are...)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thomas Hood

Ya mean flange diameter and center to flange?

45 and 19, I'm pretty sure but I'm at home. Add 2mm for the left side
spokes, 1mm for left side and a OC rim.

On May 31, 12:48 pm, Thomas Hood <[email protected]> wrote:
> The values in the spoke-calc spreadsheet are a nonsense (as most of
> the values in there are...)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thomas Hood

I'm not clear on which spoke length spreadsheet you are trying to use,
but this one has worked perfectly for me for every wheel I have built.
I also usually use @ least 1 other method as a double check, before I
order spokes, since there is no return of spokes.

http://sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm

Hope this helps, John

On May 31, 2:48 pm, Thomas Hood <[email protected]> wrote:
> The values in the spoke-calc spreadsheet are a nonsense (as most of
> the values in there are...)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thomas Hood

Uhhhh... maybe for Dura Ace... I've only used the Campy values and
those are spot on... And why would you need to know the freehub
dimensions - it has nothing to do with the spoke length calc. Now the
hub body dimensions, on the other hand....

Before you look and sound stupid, think about what you say/write....

D'ohBoy

On May 31, 2:48 pm, Thomas Hood <[email protected]> wrote:
> The values in the spoke-calc spreadsheet are a nonsense (as most of
> the values in there are...)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thomas Hood

Uhhhh... maybe for Dura Ace... I've only used the Campy values and
those are spot on... And why would you need to know the freehub
dimensions - it has nothing to do with the spoke length calc. Now the
hub body dimensions, on the other hand....

Before you look and sound stupid, think about what you say/write....

D'ohBoy

On May 31, 2:48 pm, Thomas Hood <[email protected]> wrote:
> The values in the spoke-calc spreadsheet are a nonsense (as most of
> the values in there are...)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thomas Hood

Uhhhh... maybe for Dura Ace... I've only used the Campy values and
those are spot on... And why would you need to know the freehub
dimensions - it has nothing to do with the spoke length calc. Now the
hub body dimensions, on the other hand....

Before you look and sound stupid, think about what you say/write....

D'ohBoy

On May 31, 1:48 pm, Thomas Hood <[email protected]> wrote:
> The values in the spoke-calc spreadsheet are a nonsense (as most of
> the values in there are...)

My measurements:
Hub flange spacing = 54.2 mm.
Hole PATTERN diameter = 44.0 mm.
Hub HOLE diameter (each) = 2.3 mm.
Axle length (between dropouts) = 130.3 mm.
Hub flange to inside of dropout = 47.0 mm.

DR

Thomas Hood wrote:
> The values in the spoke-calc spreadsheet are a nonsense (as most of
> the values in there are...)

Spocalc is off for the 7700 hubs, I don't know about other hubs.

I measured 34.4 mm for the distance from the center of the left flange to
the center of the hub, and 19.7 mm for the right flange dimension. I also
measured 44.0 mm for the diameter of the spoke hole pattern (same as
spocalc). Even if you use the spocalc listed values for the 7700, you won't
be far off in the spoke length calculation (0.1 or 0.2 mm) because spoke
hole pattern diameter is correct.

The 7700 front hub dimensions are also different from the "Shimano Dura-Ace
low flange" values listed in spocalc. I measured 71 mm for the flange
spacing vs. the 74 mm listed in the spocalc.

Andrew

On Jun 1, 9:59 am, "Andrew Lee" <whatsupandrewathotmaildotcom> wrote:
> Thomas Hood wrote:
> > The values in the spoke-calc spreadsheet are a nonsense (as most of
> > the values in there are...)

> Spocalc is off for the 7700 hubs, I don't know about other hubs.
>
> I measured 34.4 mm for the distance from the center of the left flange to
> the center of the hub, and 19.7 mm for the right flange dimension. I also
> measured 44.0 mm for the diameter of the spoke hole pattern (same as
> spocalc). Even if you use the spocalc listed values for the 7700, you won't
> be far off in the spoke length calculation (0.1 or 0.2 mm) because spoke
> hole pattern diameter is correct.
>
> The 7700 front hub dimensions are also different from the "Shimano Dura-Ace
> low flange" values listed in spocalc. I measured 71 mm for the flange
> spacing vs. the 74 mm listed in the spocalc.
>
> Andrew

That's smashing chaps -- many thanks to DirtRoadie and yourself.

Tom

On May 31, 3:59 pm, Thomas Hood <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 31, 9:15 pm, D'ohBoy <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On May 31, 2:48 pm, Thomas Hood <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > The values in the spoke-calc spreadsheet are a nonsense (as most of
> > > the values in there are...)

> > > Thanks,

> > > Thomas Hood

> > Uhhhh... maybe for Dura Ace... I've only used the Campy values and
> > those are spot on... And why would you need to know the freehub
> > dimensions - it has nothing to do with the spoke length calc. Now the
> > hub body dimensions, on the other hand....

> Oh please! 'Freehub' is the term Shimano themselves use to describe it
> (http://tinyurl.com/2ogjmf). Jargon it might be, but 'freehub' was
> entirely unambiguous in that context.
>
> The spreadsheet calculation functions are useful, the data is not.
> I've only measured three hubs: an STX hub, an Ultegra 6500 and an XTR
> M965 with flange spacings all ~54mm respectively which are listed as
> 60.6, 56, and 58.4 respectively.
>
> > Before you look and sound stupid, think about what you say/write....

> > D'ohBoy

> Indeed.
>
> Tom

Huh. Nothing I said was incorrect. Nor stupid.

Yah, know, if you do the math, the MAXIMUM difference in spoke length
due to those differences (assuming you used good measurement technique
and a good set of calipers) on a given erd rim would be (drumroll
PLEASE!) 0.2 MM!

HOLY SHITE MAN, HOLD THE PHONE!!!!!!!!! TWO TENTHS OF A FUGGIN
MILLIMETER!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed.

Good luck with your wheels. And try not to sweat the small stuff.

D'ohBoy

are the dimensions for the 7700 different from any other shimano hub
or other shimano hubs in that price or performance range? The common
hubs are of the same dimensions last I checked. Shimano changes the
hub insides and materials but not the outsides: similar dimesion molds
are used to pour metal.
the LBS spoke calc works but it doesn't lead you with instructions.
That is, there's a 'path' to the right answer but the software does
not instruct on how to get there! Of course that's none geek. A geek
would read the screen and come up with the right answer. If the clicks
click the switchs.
The calculator Harris uses has the same problem.
best solution is bracketing the best spoke length guess with spokes
3-5mm longer shorter-8 each-
and building a 2x4 dishing beam with hole for hub axle. finagle that
to choice during not conceptually.
block up the rim diameter on the tubah to spec the wheel's dish
then install 8 spokes in four quadrents to see what happening at that
length.
seperate and ID the spoke lengths.
wal sells metal rulers. use a bright light. place a cabinet door
magnet on the ruler for a stop.

On Jun 1, 10:01 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> are the dimensions for the 7700 different from any other shimano hub
> or other shimano hubs in that price or performance range? The common
> hubs are of the same dimensions last I checked. Shimano changes the
> hub insides and materials but not the outsides: similar dimesion molds
> are used to pour metal.
> the LBS spoke calc works but it doesn't lead you with instructions.
> That is, there's a 'path' to the right answer but the software does
> not instruct on how to get there! Of course that's none geek. A geek
> would read the screen and come up with the right answer. If the clicks
> click the switchs.
> The calculator Harris uses has the same problem.
> best solution is bracketing the best spoke length guess with spokes
> 3-5mm longer shorter-8 each-
> and building a 2x4 dishing beam with hole for hub axle. finagle that
> to choice during not conceptually.
> block up the rim diameter on the tubah to spec the wheel's dish
> then install 8 spokes in four quadrents to see what happening at that
> length.
> seperate and ID the spoke lengths.
> wal sells metal rulers. use a bright light. place a cabinet door
> magnet on the ruler for a stop.

finagle-drive/cluster/right side down allows the hub to rest centered
on the beam in a hollow?