Does anyone have any experience with the rivendell roly-poly tire?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Smokey, Apr 8, 2003.

  1. Smokey

    Smokey Guest

    i did a search on here and found a couple of posts, but nothing conclusive. sheldon brown gives them
    good reviews on his site. i'm mainly interested in mileage, ride, and puncture resistance.

    Tags:

  2. On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 10:22:01 -0400, smokey wrote:

    > i did a search on here and found a couple of posts, but nothing conclusive. sheldon brown gives
    > them good reviews on his site. i'm mainly interested in mileage, ride, and puncture resistance.

    I love them. They're the best riding tires I've ever used, and I've been riding since 1972.

    I finally replaced the back tire on my Rambouillet at about 2200 miles because I was worried it was
    getting a bit thin in the center of the tread. I never had a flat with the tire. They're best
    thought of as a cushy high performance tire, something you might want to compare with a Michelin
    Axial Pro, rather than a heavy duty ultra-long mileage touring tire like a Conti Top Touring.

    There a goodly number of folks on the iBOB list who are using them. You might want to look though
    the list's archives, maybe even join and ask.

  3. Smokey

    Smokey Guest

    Steve Palincsar <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 10:22:01 -0400, smokey wrote:
    >
    > > i did a search on here and found a couple of posts, but nothing conclusive. sheldon brown gives
    > > them good reviews on his site. i'm mainly interested in mileage, ride, and puncture resistance.
    >
    > I love them. They're the best riding tires I've ever used, and I've been riding since 1972.
    >
    > I finally replaced the back tire on my Rambouillet at about 2200 miles because I was worried it
    > was getting a bit thin in the center of the tread. I never had a flat with the tire. They're best
    > thought of as a cushy high performance tire, something you might want to compare with a Michelin
    > Axial Pro, rather than a heavy duty ultra-long mileage touring tire like a Conti Top Touring.
    >
    > There a goodly number of folks on the iBOB list who are using them. You might want to look though
    > the list's archives, maybe even join and ask.

    thanks, steve, i appreciate your feedback. by the way, what is the iBOB list? sounds
    interesting. those Rambouillets are nice bikes. maybe someday my budget will allow me to have
    one. smokey

  4. On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 04:01:45 -0400, smokey wrote:

    > thanks, steve, i appreciate your feedback. by the way, what is the iBOB list? sounds
    > interesting. those Rambouillets are nice bikes. maybe someday my budget will allow me to
    > have one.

    It began life as the Bridgestone Owners' Bunch, and when Bridgestone closed up shop, migrated to the
    internet. It's a mailing list whose members are interested in Bridgestone and Rivendell bicycles and
    the philosophies of those companies, lugged steel frames, traditional and practical cycling
    technology, and a whole lot more. By far the nicest most interesting mailing list I've ever been on.
    You can search the archives or read messages at:

    Rivendell's introducing a new line called Romulus which are built with Rambouillet geometry, simpler
    lugs, and are sold as complete bikes (sans pedals and saddle) rather than as frames. About $1500 for
    a complete bike, equipped at Sugino XD/Shimano 105 level.

  5. Smokey

    Smokey Guest

    Steve Palincsar <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 04:01:45 -0400, smokey wrote:
    >
    > > thanks, steve, i appreciate your feedback. by the way, what is the iBOB list? sounds
    > > interesting. those Rambouillets are nice bikes. maybe someday my budget will allow me to have
    > > one.
    >
    > It began life as the Bridgestone Owners' Bunch, and when Bridgestone closed up shop, migrated to
    > the internet. It's a mailing list whose members are interested in Bridgestone and Rivendell
    > bicycles and the philosophies of those companies, lugged steel frames, traditional and practical
    > cycling technology, and a whole lot more. By far the nicest most interesting mailing list I've
    > ever been on. You can search the archives or read messages at:
    >
    > Rivendell's introducing a new line called Romulus which are built with Rambouillet geometry,
    > simpler lugs, and are sold as complete bikes (sans pedals and saddle) rather than as frames. About
    > $1500 for a complete bike, equipped at Sugino XD/Shimano 105 level.

    i found the site, steve, thanks for the tip. lots of opinions (most of them positive on rolly-polys
    and ruffy-tuffys). i'll be lurking there a lot. smokey