Does anyone have any experience with the rivendell roly-poly tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Smokey

i did a search on here and found a couple of posts, but nothing conclusive. sheldon brown gives them
good reviews on his site. i'm mainly interested in mileage, ride, and puncture resistance.

S

Steve Palincsar

On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 10:22:01 -0400, smokey wrote:

> i did a search on here and found a couple of posts, but nothing conclusive. sheldon brown gives
> them good reviews on his site. i'm mainly interested in mileage, ride, and puncture resistance.

I love them. They're the best riding tires I've ever used, and I've been riding since 1972.

I finally replaced the back tire on my Rambouillet at about 2200 miles because I was worried it was
getting a bit thin in the center of the tread. I never had a flat with the tire. They're best
thought of as a cushy high performance tire, something you might want to compare with a Michelin
Axial Pro, rather than a heavy duty ultra-long mileage touring tire like a Conti Top Touring.

There a goodly number of folks on the iBOB list who are using them. You might want to look though
the list's archives, maybe even join and ask.

S

Smokey

Steve Palincsar <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 10:22:01 -0400, smokey wrote:
>
> > i did a search on here and found a couple of posts, but nothing conclusive. sheldon brown gives
> > them good reviews on his site. i'm mainly interested in mileage, ride, and puncture resistance.
>
> I love them. They're the best riding tires I've ever used, and I've been riding since 1972.
>
> I finally replaced the back tire on my Rambouillet at about 2200 miles because I was worried it
> was getting a bit thin in the center of the tread. I never had a flat with the tire. They're best
> thought of as a cushy high performance tire, something you might want to compare with a Michelin
> Axial Pro, rather than a heavy duty ultra-long mileage touring tire like a Conti Top Touring.
>
> There a goodly number of folks on the iBOB list who are using them. You might want to look though
> the list's archives, maybe even join and ask.

thanks, steve, i appreciate your feedback. by the way, what is the iBOB list? sounds
interesting. those Rambouillets are nice bikes. maybe someday my budget will allow me to have
one. smokey

S

Steve Palincsar

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 04:01:45 -0400, smokey wrote:

> thanks, steve, i appreciate your feedback. by the way, what is the iBOB list? sounds
> interesting. those Rambouillets are nice bikes. maybe someday my budget will allow me to
> have one.

It began life as the Bridgestone Owners' Bunch, and when Bridgestone closed up shop, migrated to the
internet. It's a mailing list whose members are interested in Bridgestone and Rivendell bicycles and
the philosophies of those companies, lugged steel frames, traditional and practical cycling
technology, and a whole lot more. By far the nicest most interesting mailing list I've ever been on.
You can search the archives or read messages at:
<http://www.bikelist.org/mailman/listinfo/internet-bob>

Rivendell's introducing a new line called Romulus which are built with Rambouillet geometry, simpler
lugs, and are sold as complete bikes (sans pedals and saddle) rather than as frames. About $1500 for
a complete bike, equipped at Sugino XD/Shimano 105 level.

S

Smokey

Steve Palincsar <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 04:01:45 -0400, smokey wrote:
>
> > thanks, steve, i appreciate your feedback. by the way, what is the iBOB list? sounds
> > interesting. those Rambouillets are nice bikes. maybe someday my budget will allow me to have
> > one.
>
> It began life as the Bridgestone Owners' Bunch, and when Bridgestone closed up shop, migrated to
> the internet. It's a mailing list whose members are interested in Bridgestone and Rivendell
> bicycles and the philosophies of those companies, lugged steel frames, traditional and practical
> cycling technology, and a whole lot more. By far the nicest most interesting mailing list I've
> ever been on. You can search the archives or read messages at:
> <http://www.bikelist.org/mailman/listinfo/internet-bob>
>
> Rivendell's introducing a new line called Romulus which are built with Rambouillet geometry,
> simpler lugs, and are sold as complete bikes (sans pedals and saddle) rather than as frames. About
> $1500 for a complete bike, equipped at Sugino XD/Shimano 105 level.

i found the site, steve, thanks for the tip. lots of opinions (most of them positive on rolly-polys
and ruffy-tuffys). i'll be lurking there a lot. smokey

Status
Not open for further replies.