Does anyone have this bike?

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by DIRTBLASTER, Sep 14, 2005.

1. DIRTBLASTER

DIRTBLASTER New Member

Tags:

2. Freeheel Nick

Freeheel Nick New Member

I would not recommend riding a bike that was assembled by a Walmart employee.

Get the bike if you want, but then take it to a reputable bike mechanic to ensure that everything from wheels to head set and every other wrenchable part is sound before riding.

3. konaman132

konaman132 New Member

A few months ago there was an article in Dirt Rag Magazine that said that Walmart and some other company were being sued for selling death trap bikes!!! So I would think twice about buying a bike from Wamart!!!!:eek:

4. fatbottomedgirl

fatbottomedgirl New Member

I've never had a walmart shwin, but I've beenthrough their Mogooses and the brand Next.
    mongoose #1: axel crumbled after 6 months
    mongoose #2 : stolen
    Next :- Pedal snapped off crossing the street, leaving me sprawled in front of a minivan ( after 6 months!)

since then I won't ride walmart poo , and i won't let my friends do it either - I'd rather pay to buy a an older, good quality bike from a seconhand store have my LBS tune it up, and give it to them as a gift . They are definitely out there - bought one Giant iguana for a a friend, and My boyfriend an old but sturdy Trek. Poor guy, He's only gotten to read that bike once because I've started stealing it to ride to work because the weather and roadeconditions are too iffy for my Road bike . The Giant was $35 and the unstoppable old trek, $10 :D That old bike is 10 times the bikes those walmart piles were . oh - and old Shwinn road/commuter bikes are easy to find and theyre not all clunky varsities.

funny thing : after a few months , I noticed the shifters on the walmart bikes went to crap.the Giant was perfect right away, the trek just needed to be ridden to work great- and that bike had been neglected!

5. RockyRides

RockyRides New Member

My wife bought the Schwinn Aluminum Comp from WW although I was trying to talk her into a Trek for twice the price. The WW bike had OK components- Shimano drivetrain and SRAM grip shifters, and its alum. frame was pretty light; but the steering on the bike was almost scary (it wandered quite a bit). After a ride on my Trek, she decided to take the Schwinn back and get a Trek of her own.

6. biggsmoothe

biggsmoothe New Member

i think the moral of the story is to find an lbs and get them to set you up w/ an entry level bike. :D i guarantee they'll be able to answer 100 times more questions you have than the Wal-mart employee that gets called over to help you get the bike down off of the rack. plus its good to build a relationship w/ a shop if you really get into the sport. :)

7. Norwood1026

Norwood1026 New Member

I have to agree with the others here Wal-mart bikes & those that come from retail stores arn not good bikes save your money if you have to & go to a REAL bike store your child will thank you& you'll thank yourslef when the bike doesnt break & seriously hurt him/ her.

8. A.J. Adams

A.J. Adams New Member

We have two Next Bikes from Wal-Mart and have had plenty of problems with them. The wheel bearings went out on one after a couple rides as they were not lubed when the bike was assembled. Problems with the brakes, ect. My Mongoose came from Wal-Mart, and it has been excellent. Other than the kickstand breaking off, it has been perfect.

We will be replacing the Next bikes in the upcomming months with some quality bikes from a local bike shop.

9. dvddobson

dvddobson New Member

when you go to a real bike shop dont tell them you went to walmart they will respect you more

10. NXT

NXT New Member

buying a walmart bike is suicidal

11. theloops

theloops New Member

walmart is garbage, get a cheap bike from the classifide adds or somthing!

12. tiger588

tiger588 New Member

13. Wherebob

Wherebob New Member

You get what you pay for. It may run good for you for a little while (if its assembled properly) but it will break down over time.

Not a fan of department store bikes myself.